main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Encrypted Curses

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Missninfan, Feb 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    a) It's spelled Poodu
    b) The big GL confirmed in a recent interview that if he had've translated Poodu into english, his movies would've recieved a higher rating in some countries. Presume from that what you will, but I'd assume it means...The bad word!

2. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    think it comes down to intent. What is the intent of those words you are disguising. If it is a bad word, then it's a no-no. I believe this is Josh's intent. My personal opinion is if Cleo or Missi or Josh or Vert doesn't use it, we don't use it. jumbled letters/characters usually denote "grumbling" and is acceptable just as long as it doesn't spell a real word. :)

3. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    ? @#$%# = Allowed.
    ? **** = Allowed.

4. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    I think MaxVeers is the only one listening here.

If you say **** it's not allowed. If you say ******* that's fine. I have NO IDEA what you're saying.

If you say F$#% that is not allowed.

If you say (*@&#$*&@#($&!!!! that's fine.

As long as it's totally unclear as to which curse of choice you're using, fine.

I'm gonna kick the sith out of you, is not acceptable.

Sith Happens is.

This isn't silly; it's pretty simple, folks. :p

5. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    Can I say "darn it to hell"?

Hey look, I just did. :-D But seriously, Han Solo says "hell" in ESB and "darn it" is not a bad word, right?

6. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    Yes, that's fine.

/// secretly bans the jedi apprentice

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    You're only telling us to use words that SW characters would use. Geez, quit beating around the bush and get back to work! ;)

8. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Come now Missy, it's silly. :p

Now ****'s ARE allowed? Now I'm thouroughly confused. It appears as though the rules are changing daily now instead of weekly.

//stressed

//over it

9. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    Padme, I think Missi was saying is that if you use 4 asterisks for the 4 letters of the f-word, that's a no-no because it's obvious what your intention is/means, but if you use 6 asterisks for a 4 letter word, she wouldn't know the difference. As said previously, I think it's seeing the actual intent of your starts. Of course, until we get further guidance from a higher source in management, we are at this point.

10. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    Yes, make it really UNCLEAR what word you're using.

Like, **** you, is obvious.

)*@#%*^!^!1! Isn't.

11. JarvisW

JarvisW Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2000
    What about canadian slang like nob and hoser?

I'm not trying to be rude, just asking cause I'm not canadian.

12. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    well, i take 'hoser' as a joke (i am canadian), but i know some canadians are offended by it... I'd say no to both.

13. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    And we're not allowed to put 'not so bad' ones in our sig? (ie: B*tch, B@stard, etc)

14. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    JW, Josh said, no bad words, no even in sig. More so, not in sig, because sigs are posted each time. I'll have to dig for his posty back 2 months ago when language got really bad over the Christmas-New Year holidays.

15. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Conservative tightwads r us.

16. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    I think this whole "no cursing" thing is stupid. Dont you have to be at least 13 to be a member? So its not like anybody here is alittle kid. the mods here are to strict. you cant hide from reality. cuss words are real, and they dont really hurt anybody.

17. ArtyEwok

ArtyEwok LFL Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 18, 1999
    I'm not going to ban anyone for using 'hoser'. Ugh..

people are actually offended by that?

No offence, but.. yikes.

:(

Edited to add.. If someone's offended by my remarks, I apologize..

18. Uwanna Buyer

Uwanna Buyer Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 14, 2000
    Pyrus, see Strange Brew. Great movie, and lots of use of the word 'hoser'. :)

19. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    The names escape me, but there wre some 'stereotypical' Canadians that said Hoser alot, too.

I suppose we can't say 'eh' or 'aboot' too.. cause, ya know, they're stereotypes..

Hey, can you pass me another beer? And not that wimpy American stuff, eh. It's aboot time I sat on the chesterfield with my touque and pet beaver (The rodent.. biiig rodent) and my club Z(ZED) card.

The best thing aboot being a Canadian is having the ability to make fun of ourselves, and laughing, not booing, at South park's Canada stuff. That was sooo funny.

:)

OTOH, I do believe that big, bad cussing shouldn;t be allowed here, but if We were to ban anything that might offend anyone, we wouldn't have anything left to say. There are people out there offended by the words 'manhole' and 'woman' and 'life jacket' (It's a PFD! Hee.. personal Flotation Device. I get a kick out of that.).

That said, there's a fine line between being offensive and being a smartass and saying something with innocent intent.. it all depends on Context.

I'll repeat that again.

CONTEXT CONTEXT CONTEXT.

Got it? :)

Amy

20. Uwanna Buyer

Uwanna Buyer Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 14, 2000
    You're thinking of Bob and Doug McKenzie, the main characters of Strange Brew and the Molson commercials. They were characters on SCTV, and even have a CD out. It's ******************** hysterical!! [face_laugh]

Can I say that?

21. ArtyEwok

Mar 18, 1999
    Yes, Uwanna.. that's who I'm thinking of. :D

I love their '12 days of christmas' song.

And a Beer... in a treee!

Teehee.

Very Funny.

22. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    And each passing day, the JC is becoming one huge republican breeding grounds.

No offense to republicans out here, seeing as I am republican. But a liberal republican.

And of course, we now get admins who think they are our mommy and daddy. *cough*missninfan*cough*

Sorry, this is getting silly.

Hoser? SOB? WTF?

Now those words too? And the last two being just being jumbled letters. And you cannot prove that a user mean what those words could mean. WTF could mean "what the freak", an expression used alot in Philly and in West Palm Beach and other places. And SOB can also stand for "son of a beast", another expression not as commonly used. So, you cannot censor that.

This is so stupid! It is getting out of control. Am I the only one who sees this and admits it openly? I know many many others who feel this way but dont want to admit it freely.

23. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Republican? I see an equal part political correctness, which is largely a liberal concept. Of course it's silly but what can you do? It's their board. If they want to change the rules every few days regarding what we're allowed to say then they can. They don't accept our input so there's very little point arguing about it.

And if I can jump in before keo comes in here a smoochin', the admins (or managers or governors or whatever they're called this week) probably find the rules just as silly as the peons do but they have to enforce them. Don't blame the messenger. Ok, keo, go ahead.

24. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
  25. JediWarrior

Jun 7, 2000
    So if womyn in a personhole become a female dog about us utilising words such as lifejacket, we should just remind them that herstory has proven that singing hers is good? Not sure I follow :p
    Arty, didn't you know you were a Canadian, hmmm, guess I gotta stop posting hatemail about you now. [face_devil]
    Final question, if we're not allowed to put the term 'Commie *****" in our sig, what about http's? Like www.*****pillow.com is in some sigs, and its really not hurting anybody. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.