main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, Uprising, Legacy & Ares

Discussion in 'Community' started by edgejedi88, Jan 25, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I assume they wanted the toys to match the new style uniforms. That or, since technically the Grid v2.0 used the black suits in 89, and the white suits were from Grid v 1.0, that it makes more sense for the change to have happened between systems.

As for development time- officially, they started work on this in 2007, leading to the Comic-Con trailer whose reception convinced Disney to greenlight the film.

Unofficially, a sequel to TRON has been in the works since at least the mid/late 90's when Pixar was considering doing it, with more progres smade with the TRON 2.0 video game effort of earlier this decade, before the '07 effort suceeded.

2. whisperjedi

whisperjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2005
    Did anyone happen to read the comic books leading up to the movie. It was a prequel before "Tron: Legacy" and would like to find out if it offered any insights into the Tron mythos? Or was it just fluff material?

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I have them in my pullbox but haven't had the chance to buy/read them yet. From what I understand, Betrayal takes place before the events of the Evolution video game- presumably the events surrounding Clu's coup, while Evolution is set during the subsequent resistance (and, I'm guessing, Uprising will bridge them?).

I must say, after having seen the film a second time, there's a lot of stuff layered into it that makes it feel like it's paying off other backstory threads (particularly Castor/Flynn), and it makes me even more excited to watch Uprising to see if any of those threads further enhance those payoffs.

On a related note, besides the obvious "need more Tron" critique, I actually wish we had at least one scene earlier in the movie with Castor before the EOL Club sequence- either set him up as a potential ally early on so his subsequent betrayal has even mpre impact, or work in his deal with Clu earlier so that betrayal has a bigger "the downfall of Castor" impact.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yeah, the Castor scene reminded me too much of 5th element nutzo fight.

And yeah, it felt like a lot of the movie was missing.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I read the Betrayal comic (got the first issue, then read the graphic novel in a bookstore), and have a general idea of Evolution (didn't buy it, as the reviews were mediocre mostly, and the collector's edition, despite having a lightcycle model, wasn't quite enough for me to buy it at $130).

Betrayal was a two-comic mini-series that basically covers from after the original Tron up until Clu's coup. Kevin Flynn is having a bit of a hard time juggling all his obligations with a pregnant wife, running Encom (and dealing with the board too) and building a new Grid. Clu and Tron are both there, with some focus on Clu as we see his character develop in Flynn's absence and the beginning of his discontent, and Tron as he defends the Grid from emerging problems, the Isos show up, though Kevin is somewhat too busy with everything to notice until its too late. If I remember right the second half of the comic covers the pre-Legacy history pretty fast, especially the coup, but we do see more of Flynn's life post-Tron.

From what I've read and seen on Youtube, the Evolution game covers the events of the coup, with the player character being a security program made by Kevin Flynn to find out who or what is causing all the problems of the Grid. From what I've heard, the player character, named Anon, is the sympathetic program Quorra mentions in the movie, and Quorra herself is in the game, with the same voice too, I've heard. The opening video has an Iso accepting a position equal to Clu's, then there's some threat, and the game ends with Quorra in the Outlands.

Haven't played the game, but reviews weren't too favorably unfortunately. The comic shows the lead-up to Clu's rebellion. Partially its because as mentioned in the movie his mission was to make a perfect Grid, and the Isos weren't in his plan, but also there's something of a jealous son plot there too (I think?), with how Kevin can't spend all his time on the Grid. Clu was meant to fill in for Kevin Flynn when he was busy in the real world, until finally he literally took over. I think the movie has enough backstory, but I always like finding out more details (even if the art isn't the great, unfortunately).

I was disappointed with what they did with Castor's character, he had been seen in the trailers quite often, and the nightclub looked quite cool. I think I saw his betrayal coming when the Black Guard launched, but in the end he came off looking quite dumb standing there in his soon to be blown up bar. I can understand why he switched sides, since Clu was the winner, but yeah, I would like to see more of Castor in the past, and his history with Quorra and maybe Flynn.

Aside from that, the fight at the club was still very fun, especially when Kevin Flynn walks in, and I think at least one program literally kneelled before him, so despite Clu's propaganda, there is still quite a lot of awe around him (not that Flynn ever wanted to be seen as a god, but still).

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that tclub battle is easily the best acion sequence in the movie- has the most danger, the most change-ups and Flynn showing up to turn the tides for the resistance fighters was quite awesome. Not every day "God" shows up to join in on a bar fight ;).

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I was expecting Castor to duplicate the disk, or make an inferior copy to hand to Clu, then make his own run for the portal.

Did anyone check out the credits for these writers? Episodes of Lost, Felicity, Birds of Prey. I think some other show as well. Not exactly stellar. (OK, I know a lot of people like Lost, but Birds of Prey? Seriously?) When you look at those 'accomplishments', it's no wonder the story is a little lack-luster.

8. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    So I saw this a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I really dug it. Pure popcorn flick, just the kind I like :)

The music? Awesome! Tis now on my iPod :)

Visuals? The movie looked really great. Very snazzy and futuristic. I also liked the antique lightbike, with the cover. Great nod to the old film "Still the fastest thing on the grid" :) Although, I will have to admit that 3D was completely unnecessary. It usually is, and it didn't really add anything to the viewing experience.

Story? Sadly, kinda meh :( But bridges is really nice as Flynn. I like how he's still a lot like the Flynn from the original Tron. I had to laugh when he said something about Sam really messing with his zen :p

Also, I would have LOVED to have found out how Tron's programming got corrupted/rewritten by Clu.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Why is there no Tron: Legacy novelization? There are only kids books.

10. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Ugh. That seems to be a Disney thing. Make every piece of merchandise for their movies just for the kiddies :(

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies have suffered the same fate. The just get a string of bad kids books :(

edit: I forgot to mention, I loved The Black Hole poster on Sam's wall when he was a kid :D

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yeah, there were some really nice touches like that in the background.

How many Wilhelm screams were there?

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Surprisingly, it didn't seem like there were any to my ears.

yeah, The Black Hole poster was a nice touch, since it was sort of in that say weird era of Disney films as TRON was. Also fitting, as a remake of TBH is also in the works.

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Directed by Joseph Kosinski as well, actually.

14. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, when Flynn shows up in the Club is one of the best moments, especially with his... what do you call that outfit? Pariah, exile? But still, I love the cloaked look. Hm, maybe I'll go check the Art of Tron Legacy book next time I browse it at the bookstore.

Gotta remember to keep an eye on that Black Hole remake. Although I'm not sure I ever saw the original. I think I did, there was a robot called Maximilian or something like that in there, right?

Too bad Tron Legacy didn't get a novelization, it could've turned out well, depending on who wrote it. I know there were some kids comics based on the movie, and the prequel Betrayal comic, but not sure anything else aside from that. Although I thought some of the Pirate of the Caribbean books provided more background for Jack Sparrow? At least when I occasionally check a wiki, there's a lot of background on Jack's life, so I presume it came from a kids' book or something.

Hm, I had heard the same director was working on the Black Hole remake (though Tron Legacy was his first motion picture directing job, which turned out mostly well), but guess that means if there's ever another sequel it'll have to wait for the other movie first.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, this was their first theatrical film- a huge break for them for it to be such a huge movie too.

And ya know, after seeing the movie a second time (and being oddly compelled to go see it a third time immediately afterwards- which, to my recollection, has never happened to me before- next day/same weekend, sure, but never same day) I confess I just don't get the critical reaction to the story ("Nice!"/"That's what I'm talkin about!"/"Get some!" comment-dialogue critiques aside). I was impressed how well constructed it was- almost everything had a purpse and was either properly setup/foreshadowed in the film or an homage to the original.

Sure, there were ways it could have improved, like a scene introducing Castor early on (either as ally or betrayer) between the Disc Wars and Lightcycle Grid (so you don't slow down the middle of the film further by putting such a scene there), address the length of Flynn's exile (since they focused so much on that in the teaser trailer with the "you have no idea" line), have at least one more scene with Tron/Rinzler (in particular, I wish we had had one scene with Rinzler and Flynn meeting- while it's somewhat poetic that a single glimpse of Flynn could redeem Tron, it's not as satisfying or dramatic), perhaps Tron showing up at the end during the portal confrontation (though there's no way really for that to work without Tron being klled/defeated (and thus his presence unnecessary) or detracting from the powerful Flynn/Clu showdown) and maybe render some clarity to what was up with Clu's "Executor" (did he have a name?) regarding if he was an undercover resistance agent (thus his attempts to brown-nose his way into learning about Clu's Initiative) or not (just a wimp).

(and, if they had the budget, I kinda wish we could a had an awesome nightmare vision/money-shot by Kevin (or Sam) of Clu's command carrier emerging from beneath a crumbling Flynn's Arcade in the real world, the surrounding blocks reducded to rubble...)

But, while that could have improved the film from a story perspective, it doesn't mean what was still there was bad. Trimmed down or efficient, maybe, but not bad. Also, major kudos for taking the Star Wars approach and hitting the ground running- as I mentioned earlier, a lot of untold/unelaborated backstory gets payoffs here, and it really builds the world of Tron considerably much like talk of the Clone Wars, Anakin's father, the Jedi purge and the fall of the Republic/rise of the Emperor gave Star Wars a larger canvas in which the events of the movie dwell.

(not to mention that, as long as they maintain a consistent continuity, it holds amazing potential for TRON EU if one were to eventually watch/play/read everything in order- Legacy itself could end up being enhanced by such a thing).

But, yeah, I definitely agree- a novelization holds great potential for those same reasons.

EDIT- apparently the Executor's name was Jarvis. That's actually pretty funny- being the digital butler-like attendant character and all.

16. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    There were 5 robots in The Black Hole:
    The big red one was Maximillian.
    The Hero was V.I.N.Cent
    Sidekick was Old B.O.B.
    guard leader was STAR
    and then there were all the annonymous guards.

The original is a frankenstein mess of a story (as well as having Frankenstein elements) written by committee, but I still like it and find it very enjoyable. As for a remake... I shudder to think.

17. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    As soon as I saw that outfit I thought it looked incredible! Forget about the light cycles, battle suits, or identity discs...... I want Flynn's circuit lined trench coat!! :p

18. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    The bald guy? I think his name was Jarvis, based on the credits, the wiki page and the Art book. He's pretty shallow, nothing more to him, he was just trying to suck up to the boss by trying to help out more. If there had been anything more to him, when Sam charged onto the bridge of Clu's throneship would've been the moment. And I think that giant carrier at the end was called the Rectifier, fitting in with how most of the captured programs were sent to "rectify" I think the Sentinel put it. Great movie, but I am so looking forward to turning the subtitles on so I can catch everything that's said. Even after watching it twice (the second time in IMAX), I'm still not entirely sure what some characters said at certain moments.

There is a resistance, as Flynn mentioned and as we saw at the Club, but would've liked to have seen them more, but oh well, that might've caused the movie to drag out longer than it should've. As it is now, the movie moves along quickly and efficiently from plot point to plot point, even the quiet talking moments serve some purpose usually.

Still would've liked to at least see Tron wash up on a shore or something, but guess they're just leaving things open for if/when there's another movie to show what happened to Flynn and Tron (really hope there'll be another movie). Wonder what the movie's earned so far.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it seems it was Jarvis- as I noted in my edit, that's amusing given he's a digital attendent.

However, I'm convinced there could be more to the character. Upon my second viewing, his attempts to become included in Clu's Initiative grabbed my attention- it would sync with comments made by, IIRC, Flynn on rumors of the Initiative. He's the one whose "clumsy" making noises that might have alerted Flynn to their presence. And if that's the case, then one can read Jarvis's actions at the end (particularly his "all hail the users" line to Sam) has meaning something more.

It's not concrete, but there's enough there to make you wonder.

And, yeah, the carrier was called the Rectifier, you're right- the soundtrack even titles the track that. Slipped my mind.

I also fully expected an after-credits stinger scene with Tron washing up on shore too. (perhaps even with a throwback line of "I made it!" ::glances at how far away he is from the city:: "...this far." ;)).

What lines couldn't you make out? I might be able to clarify.

20. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, I didn't really see Jarvis as the leak for those rumors of Clu's Initiative, at least not intentionally, as despite being Clu's intelligence officer, he's not all that intelligent (at least I think that was his official role). With how much resources Clu poured into his Initiative, including building that giant Rectifier, there were bound to be some rumors going around, and Jarvis probably just heard the same rumors Flynn did.

Yeah, there was that "hail to the Users" line, but I saw that as just him trying to suck up to the guy who had already forced his way past several guards. When Clu shows up later, he instantly changes his tone to "death to the Users", not that Clu cares much after his failure.

And I could make out most of the lines, especially after watching it a second time, the problem was just that during some of the speeches like when Jarvis is announcing the light cycle battle, or during Clu's big speech to his army, they're shouting so much its hard to make out what they're saying. I get the general gist, but I always like to read along with subtitles anyway. Fortunately all the talking scenes were easy to follow, just that following dialogue in the middle of a battle is sometimes hard.

Hm, I wonder if Castor leaked any info as well. Yeah, he's allied with Clu, but nobody else knows that, and most of the resistance still trusts him enough that they're constantly bugging him to allow access to Zuse. But if he was that well-known, then its obvious in hindsight that he had made some deal with Clu to keep his club open, but he might still leak a few rumors to keep up Zuse's reputation. Mostly I presume its impossible to keep Initiative rumors squashed when it requires so many resources, not to mention more and more programs disappearing.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, I agree that Jarvis could just be sucking up to the badass- but there's enough room that it could be the other way.

22. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    By the way, does anyone know if they figured out the time discrepancy thing? Like in the movie itself I remember Flynn saying seconds outside could be hours inside, so... that's quite a lot. So 20 years in the outside world could be... centuries?

Its a movie, so probably best not to think about it, but I think that was an element of the original movie too, with how Flynn was trapped inside and then freed the system, and it had only been one night in the outside world or something, although there was that moment where Tron communicated with Alan, so sometimes the worlds meet. Unless when the power was cut they were all frozen in stasis, with Clu's takeover occurring in the days before the arcade's power was cut after Flynn had disappeared from the real world. Or maybe Flynn just aged slower inside, so it really had been longer than 20 years for him inside the Grid. Or... I'm probably just overthinking this. :p

23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The system was still running: the console says 20 years, 11 months, etc. and continues to count up when Sam finds it.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the basement system was running independently of the arcade.

I'm seen estimnates saying Flynn was in there for at least 1,200 minimum- though if I caught the one millicycles/seconds comment right, it could be significantly longer by several extra zeroes.

I do wish they had elaborated on that though- the teaser trailer seemed to focus on that concept ("Long time." "You have no idea."), so it was a little dissapointing that that didn't really end up being a factor in the film beyond that one brief exchange.

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    So, how far can an identity disc be thrown?

and

Any idea why Tron's reprogrammed name is Rinzler?