main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, Uprising, Legacy & Ares

Discussion in 'Community' started by edgejedi88, Jan 25, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Everyone should.

You'd think lightcycles and disc battles would get repetitive after awhile, but they manage to do something fresh with them almost every episode.

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    I'm dissapointed that the excellent animated series Tron: Uprising is still not on DVD and/or Blu-ray. This would especially look stunning on Blu (though I would settle for regular DVD). It's disheartening to walk into a store and see so many sub-par shows on DVD/Blu, but still have some of the best series remain unreleased (I'm including the underrated animated Droids/Ewoks in that category as well)...

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It is on iTunes and Netflix though- but, yeah, having no physical release sucks.

Even the soundtrack was one of those Amazon ship-per-order special deals, not a regular mass printing release.

4. Blur

Aug 11, 1999

Yeah, I've seen the whole series once & can go back and watch it at anytime, but seeing it on Blu would be nice.....

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Being available on-line is great, but I still have a hard copy mentality. I know it's an age thing--a generational thing, and likely something I'll never quite get over. I have lots of friends in their 20s and even early 30s who think nothing of paying for something that only exists "out there". Me? I want to own it. Be able to hold it in my hands. Pretty soon I won't even have the option. Not going to be an easy transition for me.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    I'm the same way - I'm in my early 40's, and, for example, grew up with music CD's - so, those are still my preferred way to listen to music; I've never gotten into the whole I-pod/I-tunes format.

I've gotten into streaming in the last couple of years, primarily for films/TV shows I don't feel the need to own - and, IMHO streaming can be fantastic; you don't have to worry about going to a store & renting anything, and also another huge issue I've always had with DVD's is their tendency to scratch & therefore become unplayable (either completely or in certain parts of the TV show/film). Back in the early days of DVD's (early - mid 200X's), I used to rent a lot of them from Blockbuster and ran into this problem quite a bit. I've also had the issue where I've bought new DVD's and they're scratched, so I have to return them. This is not an issue you run into w/streaming - if you get a good stream, it's much more reliable than the DVD format. Though, the picture quality with streams can range from sub-par to DVD quality.....

That all being said, Blu-rays are now definitely my preferred format - the picture & sound quality is generally amazing, and they also are much more scratch-resistant than regular DVD's - plus, it's nice to have a physical format.

Hopefully the physical format will be around for a while longer. I predict that both DVD's & Blu-ray's will still be produced for a while, though the production amounts may be diminished due to the popularity of streaming (some new Blu's are already being produced in a limited quantity). This is why it's important that shows like Tron: Uprising & Droids/Ewoks be produced on DVD/Blu sooner rather than later for us collectors/fans of these series. If they wait too long to do this, the physical format may not be as viable 10 years down the road...

"CD's? What are those?" - the serious question I got from someone a while back when I mentioned that I only listen to music in the CD format...

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There'll still be physical formats for at least another format generation, as they are what help push the TV hardware manufacturers and stores want to push- and you're not going to get, say, 4K TV content delivery. There'll be a 4K format of some kind.

8. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Music is the one place where I have made the transition away from "Hard copy", but that took getting an iPod as a gift. I think the last CD I bought was the score to The Dark Knight Rises.

Absolutely. Streaming is just like an old school rental in that regard. I'm borrowing it.

Exactly. I run into the same thing w/RedBox and my local library system as well.

[face_laugh] I don't doubt it. I'm starting to understand how my parents felt when I would gasp or roll my eyes about technology from their youth.

Probably right as I finish upgrading my current collection from DVD to Blu-Ray :p.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  10. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    wait, what!?

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They've apparently been quiet on the development for the past year, but things have been progressing.

There's apparently another game in the works too, with Giorgio Moroder doing the music for the game.

12. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    Hopefully they don't overlook some of Daft Punk's themes.

Also I hope this prompts Disney to finally release Tron: Uprising on dvd finally!

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hopefully they'll still be bringing back Daft Punk.

And, yeah, a video release of Uprising finally would be great- not to mention the continuation they implied for when the next Tron film came out. No more excuses, Disney! Either answer our hopes or crush them!

14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Hopefully the script will be good.

15. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Great news re: Tron 3 - really liked Tron: Legacy....though, was never a fan of the first Tron (1982), even though I was a kid when it was released & I was the target audience - I guess I was too much into SW at the time ;)

Re: Tron 3, it is amazing that it took 28 years to make a 2nd Tron (1982 to 2010). And now, it looks like we'll get another Tron film only 6-7 years after the 2nd - if it comes out in 2016 or 2017. Very nice.

A lot of these old '80's franchises have made a great come-back in the past 5-7 years....i.e. Tron, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, Indiana Jones, Thundercats, etc.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though better than 28 years, 6-7 years is actually a very long time for a franchise sequel- Tron 3 should have been out in 2013 at the latest, really. It would have allowed it to ride the momentum of the video/VOD sales, Xmas toy success and Tron Uprising would have gotten a tie-in boost as well.

17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Wow, I thought that the window had slammed shut on this for sure. In an era when the gap between movies in a franchise is 2-3 years (and often only a year in the case of popular book adaptations like The Hunger Games, Divergent etc.), 6-7 years is a lifetime. At least in the case of Legacy it had the benefit of positioning itself as the "Next generation" and tapping into nostalgia. But there's a lot of lost momentum here that'll be tough to regain.

Not that I'm complaining. It's great news, and I'm particularly excited that Kosinski is back. I could pick nits about the script for Legacy, but it's one of the most visually impressive films I've ever seen.

18. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    True, but it just amazes me that there was a Tron Sequel at all, considering there were almost 30 years between the films. I guess I'm just looking at this in perspective. The fact that they're coming out with another one 6-7 years later is longer than I would have liked as well. I also agree that Tron: Uprising may have gotten the boost it needed if the third film had come out much ealrlier - as it stood, unfortunately TU was cancelled too doon. In any case, even though 6-7 years is a long wait between sequels, it's still a lot less than the wait between the first two films.

Tron: Legacy made me a fan, and led me to watching the original Tron (1982) and the superb Tron: Uprising - which is possibly my all-time favorite cartoon!

I'm not a huge fan of the '82 Tron - I remembered when it was out, but had no interest in seeing it at the time. Even then, I felt the effects were somewhat clunky & amateurish - again, I strongly preferred the OT Star Wars movies ...

As I said, a lot of '80's franchises have been getting revitalized in the past 5 years. I've also heard that there's a new Blade Runner film in the works - which I don't think is a good idea - but that's beside the point, I guess. The original BR also came out in '82 - so, if we see a new film in the next 2 years, that will be more than 30 years since the last (and only other) film...

It's possible that the 16 year wait between SW films (1983 to 1999) made companies realize that, yes, people who were kids when the original films/franchise was popular will still be interested in revisiting the franchise/characters 15/20/30 years later...obviously nostalgia has a lot to do with this.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm in a similar boat- it was my love and interest in Legacy that brought me around to appreciating the original film as well. The original film may be more kid-friendly, dryer and experimental than Legacy, lacking that nostalgic nobility and character pathos that drive Legacy- but the original film is what allowed Legacy to achieve/be about those qualities, which are only enhanced by the generational gap. If those things didn't exist in the original, their absence and/or contemporary threat of being discarded couldn't be felt in Legacy.

The script is, structurally, pretty flawless and tends to answer any questions about itself- the only thing that goes unexplained is the pig. There are no answers for the pig.

Juke Skywalker and Gorefiend like this.
  20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    -Olivia Wilde must return. She was one of the best parts about TL (the others being Michael Sheen and Daft Punk).
    -Daft Punk must return as well.
    -Cillian Murphy should play the main villain.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Of that list, Michael Sheen would be the least likely given his character's fate (though, granted, they left it open enough that he could conceivably have survived the destruction of the EOL Club). But I suppose that would also depend on the nature of Sam's backup flash drive.

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

I rewatched Tron recently. I still like it.

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I wonder if Tron would get a Rated PG-13 today as that's a serious head shot.

BAM!!! Right between the eyes!

Tron 3 should be like Gladiator meets The Matrix, which was kind of like the first Tron.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Probably not- that helmet gives it a more robotic vibe, even if he has exposed brains...

[​IMG]

25. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Reading these posts made me remember another reason why I really enjoyed Tron Legacy - the soundtrack by Daft Punk! Amazing! I'm really into techno-like music, though for some reason it doesn't seem to have been as popular lately as it was in the '90's & 200X's.