main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC End of an Era: Traditional Saturday Morning Cartoons will end this fall

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, May 31, 2014.

1. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    On the subject of educational TV, how many of you remember watching "In the News" between the cartoons on CBS?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Gummi Bears were a good reason to get up on Saturdays.

Chancellor_Ewok and Juliet316 like this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Can't recall if they were on when I was watching CBS shows like "The Muppet Babies". By that point, that was pretty much all I watched. I did watch "Superman", but it was on before I could get up to see it. I mostly watched ABC and NBC. Well, NBC from 84-86 and then ABC from 86-91. Then it was FOX from 92-98.

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Disney Cartoons+Saturday morning= FTW.

You're welcome.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Those ran on the syndicated Disney Afternoon block originally (at least in the States), and it's one of the first times a studio actually seemed to care about the animated television shows they produced for children. Before it was mostly extremely poor-quality animation {see: Scooby Doo, basically anything Hanna-Barbera) and/or glorified toy commercials (GI Joe, Transformers).

6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    All the Disney shows that first started airing in the late 80's, were indeed in syndication. They aired either on FOX affiliates or on WGN Superstation. When Disney began focusing cartoons on ABC, it was with newer shows and that was after buying ABC.

7. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Anyone remember some of the undisputed worst Saturday Morning Cartoons ever?

Laverne and Shirley Join the Army and that damnable Rubik's Cube monstrosity.

8. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I definitely don't remember the latter. I do remember the "Donkey Kong", "Q-Bert" and "Pac-Man" series of the early 80's and the later NES inspired cartoons of the late 80's and early 90's era. In terms of worst cartoons ever, I never really watched ones that I considered bad at the time. I guess looking back, that one cartoon "Kidd Video" would probably be the worst.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidd_Video

Interesting if was more in the vain of "Heavy Metal" in terms of content, but otherwise, very silly.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
  10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Didn't I post that one already? I love it. lol...

11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    With cartoons instantly accessible any time, do today's kids even care?
    Anyway I sometimes try to replicate the classic Saturday Morning Cartoon experience by watching various episodes of stuff on YouTube, complete with commercials. Revel in this:

I have to remember I didn't get to do this every Saturday because my parents stuck me in soccer and that's when the games were.
    Not the Gummi Bears. It was on Saturday mornings.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

No seriously. This was an actual thing, apparently.....

Juliet316 and FRAGWAGON like this.
  13. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I remember the Fonz cartoon. Execrable. Good find.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm more shocked that you think it was bad. The Fonz time traveling made it across the pond, and was essential viewing. You're sick in the head.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    There's also this. They couldn't find their way off the island, but the Professor could apparently build a starship out of palm fronds and coconuts.
    :confused: :oops:

Here's some awesomeness to wash away the crap

You're welcome. :)

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  17. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Dawn Wells did double-duty voicing both Ginger and Mary-Ann on that show (because Tina Louise didn't want to have anything to do with Gilligan's Island after the show ended). It kinda settles (or makes moot) that age-old debate.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I remember Laverne and Shirley being on that cartoon at least once. I don't remember seeing much of it.
    Sometimes vague, broad memories are better than specific ones. I can't really say what my Saturday Morning Cartoon schedule was before fall 1984 but just recall what was on, what I might have tried to watch or didn't get around to watching, changing channels from one to another, the morning sunlight coming through the windows, having toys out, the sounds of commercials and cartoon voices.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Now this I didn't know. Filmation really came up with a lot of weak sauce cartoons after they stopped doing DC Comics cartoons.

20. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

I'm admittedly not very familiar with Filmation outside of He Man and a little bit of Star Trek, but this is just patently ridiculous. And not in a good way.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    If you've seen those cartoons of the 60's and compare it to that slop, you can tell that is the case. They were definitely more kid friendly than in their earlier works. I think "Star Trek" was their last hurrah in terms of being not so kid friendly. Course, the DC cartoons of the 60's had story editor credits from DC veterans which probably helped, whereas Trek had Roddenberry and Fontana. Hence the quality is much better on those shows versus what Filmation did on their own.

22. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    What DC characters did Filmation do? I thought Superfriends was Hanna-Barbera.

EDIT: Sorry, you were talking about the 60's era.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

ST:TAS was also helped by the fact that most of the original cast returned to voice their characters. That helps a lot.

24. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    This sucks.

Sorry. Just had to get that out of my system. It really makes me sad, so many children will now miss out on a decades old tradition.

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

you almost had me there