main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Encrypted Curses

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Missninfan, Feb 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    To be exact, theF word is not a bad word. It is a word invented by the catholics and it is really an abbreviation.

It stands for:

For
    Unlawful
    Carnal
    Knowledge

That is what the F word means and it was invented by the Catholic Church and is used by the Church. So, now we cannot use words approved by the church?

2. Crystena77

Crystena77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 1999
    Wow that's almost clever.

I'll humor you for a moment. Since I'm not Catholic and would balk at being held by THEIR guidelines of what is or is not acceptable - I don't think that's appropriate.

A more standard guideline would be the dictionary, since people of all backgrounds use it. In the dictionary that word is described just as you have stated, but with the clarification that it is "vulgar slang". Vulgar slang does not belong on a family forum.

3. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    That's right. 'Almost' being the operative word.

4. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    So, I am not caholic neither. I'm Jewish.
    But the term has a double menaing, there is the real meaning and then the slang version.

And I can less if you think it is not clever or not. Do you see me caring?

I swear, this board is filled with prudes.

5. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Funnier if you consider the fact that, except for the Van Halen splinter group, the Church traditionally uses Latin, so the acronym would be completely different . . . .

6. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Totally unrelated to the subject of what rules are being enforced this week, I just want to comment on McNerf-Burger's little pompous statement. I have the education and intelligence to express myself as pretentiously and verbose as any Ivy League pseudo-intellectual. I choose not to because I don't want to come across that way. I know people who truly are geniuses and are respected in both academia and the business world who curse a blue streak on a daily basis. So you can argue that profanity is offensive or un-Christian or whatever, but don't argue that someone who curses is less intelligent that you just because you own a Thesaurus.

And if everyone looked to the Catholic Church for guidance on how to live we'd still be oppressing women, thinking the Earth was flat, and condoning genocide.

7. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    But you do come across that way! ;)

and don't get me started on catholosism

8. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    As I was told when I was IP banned a couple weeks ago, religious names and threads are unacceptable.

So you intolerant [censored] can go [censored][censored] until your [censored] dancing [censored] wildebeest [censored] jumping jacks!!!! :mad:

Why, the nerve of you people!

9. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    No, not an urban legend at all. I learned that in my theology classes.

Intolerant? No one here amde any intolerant statement what so ever, so get a grip. I state again, I am not even catholic. I am ************ Jewish.

Thatw as way more asterix then what the word I was thinking about really is. SO, no harm done.

Second, religious threads are not allowed. Religious name are. So, what now, if someone has a screen name called Darth Moses or Darth Jesus, now they ar banned to?

I mean, I understand when religious threads get out of hand and insult people. But religion should not be illegal on these boards. I mean, again, it is like a ********************* Nazi control here.

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Well, if you wanna get reaaaally technical, the f-word is dreived from a Dutch word which refers to two cattle copulating.

Anyone else notice that Missninfan hasn't posted in this thread in a while???

11. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    This is stupid. Sorry to disagree with you, Missy, but this is totally dumb.

Since I've been here (about a year and a half), people have been free to mask the cussing and it has been considered appropriate. It's no different from a TV show/Radio program using be (bleep} button.

As in kiss my (bleep), you (bleep)ing (bleep)(bleep)ing (blank) of a (bleep), etc... ( I have images of Happy Gilmore, when they're trying to edit one of his rampages for TV)...

I think this is a case of going too far over the politically correct side. I am not one for using profanity much, but an occasional Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot isn't going to ruin somebody's life, and shouldn't be bannable.

Outright swearing and flaming of course should be, but come on --this is a little too extreme. aka dumb.

I think the admins should be better spending their time by looking for trolls and redundancy, and not worrying if someone says @$$ or ****.

Nuff said. Ban me if you want --I'm fairly fed up with this place anyway, and this kind of stupid mega-enforcing of the rules is pointless and dumb.

ED:eek:h yeah, it's OK for an Admin/Mod to abuse his powers , pose as George Lucas and he gets a self imposed spanking, but if I say this is utter B***-***t, that's bannable? Get real.

12. Missninfan

Missninfan Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 2000
    I already admitted I didn't mean for this thread to become so tedious.

You guys are the one continuing this thread. I'm just sitting back and seeing who here actually gets it.

I'm not surprised by those who don't... heh.

Oh, and the fact i'm working 2 jobs, kind of takes time from my "adminning."

13. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    Obey, the mods have been very good at their modding. We the members have been pushing the limits on language here. There was a round of very bad language/content during the holidays, and Josh put the kabosh to that at the beginning of the year, probably to set the pace for the new year. The mods are carrying out their orders to clean up language/content and keep it clean(er). I don't want to hafta to dig for that posty from Josh; it's like 2 months ago. Why is it so hard to not cuss, to use alot of asterisks instead of four, using 6 asterisks instead of the in-your-face 4 is just 2 more key strokes. I work for the Army; hear it, see it, cuss with it, too, in real life, but that's with adults over age 18 that use it. Do I cuss in front of the chaplain? No. I don't do it here on the boards. We can monitor what our fingers type. It does get creative to cuss "cleanly" and I hafta laugh sometimes as I search for appropriate words to use. If we can't find appropriate words to use, then it definitely means those bad words should not be used. This is a family forum, G rated for GL. Its owners have set the policy and the mods are charged with ensuring its quality. We are the bestest; we have the quality, clean topics, clean language that we never have to apologize for. You're a great member here; sure don't want to lose you.

14. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I swear, this place is getting to be like in that movie, Demolition Man.

Pretty soon, meat eatrers, smokers, talk about movies that are not G andpeople who listen and talk about music that is not a radio jingle will be banned and fined.

*a 500 dollar fines pops out of my computers disk slot*

DOH! It's starting already!

15. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    Meat eaters, chicken eaters, vege eaters, sounds like a great barbeque coming up. [face_laugh]

16. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    LOL! We're discussing the etymology of the f-word . . . .

son_of_the_tear, you must not read many of my posts . . . . hello, that intolerance post was clearly meant as humor . . . .

And sorry to correct you, but religious names are not allowed. I was IP banned for posting as L-U-C-I-F-E-R. If you like, I can post the unban request response I received from the mods. They may not be consistently enforcing the rules, but that is what I was told from the source.

I was also told that if I follow the rules then there will be no problems. The problem is the 'certain point of view' thing and standardizing enforcement of the rules regarding perceived infractions. There are grey areas which are glossed over because the mods are so busy.

So again, don't believe everything you read and think about what you're posting/edit it asap to avoid problems . . . .

17. Sith Vicious

Sith Vicious Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 1999
    It could be that you got banned because your name was mistaken for that of a troll with a similar name.

18. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Nabooty, I have read your posts and if you read mine, you will see I am filled with sarcasm and I was being humerous too. Why do you think I typed up a gazillion asterix all over the place? :)

Anyway, I think it is so ludricous to get banned because your SN is Lucifer. I remember when that happened.

That was just plain silly!

So, what happens if we get a spanish user on the boards whose name is Jesus and he wishes to post as his name or Darth Jesus?

This is getting crazy damn it!

*a fine for 1000 credits pops out of the disk slot*

19. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    For the acronym, it was actually used it Midiveal (sp) Europe, at a time when Kings were traditionally given the first night with a noble's new wife, and warriors were allowed to astiate their carnal appetites by having their way withj peasants. It actually stands for
    Fornication
    Under
    Consent of the
    King

20. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    JW, you have been busy with the research button. :)

21. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    That acornym is way off. That is not what the word stands for. The word stands for people who ingage in fornication before marriage.

"Unlawful" carnal knowledge

22. keokiswahine

Sep 4, 2000
    wow, lotza research; lotza origins. :)

23. Uwanna Buyer

Uwanna Buyer Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 14, 2000
    Who the ********************** cares what it stands for? Just don't be usin' it here. :)

24. Sith Interceptor

Sith Interceptor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 1999
    Missy, have I ever told you I @#%* you?

Love is such a dirty word. ;)

25. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    The word love is a bannable offense here dude, so watch out!

Cause the admins, you know, they argue that love leads to kissing, and kissing leads to heavy petting and heavy petting leads to lust and lust leads to thrid base and thrid base leads to a home run and now we have a problem...

//banned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.