main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Emporer's Control Over Vader

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SLR, Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Episode III has not come out yet, so we don't know the exact catalyst or circumstances that lead to Anakin's turn to Vader. However, based on the already released 5 films, we can surmise some of the reasons for his turns. Based on AoTC, you see that Anakin wants power to do good. He also has an "ends justify the means" mentality. I think this desire for power and his "ends justify the means" mentality makes Anakin an easy target for Palpatine to convert into a dark lord. My question is if Anakin turned thinking he could use this power to bring "order" to the galaxy, why would he have stayed w/ Palpatine for so long when it was readily apparent that Palpatine had no interest in making the galaxy a better society in which to live? Was it fear of the Emporer? Was it despair? Did Vader believe that he made a mistake but felt he was stuck w/ it because either he could not defeat the emporer or the forces of good would never accept him back after all he had done?

2. Darth_Shade

Darth_Shade Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm not sure if from Vader's point of view he wasn't doing good until ROTJ's final confrontation. I mean think about it he's brought order to the galaxy,wiped out his hated Jedi foes,etc. He may have thought the galaxy except the Emperor turned evil but, then in ROTJ relized he was wrong and was biding his time to turn Luke and try to turn the galaxy into what he wanted.

3. DellowFelegate

DellowFelegate Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002

I like Yoda's explanation.

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

The Dark Side is not like a bad job or a bad date. It is not something you can step away from once you realize it's not for you. In essence, going to the Dark Side means yielding to the desire for more and more power. Once a person has begun grabbing after power, said person never stops and says "Well, that's enough power for me. I'm through." Accumulating power becomes a lifelong obsession, hence Yoda's insight.

There is another irony here in that Vader, by joining the Sith, becomes #2 in a two-man operation. Thus he comes full circle, becoming once again a slave.

4. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    "....if Anakin turned thinking he could use this power to bring "order" to the galaxy, why would he have stayed w/ Palpatine for so long when it was readily apparent that Palpatine had no interest in making the galaxy a better society in which to live?"

I think Palpatine holds such a powerful influence over Anakin that Anakin is going to be totally in awe of the guy when he asks him to help bring order to Galaxy. In AotC, it's already established that Anakin holds Palpatine in high esteem, even to the point where he'll argue with his Master over Palpatine's integrity as a politician and essentially with Padme as a galactic figurehead.

I think Vader sticks with Palpatine because, as mentioned above, he is helping to bring order from the chaos, albeit through force. It's when he finds out he has a son....and therein a living link to his fomer life....that he starts to falter and doubt what the devil he's doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.