main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, TRON Uprising & TRON Legacy

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by The2ndQuest , Mar 8, 2010.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Doesn't seem we have a thread here for either TRON film yet, so this seems as good a time as any because the New Trailer is up!

Fantastic. This really stunned everyone in the audience when I saw Alice in Wonderland the other night. And the music and audio seems beyond what some normal computer speakers can do justice with.

Great setup for the trailer and some stunning visuals. Lot of small details in there too, like the "you have no idea" line (considering how much time was spent in the computer world in the first film versus only a few seconds or minutes in the real world, what would 20 years be like in there?).

It was also revealed recently that, pending the film's performance, Disney already has plans in motion for Legacy to be the first film of a new trilogy, as well as a 3D animated series to hit the airwaves between films.

There's also a tie-in video game that's seemingly a prequel or lead-in to the new movie (with Olivia Wilde reprising her role for it) hitting the holidays titled TRON Evolution.

Pretty amazing resurrection of a franchise given the gap between the original the sequel is longer than that the gap between SW trilogies and probably only exceeded by the gap between The Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz.

(and, for those that may have missed the FX Test Footage Teaser Trailer, here's the link to that)

2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Looks awesome; I'm stoked!

The franchise resurrection is also that much more surprising given that the original film did not do well at the box office, but has gained a sizeble cult following in the three decades since its release.

3. Epicauthor

Epicauthor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    Um....WOW!

Just...yeah....WOW!

4. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I've always had a special place in my heart for the original movie. This trailer looks like they've taken those original concepts and turned them up to 11. Really great trailer. Really great mood created by the music. And the visuals look just stunning. The lightcycle clip at the end....PHENOMENAL. :)

5. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    When Tron came out and then in 1984 when The Last Starfighter came out those were the two movies that represented the overt, foregrounded intersection of videogame CGI and the movies.

But for me there is absolutely no novelty left to be scooped out of that tired concept. Every big budget action adventure has CGI effects that remind us of videogames. Movies based on videogames like Prince of Persia are almost commonplace. Add to that: Tron was not a good movie to begin with. It was Disney "The Black Hole" bad in that it took an interesting sci fi concept and Disneyfied it into a nearly unwatchable mess.

To some extent, maybe Disney has unlearned the moviemaking styles of Black Hole and Tron. But the effort to appeal to nostalgia for a movie that more or less failed at the box office for being an empty display of CGI will only remind people of all the movies since that have failed for being empty displays of CGI.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    In the "completely missing the point" marketplace, are you aware we would not really have things like The Matrix without TRON? That TRON wasn't just about special effects (though those special effects wouldn't be really touched in quality for nearly a decade), it was really the foundation of cyberpunk?

Remember: Neuromancer didn't come out until 1984. Stylistically, in terms of atmosphere and noir, it was thematically close to Blade Runner (also 1982 for those keeping track at home) but the human-computer interactions were revolutionary at the time. Yes, it was sweet and hokey as it was a Disney film -- and yes, that problem was magnified waaaaaaay more on The Black Hole -- but to sell it short as an empty CGI film is disingenuous.

Please also note, it failed at the box office because people didn't really get computers yet as well (and the movie was VERY VERY computer-user friendly, down to the name and "funny" things like Bit). WarGames (1983) was a very accessible film to people about the dangers of over-computerization and AI (similar to TRON) and grossed $79,567,667 (not bad for that time). As well, Tron DID gross double its budget back -- so while it didn't warrant a sequel it wasn't an abject failure. It also only cost $17mm to make which, with those special effects, was no small feat. Recall, the average budget for Star Trek: The Next Generation (5 years after Tron) was $1mm PER EPISODE. It exceeded Tron's budget in the first season.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think even the Disneyfied elements hurt it too much- the only really weak moments along those lines was Clu's performance early on and the random silly things towards the end like those bugs that come out of nowhere and play little part in things.

I also would have preferred they'd keep the MCP face as the creepier wireframe than the colorful Moses face they went with.

9. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Looking pretty cool, and I look forward to it. I always dug Tron. It's amazing that we're getting a sequel after all these years.

10. Master_SweetPea

Master_SweetPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Anyone know if this is with Tron 2.0 or a complete reboot?

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    The new film is a sequel to the original. I don't believe it has any ties with the game Tron 2.0, and assume it will ignore any storyline from that game (I've not played it, but I assume it had a sequel-type story).

12. Master_SweetPea

Master_SweetPea Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    Think about how Tron Ended, Flynn jumped into the MCP to exit, perhaps he has merged with the MCP, and that's why he hasn't left in 20 years?

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/images/2010/06/TRON_Wave5.jpg

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    At first I was planning to fully denounce the sequel as it lacked David Warner, but I see that Michael Sheen is the substitute. I approve.

16. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I saw the trailer a couple of days ago before Prince of Persia. Sold.

17. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Never seen the original all the way through but I have caught bits and pieces of it over the years. The only trailer out for Tron Legacy isn't anything special IMO but I'll still go see it since I'm big into sci-fi movies. I've been wondering how well this one will do since it's been 28 years since the original.

18. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I'll watch it in the theaters for sure. I'm HUGE on Tron, got the boxed laserdisc special edition set.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fincher & Pixar helping tweak TRON: Legacy

Seems some rough test screenings were held in advance of scheduled June reshoots for input from David Fincher, John Lasseter, Ed Catmull, Brad Bird, & Toy Story 3 writer Michael Arndt to help beef up "character, emotion, and theme", with some script pages subsequently done by Bird and Arndt.

20. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Good, because my main concern that character and emotion will be lost among the flashy cars and frisby things. :p

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Theatrical Trailer!

Though it doesn't blow me away as much as the previous trailer did, it still looks quite awesome. The effects for (presumably) CLU look flawless.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/tlpoyoff.jpg]

Poster :cool:

A good callback to the original:

[image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/tron1982poster.jpg]

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    TRON: Uprising animated series greenlit

?Tron Uprising? is the name of the new animated series from director Charlie Bean (?Samurai Jack?) headed to Disney XD in 2012.

Its voice cast, according to Variety, includes Bruce Boxleitner, Elijah Wood, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Mandy Moore, Paul Reubens, Nate Corddry and Lance Henriksen.

Wood, who will star in FX?s doggie sitcom ?Wilfred? as well, plays in ?Uprising? a rebel leader inside The Grid.