main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, Uprising, Legacy & Ares

Discussion in 'Community' started by edgejedi88, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    So I haven't been on lately, but whats the word on the Tron Uprising cartoon? Its getting treated worse than Young Justice with a midnight time slot. Is Disney hoping to quietly cancel it?

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope that Daft Punk returns to write the score for Tron 3. Legacy had the best soundtrack in recent memory, and the fact that it didn't get nominated for Best Original Score at the Oscars was an injustice.

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not a optimistic move, but no official indication. On the upside, if the new Disney exec is hot on Tron like he seems to be, maybe it'll stick around or get paired w TCW when it inevitably moves to XD.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I can never tell if there will be a new episode next week anymore since they don't seem to bother with commercials anymore. Weird timeslot doesn't help much either, but the news of Tron 3 might help. Networks are rarely ever able to recognize good shows and keep them going (like Spectacular Spiderman is long gone while the Ultimate Spiderman is... definitely not as good as Spectacular, no surprise given the source material, references aside, but a show can't live on references alone).

Somewhat ominous title this week, although the summary sounded pretty mundane, but this episode turned out a lot more interesting than I expected, although I've only been able to watch a few minutes so far (not much time on the TV right now), but what I did see was very intriguing.

So Able does know Tron (I think that's new? I've missed a few episodes unfortunately) and has been helping him with that regen tank. And he basically told Beck he knows, so happy to avoid that cliche of young superhero life (but then Uprising has avoided most of those cliches thankfully).

It would be interesting to see Tron paired with TCW, but considering they have all those Marvel shows to draw on, and given how much advertisement they're getting, especially compared to Tron, I'm not sure Uprising will last long enough for TCW to move over.

Another good episode, but heh, even in the show they're wondering what the grand plan is.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Uprising's soundtrack will be released via Amazon download on Jan 8th, with 20 tracks from the series.

Additionally, Hedlund has confirmed he's returning for Tron 3 (not that that is unexpected- did anyone really expect him to say no to his only big franchise?).

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Joseph Kosinski speaks about Tron 3

Collider: Please tell people the status of another Tron sequel.
    Kosinski: Well the only reason to go back, for me and I think for anyone involved would be if we could do something truly spectacular. We’ve been talking about it for a couple years and there’s always been this idea, a big idea, in the back of my head that we’ve been talking about. The idea itself, the notion of what the next Tron could be, is exciting enough that it would be worth going back to do it. Obviously we hinted some things at the end of Legacy, it’s kind of there for people to see what that potential is. So we just want to make sure that we have a script that delivers on that promise on an epic scale. I’ve said it would have to be our Empire Strikes Back for me to come back and for me to pull the whole team back together. I think we do have that idea. We do have the idea that feels big and really blows the doors off this franchise. It’s hinted at promises of something for two movies now, for thirty years, so it’s time to deliver on that. But the script’s got to be at a level that makes it worth going back for, because it’s a lot of work to make a movie like this and it’s a multi-year project. So we’ve got our writer Jesse Wigutow on it right now writing, and fingers crossed if it all comes together, as we hope it will, there could be another Tron in the next few years, and it’s going to be awesome.

Collider: My understanding is the studio is very enthusiastic about continuing Tron. Obviously they have new leadership under Alan Horn, have you actually talked to Alan and said, “How do you feel about Tron?”
    Kosinski: I haven’t talked to him directly. I mean, Sean Bailey was my producer on Tron, now he’s the president over there at Disney. So Disney has their full support behind it, which is great, but again it’s got to be the right story. It’s got to be a script that’s up to snuff and worth going back for. The idea’s there, the ambition’s there, the excitement’s there; but we need to have all the pieces in place before they would ever pull the trigger on that. So we’ll see. We’ll see what happens.

Collider: Obviously you’ll be done with Oblivion in April, then you’ll go on tour with it, then it will be a question of what project you want to do next. Do you think that there is a real chance that Tron could be the next project, or do you think there might be something that goes in first?
    Kosinski: There is certainly a chance, like I said; we’re writing the script now. Sometimes with these things all the pieces fall into place. I mean, we’ve been talking about this for years and we don’t have the script now, but sometimes things fall into place very quickly, and if everything lines up it could happen. That’s all I can say, it’s too early.

Collider: As I’ve mentioned many times, I loved the soundtrack, do you think that you would be able to get Daft Punk back again to do it?
    Kosinski: When it comes to building the team up for soundtrack they would absolutely be my first call. As to whether or not they would do it, it depends on what they’re doing at the time. They are very methodical in how they pick their next project, and they would only do it if they felt that they could dedicate themselves a hundred percent to that. I know they have another album coming out, I’m sure that’s going to be their next big project, which I assume is going to be followed by a massive tour. So, you know, hopefully if they’ve got the time and the creative willingness to dive back in. Remember, there are a lot of tracks that they created that I still have that I wasn’t able to fit into Tron: Legacy. So we’ve already got a head start on some great tracks for the future, which I’m really excited about. Like I said, they would be my first call.
    Collider: I actually don’t know how the soundtrack sold. Did it sell well?
    Kosinski: It did. In fact, where is it? I have a gold record here.
    Collider: Which is very unusual for soundtracks.
    Kosinski: Yes
    Where’s my gold record? Is it in there (he asks his assistant in another room. She say’s it’s in storage)?
    Kosinski: My gold record was delivered to me on the Oblivion set; it was in my trailer one day. Disney sent it over, Sean Bailey sent it with a very nice note that it sold whatever gold is, that must be a million copies I guess? And it was the highest selling soundtrack since the last Star Wars, The Revenge of the Sith. So that’s the highest soundtrack in seven years, or whatever that is. Like I said, that was a really wonderful thing; it was everything we wanted it to be.

Collider: From a design perspective, because I know you’re very passionate about design, have you already been thinking of cool ships and cool new additions to the Tron universe that you’ve been doodling when you have some time? Or is it still just in the brain and not on paper yet?
    Kosinski: It’s definitely there. I don’t want to say too much about it but the goal would not be to simply re-use. We’re not going to re-use the assets from Legacy, that’s no fun. If we’re going to do to it we’re going to reinvent all over again and it’s going to be a whole new generation for reasons that are very story-driven. That’s all I can say.

Do you see a sequel starting moments from when the last one ended or do you foresee some time passing before the next chapter might start?
    Kosinski: I think time has passed. It feels like we’re kind of real-time in step. So however much time has passed since Legacy came out would also have transpired in the real world. So it will still be contemporary. So let’s say if the Tron sequel comes out in 2015, then four or five years have passed since the last movie.

7. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    I thought episode 13 was a very interesting episode. Great character development for Beck. Also the character design for 'the stranger' was fantastic.

Pre-ordered the Uprising sountrack on iTunes, very much looking forward to adding it with my other Tron sountracks!

There seems to be a 19th episode showing now, not sure where that came from and the Tron Wikia page page for Uprising is saying that a second series has been ordered though I can find a source to back it up.

8. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    Amazing shirt available at Teefury.com today

[​IMG]

Also, episode 14 of Uprising was another decent episode!

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I had to order that the other day, thanks for the heads up :).

Finally caught up on the last 5 episodes- I had missed "We Both Know How This Ends" and had to wait to track it down before catching up on the subsequent episodes.

There's still a bit of episodicness to things that make it feel like filler- at least some of the episodes. I like that we've gotten a little more of Dyson (though I was dissapointed that the "project" wasn't the Rectifier- especially with it emerging from beneath the cityscape, it would have been how I imagined the Rectifier arriving in the real world would have looked like- just with Flynn's Arcade at the epicenter) as well as developing Page more.

I also liked the little nods: The Stranger's "Compressed Space" looking like the SHIVA laser lens (as well as the title logo animation to a degree) as well as the machine within taking on similarities to the MCP with the orbiting elements and the spinning chair.

Also "Tron Lives" using the "Flynn Lives" font and, of course, a Bit. :D

10. Mifunela

Mifunela Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2013
    Anybody else knew that the Stranger will survive before the episode ended? He is to awesome be killed in the episode he introduced. As far as i know he is a Cad Bane class bad guy.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    His annihilistic intentions set him apart from Cad Bane. I think it's too early to really classify him- not until we get more insight into him and Tron's history. Though my assumption is that he was the guard that saved Tron's life from Dyson.

12. Ciradan

Ciradan Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2013
    Yeah he is that kind of uberunique, uberpowerfulll and ubercoll character.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Unfortunately, Tron Sector is now confirming that it is End of Line for Tron Uprising- it has not be renewed for a second season (though I think we all had a pretty good idea that was the case after the timeslot change). They'll just be airing the last 3 episodes and that'll be that.

This, despite the solid sales this week of the Uprising soundtrack.

One can only hope we'll see a return around the time Tron 3 is released (or maybe another channel resurrects it? Might be some nice revenge for CTN to save Tron Uprising on their channel after Disney likely takes Clone Wars away from them).

14. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    It's being cancled? Kind of sad, not surprised, though.
    TRON is unlucky. I know it isn't because it is bad, because it isn't. It's one of the best legitimate sci-fi universes that has been coming out with new content in the past decade.
    Disney doesn't seem to want to give up on it, but nobody watches it or cares.
    Which is kind of confusing, given the pedigree of TRON.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Oh, lame. I liked this show.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The scheduling killed it, I think.

On the upside, when they first announced this series, they referred to it as a 10 episode microseries
    or miniseries so we got more than we were initially promised.

The funny thing will be if they don't show Bartik getting his scar in these final episodes, since that was the only plot detail they had told us initially, heh.

Though typing it now im starting to assume its gonna be Dyson's fault...

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This week's episode was quite good, though Tessler is far too easily convinced of the suggestion of deception and it's resolution.

That said, man, the show keeps finding new ways to use a lightcycle. That tank/jetwall trick? Bad. Ass.

Also glad to see that the Piece of Power subplot isn't completely left unresolved.

18. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    I hope we get a decent finale in the distant future.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, we still have 2 episodes left. I suspect the only major hanging plot thread will be Mr Compressed Space.

20. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
    I am so glad there is a 19th episode still to come because if it had ended at 18, with the knowledge of there not being a second series, I would have been highly unimpressed.

21. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    If there is a 3rd film, I really hope that they don't pull the invading program army idea again. That was just stupid, and really jumped the shark in my book.

I always thought the characters we see in the program universe were personifications of the actual programs. I didn't think we were supposed to believe that inside our computer and games there are human looking programs throwing frisbies at each other.

And I want TRON to actually be a central character in the movie.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the new Grid of Legacy was Kevin's attempt of giving the personifications he experienced in Tron actual digital form. He was definitely in pursuit of AI and new lifeforms.

In that context, the invading army makes complete sense- or, even if one believes they are personifications, the portal/laser has to perform sone level of conversion between the real and digital worlds- and it obviously can do so with the door swinging both ways.

However, I think we are all in agreement that we need more Tron in the next film.

Well, I'm beyond making predictions at this point, since Syrus (Sirus?Cyrus?)'s resolution was the one thing I didn't think they'd address only 1 post ago ;).

However, if we can just get Tron to turn into Rinzler before the series is over, the ending of this episode would have been a sad, but appropriate ending: We'd think Beck failed as new Tron due to Cyrus's sabotage and the death of that other character (i'll dance around the spoiler for now) and leave us with Clu in charge as he was in Legacy.

23. Rebel_Padawan

Apr 11, 2003
  24. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    So is that it? I haven't been following the news that super closely, I knew there weren't that many episodes left (not like Disney XD ever bothers to advertise Tron Uprising much anymore) but that does seem like a season finale, though not a series finale. Quite good, and at least it finally picked up on a few hanging plot threads.

This is the first time we've seen Cutler since the pilot, right? Creepy end, but at least they brought him back, a few episodes back when Mara and her friends seemed like the beginning of the uprising, I wondered what happened to his supposed rebel activities off-screen. Really cool to see Beck and Tron fighting side by side (not to mention his badass line), not sure if it'll turn out Tron is still infected or if they'll add a twist like they had enough of Tron's code to make a Tron copy/Rinzler or Tron is still going to end up as Rinzler eventually. Probably the latter, but still, nice to see Mara come around after she deals with her grief a bit. Also, I actually like Zed's character development. Way back at the beginning he seemed like the most annoying of Beck's friends, but now, after everything he's been through, he's the most level-headed and pro-Renegade.

I hope this isn't the end, I've missed a few episodes (the awful time slot hasn't helped), and I would have preferred the series finished up more things if this is the end, and like how it originally sounded (a dozen or so episodes showing the beginnings of a rebellion leading eventually to the events of Legacy), but at least the animation was awesome. Kind of sad Paige and Tesler were barely in the episode, but glad to see get so much of Tron and Beck. Here's hoping for more Tron, either Uprising or a movie.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Cutler was a couple episodes in, not the pilot. It would have been nice if he had had an episode between then and now, so his repurposing would have had more emotional impact.

The finale was pretty great- though it's a shame it ends ona cliffhanger. They could have retooled the last few minutes with an alternate ending that could have tied things up better- such as having Beck fail and Tron become Rinzler.

Well, while Beck's story will go unfinished for the time being, there is a little bit of a brightside to everything in that the broader strokes of the universe can be extrapolated from the events of Legacy so there's not a total sense of incompleteness.

-We saw some repurposed code enter Tron. Either that code leads to Rinzler (through code corruption/replacement, like the scars) or Tron is captured and the proceure is finished.
    -Even a repurposed program can fight their repurposing with the right memory jog- so Cutler is a nice foreshadowing of Tron's redemption in Legacy.

-Both of the above are done in way that, if once were to watch things in the order of Classic, Uprising and Legacy, the Rinzler/Tron reveal is not spoiled- but is setup better. So that helps the viewing order conundrum a bit.

-Clu shows up in Argon and supresses the uprising and Renegade (thus him in power during Legacy). [Perhaps this is the origin of the Rectifier initiative?).

-Tessler could sitll be in power, or maybe Clu/Dyson replace him.