main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga &end . . . Dare Challenge response - Luke/Leia/Vader - severe AU

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JediNemesis, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    This was written for the "I Dare You!" challenge, after I was dared by Anakins_Force to satisfy the following:

Darth Vader executes Leia while she is a prisoner on the Death Star. (In this AU, he is still her biological father, and she is still Luke's twin sister.)

This was the result . . .

Title: &end
    Era: circa ROTJ, looking back
    Characters: Luke, with Leia and Vader mentioned
    Genre: About as A as AU gets. :p

Word count: For the challenge, entries had to come in between 1,000 and 2,500 words. This clocks up 1,665.

Quickie warning: This is right up there on the scale of the weirdest things I've ever found myself writing. Not violent or nasty, just . . . weird.

[b]DISCLAIMER[/b] All Your SW Are Belong To Lucas

[hr]

[i]&start;
    Find {168:/919/552/002.smp} &run;
    Analyse {012, 012} &run;
    Isolate {406, 102} &run;
    Search ?Full? &run;
    CorrelationAlgorithm ?FullSpectrum? &run;
    ResultsRank {ascend} &run;
    ResultsSelect {100} &run;
    ResultsPackage &run;
    PackageName ?firstrank? &run;
    PackageSaveAs &run;
    [blockquote]&start;
    Find {?firstrank?} &run;
    Analyse {012, 012} &run;
    Isolate {406, 012} &run;
    CorrelationAlgorithm ?Crossmatch {168:/919/552/001.smp}? &run;
    ResultsPackage &run;
    [blockquote]&start;
    PackageName ?evidence? &run;
    PackageSaveAs &run;
    &end;[/blockquote]
    ResultsPresent ?Full? &run;
    &end;[/blockquote]
    SystemState ?ActiveStandby? &run;
    &end[/i]

The datapad begins to hum as I finish inputting the last command, and its screen quietly goes blank as it turns all of its meagre processing capacity to interpreting the instructions I have given it. Beside me, scrawled in my own awkward handwriting across a crumpled sheet of flimsy, are two twelve-digit numbers. One of them is the number that has become, over time, as familiar as my name. Archive 168, sector 919, subsector 552, sample 002: the precise location in the central database of the blood sample taken from me the day I arrived aboard the Death Star.

Somewhere in those vast memory banks is a record of the blood of every sentient ever to set foot aboard this station. Somewhere else, deep inside the cold caverns of the uninhabited sections near the centre, is the blood itself, filed neatly inside two hundred and thirty towering storage columns chilled to six degrees below zero. The blood archives are unlike the rest of the Death Star; all dim red light and the slow throb of the cooling systems, to be in one is to imagine yourself reduced to the size of a single cell, floating in red light as the heartbeat of the host surrounds you.

Only the cold is unnatural.

It chills you to the very core of your being. Down among the blood, in the red half-light, even a vacuum suit keeps out little of the cold. It was in the deep archives that I found the second number that now rests by my hand; the barely legible writing is a consequence of holding the stylus in fingers that could barely move. A little questioning and a little luck brought me there, to column 168 and a smudged label with a name I knew very well indeed.

Not hers. Her surname was Organa, for her adopted father.

Four years ago; it seems like forever has passed since I came aboard the Death Star, and I had heard her name for the first, last and only time on that first nightmarish day. The twenty years of life on Tatooine before that have faded almost into nothing: the interrogation I underwent destroyed part of my memory and damaged more. They say that what is not known cannot be missed, and perhaps it is true. Little of who I was remains to me. Sometimes I wonder if that is the reason why so much of what has happened seems . . . unexceptional, when doubtless to an outside observer the course of events would be beyond understanding.

Most of those serving aboard the Death Star now know me simply as Luke, the prisoner Lord Vader took a shine to, the quiet one who?s not quite all there. I come and go freely, on Lord Vader?s orders. The others know I am not to be obstructed. There

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Nem, this was so chilling, almost horrific in its gentle way to telling the story. Even as I was reading, I was thinking about how badly Vader had treated his own son, how he had "deleted" a large part of who Luke was, how he was just a trophy or a doll to play with.

And yet the doll was able to find out some things that perhaps Vader didn't know. Loved the ending when he deleted the files so that Vader would never know.

Brilliant, Nem. Scary as hell but brilliant. =D=

3. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Wow! Well done. =D= Definitely a capital ?A? in AU. Interesting twist - Luke actually working on the Death Star for Vader.

Perhaps it really is only brain damage that prevents me fully grasping what I now am. I am healthy, able to care for myself, and the Death Star is not an unpleasant place to live once the mind adjusts to the permanent day.

My mind is fractured, incomplete, and I can no longer look at the world as another might. But I can understand, even if I cannot always explain. I found solace in data, truth in blood, and a home with the Empire where so many have found only death.

He is so complacent, passive and resigned so not the Luke we knew. Eerie.

Leia wanted peace. And peace is what we have, because with her death, and then with the destruction of Alderaan and Yavin, the Empire lost all sympathy the people of the galaxy had had for it, and not even the most tyrannical of rulers can force their will upon a people who would sooner die than obey. Free will is powerful.

I liked that you showed there was still a glimmer of hope for the overthrow of the empire. This would be a ROTJ which would scream for Episodes 7,8 & 9.

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Oh, this is very sad...:_| :_|

Luke willingly working for Vader :eek:

I couldn't help but symphatize with the poor guy, he'd been through so much.

Great job!! =D= =D=

5. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Chilling. And completely believable. I liked the perspective you used to tell the story. And the bookends of code worked very well to bring us into that AU and out again.

Brava! =D=

6. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    I am thrilled! The spin you put on this dare is exceptional!

Somewhere in those vast memory banks is a record of the blood of every sentient ever to set foot aboard this station. Somewhere else, deep inside the cold caverns of the uninhabited sections near the centre, is the blood itself, filed neatly inside two hundred and thirty towering storage columns chilled to six degrees below zero. The blood archives are unlike the rest of the Death Star; all dim red light and the slow throb of the cooling systems, to be in one is to imagine yourself reduced to the size of a single cell, floating in red light as the heartbeat of the host surrounds you.

This is description is so detailed, I can see the Imperial storage for the blood as if I'm watching a movie.

Most of those serving aboard the Death Star now know me simply as Luke, the prisoner Lord Vader took a shine to, the quiet one who?s not quite all there. I come and go freely, on Lord Vader?s orders. The others know I am not to be obstructed. There is no harm in me, not the desire nor the capability.

Vader was willing to do anything to keep his son with him--even take away his mind and his potentially dangerous command of the Force. How heartbreaking and selfish that Vader would make his son a lesser man on purpose.

SelectAll &run;
    LocateAll &run;
    EraseAll &run;

I love the title and how you integrated the computer terms.

I will not judge my father. She would not have wanted it.

Luke is so forgiving. How tragic that he lost his sister before he ever got to really know her.

a woman still as death, and in the arms of a man whose face I almost remember, not one child, but two . . .

:_| This is so haunting...

I am just amazed. I can't believe you did this with my dare!!! Thank you for making it so brilliant!

7. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    I'm in awe. That was absolutely amazing! How did you ever come up with such an original idea? I won't cite any lines from the story, because I'd have to write them all down here. I loved everything about this fic; its strangeness, the chilling atmosphere, Luke's almost cold thoughts on everything he did. He discovered all those things about his family, but he's too damaged to react to it in a way most people would. I loved how you showed his thoughts on the subject of his interrogation, that indifference, not even sure if it was a bad thing that he now existed in this way, even feeling a certain gratefulness for living on the Death Star. I really can't say anything else. It was simply brilliant.

8. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I'm short on time but when Anakins_Force told me that there's this 16 year-old that would blow my socks off, I thought o_O

Now I'm like :eek:

Consider my socks properly knocked off! Great job! =D=

9. Elana

Elana Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Wow. Strange, eerie, and sad. You write very vivid descriptions. The alternate universe you've created is compelling. I enjoyed it a lot.

10. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Hello there, everyone! :) I must say I'm quite surprised that this had any replies at all . . . thank you all very much. :D

diane this was so chilling, almost horrific in its gentle way Thanks. It was hard to do - but I do think that the quiet tone makes it rather more disturbing. [face_devil] I was thinking about how badly Vader had treated his own son, how he had "deleted" a large part of who Luke was But: Luke is alive, and well, relative to most Imperial prisoners . . . fair exchange? [face_thinking] Loved the ending when he deleted the files so that Vader would never know. Thankee kindly. I had a hell of a time trying to decide how to end it, but happily this way seemed to work. [face_dancing] Brilliant, Nem. Scary as hell but brilliant. I'm glad you liked it!

PadawanKayla Wow! Well done. Definitely a capital ?A? in AU. Thanks! :D He is so complacent, passive and resigned so not the Luke we knew. Eerie. I was trying to get across how the Empire has damaged him - who got the better deal, Luke like this or Leia dead? I liked that you showed there was still a glimmer of hope for the overthrow of the empire. This would be a ROTJ which would scream for Episodes 7,8 & 9. No! Bad plot bunny! Down! :oops:

KELIA Oh, this is very sad... I couldn't help but symphatize with the poor guy, he'd been through so much. Thanks for the 'very sad'. :) Great job!! I'm happy that you enjoyed it. :D

maychorian Chilling. And completely believable. Now that's a compliment. Thank you very much - I wasn't sure if this AU wouldn't strike people as totally implausible, but if it isn't then fantastic. the bookends of code worked very well to bring us into that AU and out again I have to admit, making up the computer code was great fun, once I'd had the idea. [/geek]

Anakins_Force Ah, the lady responsible. :p I am thrilled! The spin you put on this dare is exceptional! Glad you like it - thanks again for giving me the idea. ;) This is description is so detailed, I can see the Imperial storage for the blood as if I'm watching a movie. I sort of modelled it on the Jedi Archives - that sense of height and complexity - but red instead of blue, and cold. Vader was willing to do anything to keep his son with him--even take away his mind and his potentially dangerous command of the Force. How heartbreaking and selfish that Vader would make his son a lesser man on purpose. But at least this way Luke is safe from Palpatine's depredations - damaged but safe? I love the title and how you integrated the computer terms. Tee hee. That's the geek in me getting loose. [face_worried] I am just amazed. I can't believe you did this with my dare!!! Thank you for making it so brilliant! Half the credit's yours - you gave me the idea ;)

Indra That was absolutely amazing! How did you ever come up with such an original idea? Too much SW and not enough sleep? No clue. I loved everything about this fic; its strangeness, the chilling atmosphere, Luke's almost cold thoughts on everything he did . . . I loved how you showed his thoughts on the subject of his interrogation, that indifference, not even sure if it was a bad thing that he now existed in this way I'd say yes, exactly. I think a major factor in the strangeness quotient is that Luke simply doesn't realise how warped a world he lives in. It was simply brilliant. Thanks for reading! :)

Souderwan when Anakins_Force told me that there's this 16 year-old that would blow my socks off, I thought o_O Wow. [face_laugh] I'll have to thank her. Now I'm like :eek: . . . Consider my socks properly knocked off! Thanks! I'm glad you like it. *gives Souderwan his socks back* :p

Elana Strange, eerie, and sad. You write very vivid descriptions. I'm glad you like them; this story owes an awful lot to atmosphere, IMO, so a lot of description was involved. :p The alternate univers

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Once again, you have amazed and humbled me! Simply GORGEOUS! I'm sitting here just a bit shell shocked it was so good! Bravo! =D= Which is SO inadequate but all I'm capable of! :D

12. _ThatJediScum_

_ThatJediScum_ Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Simply amazing.

He murdered my sister, his own child. Some would say that is all the reason I need. To conceal the truth would not be justice. It would be mercy.

Leia wanted peace. And peace is what we have, because with her death, and then with the destruction of Alderaan and Yavin, the Empire lost all sympathy the people of the galaxy had had for it, and not even the most tyrannical of rulers can force their will upon a people who would sooner die than obey. Free will is powerful.

He murdered my sister, and yet she died for peace.

If she had lived, who is to say that the other deaths would have been averted? I cannot know.

I will not judge my father. She would not have wanted it.

Let the future judge me.

It's amazing that even after everything Vader has done, Luke can forgive him, pity him and show him mercy. It's just amazing to me that even with all the trama he has suffered Luke is still in essence Luke. He may not "be" the same or act the same or fuction the same because of the torture, but there remains a central core that is still Luke.

Luke's expressions may be a little detached or clinical but there is an echo if feeling and sentiment that lurks under the surface of his thoughts. That makes this piece slightly haunting and very beautiful.

I also loved Luke's thoughts on the effect the Darkside may have on a person's soul.

bran
    _ThatJediScum_

13. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    :eek: :_|

I think, esp in light of the PT and all the stories surrounding that, that people forget just what kind of atrocities Vader was capable of. How horrible, that that's what happened to Leia and that's what Luke has been reduced to. :(

The end was my favorite. It's so like Luke to give Leia the peace she deserves, the peace she never received in her lifetime. Well done! :)

14. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow! What a chilling and powerful vignette!

The things Vader would do to his own son! His chance for redemption is now truly gone! Truly wonderful vig!

An excellent response to the challenge! =D=

15. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    *stands in amazement, unsure of what to say*

Uhmm. Wow. That was so very unique and wonderfully written.

All I can think if is, great job!

16. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Hello everyone! :)

VaderLVR Once again, you have amazed and humbled me! Again? When was the first time? :confused: :p I'm honoured. Thanks. Simply GORGEOUS! Well, perhaps gorgeous wouldn't be my word of choice . . . I'm sitting here just a bit shell shocked it was so good! Bravo! Which is SO inadequate but all I'm capable of! Hehehe. Thanks just for taking the time to reply. Any and all feedback is highly welcome. :)

_ThatJediScum_ It's amazing that even after everything Vader has done, Luke can forgive him, pity him and show him mercy. It's just amazing to me that even with all the trauma he has suffered Luke is still in essence Luke. He may not "be" the same or act the same or function the same because of the torture, but there remains a central core that is still Luke. Yes, I think he is. I tried to bring that out, that damaged as he is Luke is still the same person with the same basic nature. Luke's expressions may be a little detached or clinical but there is an echo if feeling and sentiment that lurks under the surface of his thoughts. That makes this piece slightly haunting and very beautiful. Thanks very much for the haunting and beautiful [face_blush] and it's interesting you should say that, because the way Luke narrates is a lot different in style to the way original-Luke would usually speak, but perhaps not in intention. I also loved Luke's thoughts on the effect the Darkside may have on a person's soul. He's traumatised but not stupid, and even if he no longer understands it as 'the Force', it's plain to see that Vader's been changed by the life he's embraced.

Bri_Windstar I think, esp in light of the PT and all the stories surrounding that, that people forget just what kind of atrocities Vader was capable of. How horrible, that that's what happened to Leia and that's what Luke has been reduced to. What made ROTS for me was the illustration of Anakin's descent into darkness, and I think GL picked the perfect way to show how far over the edge he's gone - murdering kids. Vader, before he got to know his children, was a monster. I absolutely agree with you. [face_plain] The end was my favorite. It's so like Luke to give Leia the peace she deserves, the peace she never received in her lifetime. She's a pacifist, and I don't think it's stretching her character to say she'd sacrifice herself in a heartbeat if there was a chance for peace. Well done! Thanks!

Layren Wow! What a chilling and powerful vignette! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) The things Vader would do to his own son! His chance for redemption is now truly gone! Like I said in reply to Bri, Vader in the early OT seemed beyond redemption. It was a miraculous feat of Luke's to succeed. An excellent response to the challenge! I have no idea how this sprang from such an innocent dare. :p All kudos to Anakins_Force - she started it. :p

Jennifer_Lyn *stands in amazement, unsure of what to say* If I've left you speechless, that's as good as rave feedback. :p Uhmm. Wow. That was so very unique and wonderfully written. Thanks very much, especially for 'unique'. All I can think if is, great job! I'm glad you liked it.

Thanks everyone for reading! [:D]

Nem :D

17. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Ho. Ly. Smokes. [face_plain]

This reads like it was written by an old master of classic science-fiction. It has that quality of timeless, outstanding, rapturous horror.

When the hell is the next FanFic Awards so I can nominate this thing already?!

18. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Hey, you!

ThePariah This reads like it was written by an old master of classic science-fiction. It has that quality of timeless, outstanding, rapturous horror.: Whoa. Wasn't expecting that. Seriously, I'm honoured . . . I like classic sci-fi, but wouldn't dream of aspiring to those heights.

Haha, most of all thanks for this though:

Groveler of the Day to: Jedi Nemesis (&end)

Nem [face_blush]

19. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    [face_worried] (delurks)comes out like a classic Hammer horror movie, it's chilling so see Luke so broken, but it was very well done =D=
    (back to lurkdom)

20. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Oh gosh that was amazing. Creepily marvelous. Wow.

Excellent!

KD

21. JediNemesis

Mar 27, 2003
    Hello! Dare challenge I think is nearly finished - results will be up in a week or so! [face_dancing]

Feng_Huang First, hi and welcome. It's always great to see a lurker emerging from the gloom. [:D] comes out like a classic Hammer horror movie Hah! Yes. I'd love to see this as a black-and-white short - now you mention it, it does rather feel like an old-style horror. . . [face_thinking] it's chilling so see Luke so broken, but it was very well done Thanks very much. Poor Luke. I do so many bad things to him. (back to lurkdom) Hope to see you again soon ;)

Knight_Dilettante Oh gosh that was amazing. Creepily marvelous. Ooh, thanks, especially for the 'creepy' bit. Excellent! Thanks for reading - glad you liked it so much :D

Thanks everyone!

Nem :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.