encoding help

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ChancellorGoauld, Oct 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. ChancellorGoauld Force Ghost

star 4
    I have encoded a 1 minute videe/audio file, at 480x272 and it's come out at 10 meg, and I feel this is too high, I feel it should be under 7 meg.

Here are my settings

Video:
    Sorensen 3
    Millions
    15 fps
    square pixels 1.0
    100% quality (I found changing this doesn't affect file size)
    limit data rate to 125 (any less and the compression is too noticable)

Audio:
    32 khz
    16 bit stereo
    IMA 4:1
    interleave 1 second (what is this?)
    Enhance Rate Conversion OFF (what is this?)

Where can I improve?
  2. grand_admiral_ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    I am able to have 24fps files come to 10MB per minute. What you must do is change the actual frame size of the file (ie the resolution). A smaller physically sized video means one that takes up less space.
  3. ultimateguy Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yea, if you make the frame smaller, that should improve filesize alot.
  4. ChancellorGoauld Force Ghost

star 4
    erm yeah well it doesn't look as good at lower resolution :p
  5. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Knight

star 3
    try altering the limit data rate setting can make a big difference (assuming you haven't already done so)
    higher the data rate = bigger file
    :)
  6. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I've been trying to get a good compression using Sorenson, and I can't either. Your settings are pretty well the same as the ones I used, and about the same filesize as a result.

I would be interested to hear how to improve things (and actually get a decent image) as well. Dropping the bitrate any more just produces a blocky image, and while reducing the image size does work, it doesn't actually acheive the desired results (large 'full res' framesize)
  7. ChancellorGoauld Force Ghost

star 4
    well a lot of movies at starwars.com are 480x272 (same size I'm using), and they seem to be getting lower filesizes.
  8. WhisperingDeath Jedi Master

star 4
    I will be distributing in both divx and On2 because Sorenson is too big of an encoder for anything larger than test files IMHO.
  9. MoffJake Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't forget to use keyframes. If you keyframe every 2 seconds or so you can decrease the bit rate with very little decrease in spatial quality. So I would set key frames every 30frames (for a 15 fps video) and then drop the bit rate to maybe 90 or so. If your image isn't very clean, apply a soft blur to it so that it keyframes more efficently.

And don't forget that you can use MP3 for the sound at much lower bitrates than IMA or QDesign.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.