main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Encrypted Curses

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Missninfan, Feb 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    We don't need to swear anymore, cuz we have :) :( [face_mischief] [face_devil] :D [face_laugh], etc.

BTW, is @%$@#$%$%#$%#$@%@%@#% allowed, as long as we don't include any actual letters? It's more a cartoon-y swearing, that's not really used when somebody's, uhh, ticked off or mad, just joking around.

2. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    We don't need to swear anymore, cuz we have :) :( [face_mischief] [face_devil] :D [face_laugh], etc.

BTW, is @%$@#$%$%#$%#$@%@%@#% allowed, as long as we don't include any actual letters? It's more a cartoon-y swearing, that's not really used when somebody's, uhh, ticked off or mad, just joking around.

3. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I think Missninfan has been having an ego and power trip. And in such short time of being an admin,

This feels like Nazi control to me.

And editing someones message because it went off topic? Just tell the person it is off topic. Editing someone elses words that were not offensive is just wrong.

This is getting pathetic and I now know why so many other boards laugh at us.

4. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I agree with him on the editing the post bit. Just not how he said it.

I personally don't see the problem with this kind of cussing.

Those members who are old enough to know what it means will. Those who arn't won't even see the word.

but hey, I guess my opinion doesn't matter. Thats the impression i get here recently anyway. Mind you, it probably won't be here longer than 5 minutes! ;)

5. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    Yeah, I killed a troll last night, and you edited it. Sure, it was off topio, but would you rather I replied to his threads on-topic ?:) Probably not :\
    Go ahead and edit cuss words, but this censorship of 'off topic' replies is really getting out of hand!

6. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    So would that mean that using acronyms like 'wtf' is now considered against the rules?

And will this be used by all the mods across the boards?

Looks like we're cleaning house in preparation for the influx of new members/visitors that will be happening pre-Episode II.

So in other words, if it's not something you'd say to your grandparents/religious leader/parents/boss or want them to overhear you saying, then keep it to yourself.

Just don't let any Disney people in. They have the horrible tendency to insert questionable images into their rated-'G' films . . . .

7. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    That's a valid question. What if a whole word is replaced with asterisks? Maybe some of the current admins weren't here long enough to remember it but this used to not be a big deal at all.

8. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    This seems like opening a can of worms due to a few individuals out of several hundred, but since the best defense is not to offend, some further clarification on what *could be* considered offensive
    is needed.

I have a question about words/phrases that have been left alone on otherwise edited explicit posts, but I find offensive or non-family-oriented.

Can I post them here or pm you? Please let me know.

Also, is there a hierarchy of questionability? Does it depend somewhat on context?

And is there an ezboard that's somewhere in between the slacker council and the jc? imo both are drifting too far to the opposite ends of the spectrum

9. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    Josh laid down the rules that asterisk cussing is not acceptable, neither are the letters W-T-F; to him it's the same as cussing (which it is if intended to replace the real words), unless you're spelling out "Where's The Fan" which everyone knows you're not referring to. jumbled letters, I believe, is the only "expression" acceptable, just as long as they don't spell anything other than keyboard strokes, like *(^&%#@$~!?>^*+, which is a universally acceptable way of "grumbling".

:)

10. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    :mad: @#^&$*&@<$@#!!!!!! :mad:

11. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    And yet still JGM's thread title "I'll be #^%!ed" is open, and not considered questionable. Is this cuz it praises admins? Is it alright if we suck up to a moderator first? Why hasn't this been changed, huh?

12. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    I didn't think *all* curses were banned...people have mentioned in other threads on this before that hell and damn are used in SW, so they would be unlikely to be banned here. At least, that's what I thought...

13. McNerf-Burger

McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 13, 2000
    What if someone were to say a curse word in Japanese pig latin with an Italian accent? Would they be destroyed. Not that I would ever do such a thing, for I know not how to speak Japenese. But there are some who would do this indeed, is it allowed?

14. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I still don't believe that starred curse words without letter prefixes would be disallowed.

15. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    son_of_the_tear, I really don't care what you think.

Keo, thank you. These aren't rules that I wanted to impose for no reason. Josh made it very clear what he expects from this place. My job is to implement it.

16. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    The question is how and to what degree will this be implemented?

Will it be done like the radio stations and ban just the 7 deadly words, or will it be certain words and also certain contexts (i.e. flaming, trolling even when there is no explicit language).

Mainly asking since it seems the rules have been allowed to become a little too lax, imo, but going to the other, more inquisitorial extreme is neither realistic nor will it help foster a spirit of togetherness here.

17. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    OK.

As keo said, something unambiguous like @#*$(&&@!!! would be fine, as it is known as "grumbling."

But **** is not. "**** you" is not. As far as I remember, Josh didn't like seeing WTF on these boards, and thought they were unacceptable.

18. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    What about;
    E Chu Ta!
    ...kriffing...
    Zeebub!

19. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    I don't think Josh would mind, "E Chu Ta!" as it is dialogue from TPM. Right, Missi? Right, Josh? GL wrote it, so it could be stretched to mean GL said it, is my take. ?[face_plain]

20. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    "E Chu Ta!" Is from ESB, not TPM, that's "Bantha Poodu!"

3PO: Nice to see a familiar face.
    Other droid: E Chu Ta!
    3PO: how rude.
    *Bleep, bloop*
    3PO: That sounds like an r2 unit, I wonder if...

21. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    thanks, me bas ackwards today. :D

22. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, that'd be fine. :)

23. Jedi Kylenn

Jedi Kylenn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 1999
    In terms of actual words, I think the JC goes by the "Simpsons Rule" meaning if they say it on the TV show "The Simpsons" then it's O.K. to say it here.

24. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Ah, now that's a refreshing guideline :D

And it gives me something something enjoyable to research!

25. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    I don't think that's a good guideline. Some of the stuff said on the Simpsons would not fly here.

Heh heh. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.