main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Encrypted Curses

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Missninfan, Feb 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    *gives Padme Bra lotza genderless smoochy smoochy kissseeees* :D [face_love] [face_mischief]

2. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    son_of_the_tear.....

Hmmm... Well, you're not happy with these major changes, eh (sarcasm if some ppl can't tell...)?? If you don't like it, maybe you should find a place that allows such things and stop complaining about this place?

3. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    [CENSORED]

4. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
  5. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    You should not just tell everybody "if you dont like it leave".
    without the members this board would be nothing. some mods seem to forget that.
    maybe they let the power go to their heads. Perhaps they have narrow-minded religious beleifs that they believe everyone should have, but since they cant convert everyone, they try make people conform to there moral code.
    you should be more accepting of our input.
    it seems that many mods ignore it.
    I feel the rules are to strict.
    There is not supposed to be any members under 13. Yes, there could be children lurking here, but most will not understand ***k 0r sh**. The ones that do understand have most likely already been exposed to cussing and are not bothered by it. I think all words (except racial slurs) should be allowed here. I could understand banning someone for death threats or excessive flaming, but casual cussing is a part of real life. Even if you dont cuss, you will certainly hear it during your lifetime.
    You cannot shelter people from reality.

But I'm just a member, so I suppose my opinions don't count for poodu do they?

6. BelleBayard

BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Mar 16, 2000
    Hmmm... Interesting how much energy everyone's been expending on this thread. Okay, I'm an adult (heh... and howdy), but I can understand the caution about using curse words. Yes, you hear them everyday (and I mean everyday and in some too young mouths, to boot), but does that mean you *have* to use them? Isn't there a better way to express yourself? I can live with damn and hell, but some of the other stuff should stay untyped in a board like this. While some may say that's part of life, I concur with the 'admins' that in a place dedicated to SW it has no business rearing its ugly head. Hey, after twenty years in the Navy I can cuss along with the best of 'em, but I *choose* not to for the most part. OTOH, I'd love to write more steamy stuff, but since this is where it is, I keep it pretty durn clean. You have to know your audience. Why do you think JA is so clean spoken? Even the EU stuff has very little cursing. Because folks, cursing isn't an absolute necessity. If you're ticked, there's plenty of other ways of saying it. So get off the band wagon and think before posting that *())(&(*^)(*_)*)& stuff for everyone else's eyes to behold.

'Nuff said. Off my soapbox and back to lurker status. ;)

7. Uwanna Buyer

Uwanna Buyer Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 14, 2000
    If you don't like it, leave.

8. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    GL doesn't cuss, TFN doesn't cuss, the JC doesn't cuss. That's the way it is. If you want to cuss, please go to the appropriate boards that allow that, like the SC. :)

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    This place is full of friendly helpful advice, I demand we see less of this and more them vs us tensions...........

Although on a serious note, why has Josh et al decided to start changing things now, I have been coming here since mid 99 and it only really seems of late that things are cracking down. Is this a new vision for the JC or just a refocusing or what?

10. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    I understand it has always been policy, but the mods can't be everywhere, all the time, 24/7. The cussing started proliferating around the holidays, and think Josh thought it a good time to start the new year with cleaner language here.

11. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I think so too.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    You say SC allows cussing.
    Where is SC?

13. Missninfan

May 6, 2000
    As for my, "If you don't like it, leave" comment, what's so "mean" and "wrong" about that??

This place has 30,000+ ppl. If anyone here honestly believes this place has the capacity to accomodate each and every member, you're dreaming.

My solution? Pretty simple. Leave... Sorry things didn't work out for you while you were here, but we can't please everyone.

14. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    oh, oh, Missi found Chyren's big boots and big stick. :eek:

15. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Amazing how just a few asterisks can get everyone's panties in a bunch.

If you've got something to say to someone and you think swearing is the only way to say it, pause and think of something else to say that won't cheapen your language. It isn't too difficult.

At the same time, don't be so restricting of what people want to say. If they choose to use asterisks instead of actually typing out the word they intended, let them do it. What's worse, having a user actually typing out a word or the user taking the time to censor it themself???

16. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    what's so hard about putting in 6 asterisks instead of 4, which is already an understood four letters always used in cussing. just 2 more strokes on the keyboard, same key, too. [face_mischief]

17. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Remember Pyrus, I'm not *really* Kyle. ;)

18. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Yeah, aren't you really jasman? ;)

19. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    All we need now is Rod Serling's ghost and we'll be all set.

20. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I must say I don't agree with the "don't like it....leave" attitude.

Yes we have 30,000 registered members but you all know as well as I do that a very small fraction of them actually post regularly. Then add the socks and the banned usernames and it probably leaves us with a few hundred regular posters at the most.

I feel that such an abrasive attitude towards regular members is only contributing to the ever growing member/admin divide.

Furthermore. Being from the UK I see words on this board which are considered offensive where I come from. You wouldn't catch a cartoon over here saying words like that! (referring to the "simpsons rule" )

I personally don't find those words offensive but some of my fellow UKers might.

Being a worldwide board makes this issue difficult enough to regulate.

IMO regulation should not be attempted in this manner.

end rant.

21. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    seems like we are trying to create some mythical family friendly forum

22. No blasters!

No blasters! Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 14, 2000
    [sarcasm] Warm! Fuzzy! [/sarcasm]

23. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before but would [censored] be accepted in stead off a curse or *****'s?

24. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    (censored) is appropriate, I believe, as the cuss words aren't hinted at closely enough to be figured out. That is why Missi says it's ok to use alot of asterisks, but not four asterisks as everyone already figures out what the four asterisks mean.

25. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    LOL. 'He used the wrong number of asterisks when censoring his curse word. Banned.'

I think there's serious need for a reality check here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.