main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

encoding help

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ChancellorGoauld, Oct 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChancellorGoauld

ChancellorGoauld Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2002
    I have encoded a 1 minute videe/audio file, at 480x272 and it's come out at 10 meg, and I feel this is too high, I feel it should be under 7 meg.

Here are my settings

Video:
    Sorensen 3
    Millions
    15 fps
    square pixels 1.0
    100% quality (I found changing this doesn't affect file size)
    limit data rate to 125 (any less and the compression is too noticable)

Audio:
    32 khz
    16 bit stereo
    IMA 4:1
    interleave 1 second (what is this?)
    Enhance Rate Conversion OFF (what is this?)

Where can I improve?

2. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I am able to have 24fps files come to 10MB per minute. What you must do is change the actual frame size of the file (ie the resolution). A smaller physically sized video means one that takes up less space.

3. ultimateguy

ultimateguy Jedi Master star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Yea, if you make the frame smaller, that should improve filesize alot.

4. ChancellorGoauld

Jul 6, 2002
    erm yeah well it doesn't look as good at lower resolution :p

5. QUI_TIN_TARANTINO

QUI_TIN_TARANTINO Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    try altering the limit data rate setting can make a big difference (assuming you haven't already done so)
    higher the data rate = bigger file
    :)

6. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I've been trying to get a good compression using Sorenson, and I can't either. Your settings are pretty well the same as the ones I used, and about the same filesize as a result.

I would be interested to hear how to improve things (and actually get a decent image) as well. Dropping the bitrate any more just produces a blocky image, and while reducing the image size does work, it doesn't actually acheive the desired results (large 'full res' framesize)

7. ChancellorGoauld

Jul 6, 2002
    well a lot of movies at starwars.com are 480x272 (same size I'm using), and they seem to be getting lower filesizes.

8. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I will be distributing in both divx and On2 because Sorenson is too big of an encoder for anything larger than test files IMHO.

9. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    Don't forget to use keyframes. If you keyframe every 2 seconds or so you can decrease the bit rate with very little decrease in spatial quality. So I would set key frames every 30frames (for a 15 fps video) and then drop the bit rate to maybe 90 or so. If your image isn't very clean, apply a soft blur to it so that it keyframes more efficently.

And don't forget that you can use MP3 for the sound at much lower bitrates than IMA or QDesign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.