Amph END OF LINE: TRON, Uprising, Legacy & TRON 3

Discussion in 'Community' started by edgejedi88, Jan 25, 2006.

1. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I like Tron and I can't wait to see the new one.
  2. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    This looks awesome -- true to the original yet with just enough contemporary artistry to make it look cutting-edge. My only concern is that it looks alot Speed Racer -- and audiences hated Speed Racer (except for me!). Any word on a release date?
  3. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I can't believe my eyes. As blurry and as hard to see as that was, I am still in shock. I am mixed as to whether or not I actually want this to happen, but my god does that look amazing...

I pray this one doesn't fall apart so I can at least see the full this in theatres.
  4. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  5. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    WOW! I figured TRON 2 was just a pipe dream that had been abandon. Didn't know that it was secretly in production. It looks fantastic. I hope Disney puts up an official high quality version ASAP.
  6. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I suppose "THe Black Hole" remake or sequel should be expected some time next year...
  7. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    ^ ^ ^ That would be welcome, actually. The original Black Hole represents a considerable waste of celluloid, IMO, on an otherwise capital idea. A 2010 remake/sequel/reboot -- directed by, say, Soderbergh -- would be fantastic.
  8. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    After his foray with Solaris, I'd rather Soderbergh not direct sci-fi.
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I don't think they hated it- they just weren't convinced enough to see it in theaters. Almost everyone I know who actually saw the flick loved it.
  10. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    And I think Tron 2 is going to be a niche film where the only people really interested are fans of the franchise. Not to say they won't make new fans as well but the body of people going to see Tron 2 are fans of Tron.
  11. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I really like The Black Hole despite it's flaw and consider it a guilty pleasure but I would love to see it remade as well.
  12. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Maybe I was too harsh on Black Hole. It used to be a guilty pleasure for me, too, but I haven't seen it since the 90s. It certainly isn't good, but it's not wonderfully bad, either; it's just kind of middle-of-the-road boring. But the concept, the production design and to a certain extent the characters are somewhat engaging. A re-make/sequel/whatever would be fun.

As to Tron 2, I think it has the potential to transcend the "sci-fi niche" label, if the trailer gets out at the right time and a buzz is created based on what proves to be a real quality product. Alot of sci-fi/fantasy/superhero movies could be considered "niche" until they jump the bridge into mainstream success. No one could have predicted how well, for example, Iron Man or Cloverfield could have done based on their subject matter, but both were extremely successful films, commercially and to a certain extent critically. Tron 2 could very likely follow suit, if it's anywhere near as exciting and well-made as that trailer makes it look.
  13. The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ah finally... Hard to tell from the crappy camera work, but from what I could see, it looks amazing. Now how are they going to screw it up? :p

-T_S_R
  14. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think tehre is one significant advantage TR2N has over Tron...it's no longer ahead of it's time. In a post-Matrix, video-games-making-more-money-than-movies, web-savvy world, the audience understands the concepts behind the movie. The original was never a smash hit because of that.
  15. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The question is though whether that will be a good thing or bad thing for the movie.
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Where's the fun in knowing everything? ;)
  17. Spiderfan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well I would like the movie to succeed, but audience apathy could easily kill this movie since too many people might find it to be another dull tech movie. The first one was awesome because it was dealing with stuff that we had never seen in a movie before...more specifically life inside a computer/video game. By now though there have been enough variations on the concept that its difficult not to be apathetic, if you aren't a Tron nerd. :p
  18. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Apparently the film is set for a 2010 release. It seems some at Disney studios still don't think the film should be attempted, but John Lasseter's enthusiasm for the project has kept it going.

The script that's long been in development by the writer/director of the original TRON, Steven Lisberger, has apparently been jettisoned and Eddie Kitsis & Adam Horovitz (who apparently are both producers and writers on Lost, Felicity and other shows) have been brought in.

The footage we've seen was made in secret over a span of 6 months between the new director, Joseph Kosinski, and Digital Domain to sell Disney on the idea.
  19. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I loved The Black Hole when it came out--I was 8. Even though the pacing is slow, the payoff was worth it. The big problem with it was that it was a mongrel plot that kept being changed as it was written because Disney wasn't sure what it was doing--they tried to combine everything that was successful in other popular movies of the time with a little Disney majic thrown in. The result was that the movie changes flavor, and the characters have to stand around talking to tell you what they've changed to.
    In rough order, the movie is:
    Star Trek
    Haunted House in Space
    Captain Nemo in Space
    Island of Doctor Moreau in Space
    Frankenstein in Space
    Psycho in Space
    OK Corral in Space
    Towering Inferno/Disaster Movie in Space
    Trippy 70s Psycho-message/morality/spiritualism in Space.
    The script was constantly being overhauled while it was filmed. Sure, lots of scripts get rewritten during filming, but this was back to basic principles rewrite. Consequently, it didn't hold up well.

On the other hand, the soundtrack is still eerie, creepy, and exciting at the same time, and holds up much better than, say, StarTrek The Motion Picture, even before we became bored with it from TNG making the score banal.
  20. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    I like the new footage. I hope they release it in a nice, clean, Quicktime format with multiple resolutions.
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Ask and ye shall recieve...one year later ;)

So Comic-Con has brought us a clear version of the test footage, a new title (TRON: Legacy), alongside awesome stories of them recreating Flynn's Arcade (complete with playable versions of Space Paranoids and other titles) and showing off a lifesize lightcycle with a taste of what appears to be a clip of Daft Punk's score for the film (and, btw, is there anyone better suited to TRON than DP?).

There's also been some great concept art out as well. These AICN articles have some videos and pics:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41791

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41803
  22. Merlin_Ambrosius69 Force Ghost

star 5
    It looks pretty amazingly coolerrific. It's the one instance where "This looks like it was made on a computer!" is actually a compliment.
  23. Hernalt Force Ghost

star 2
    Old TRON loyalist. When I see CGI of such excellence, I immediately fear for the more important elements - in the order story, script, directing, and actor performance. A CGI fest doesn't make a complete package, and what I've read about the story makes it merely serviceable. As with many other reboots and re-imaginings (BSG03, Trek09), I'll go in with the policy of expecting betrayal. If I am pleasantly surprised that it wasn't that bad, then everything above betrayal will be gravy.
  24. Salty Force Ghost

star 5
    Just saw the trailer for this. I can't wait to see how Flynn manages to get back into the computer world. This has epic success all over it provided it's done properly.

BTW...I'd love to see a Black Hole remake as well.
  25. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    You know, when I said I wanted the teaser in Quicktime format, I never imagined how much more impressive it would look. It really is incredible looking. And the lightcycle is to Tron what the lightsaber is to Star Wars - everyone wants one, no matter whether they think the film is good or not.