main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph END OF LINE: TRON, Uprising, Legacy & Ares

Discussion in 'Community' started by edgejedi88, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *is surprised the teaser wasn't attatched to Sorcerer's Apprentice.

2. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I think its a bigger spectacle to open a trailer at SDCC.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    3 samples of Daft Punks music online. You can cycle through them with the controls in the upper right corner, and disable the lightcycle SFX in the lower left.

Most are in the trailer, but it's nice to get a clear sample.

4. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I have to say I'm really digging that music in the trailer :)

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/tlpoyoff.jpg]

Poster :cool:

A good callback to the original:

[image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/tron1982poster.jpg]

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Excellent. I do love th ID Disk for Legacy. Chakram > solid disk.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  9. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    You mean "Frisbee"?

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    This is currently hanging in my office. One of my assistant managers doesn't like and but I do since it's a throw back.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    TRON: Uprising animated series greenlit

?Tron Uprising? is the name of the new animated series from director Charlie Bean (?Samurai Jack?) headed to Disney XD in 2012.

Its voice cast, according to Variety, includes Bruce Boxleitner, Elijah Wood, Emmanuelle Chriqui, Mandy Moore, Paul Reubens, Nate Corddry and Lance Henriksen.

Wood, who will star in FX?s doggie sitcom ?Wilfred? as well, plays in ?Uprising? a rebel leader inside The Grid.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    There's going to be a cartoon? Well there's a knell of doom!
    Only time I've seen something go from live movie to cartoon and work is the Clone Wars (Maya, not the flash crap).

Examples: Back to the Future, Highlander, TeenWolf, Ewoks, Droids, and StarGate.

In many of these cases, not only did the cartoon suck, but it came out just as the TV show started to suck, or caused the TV show/movies to start to suck.

Clone Wars is, of course, the exact opposite: they took material that absolutely sucked and created some interesting characters, compelling stories, and high-quality entertainment. But then, when Lucas owned Pixar, he couldn't think of anything to do with an animation studio. Really. That's why he sold it. OK, technology has improved greatly in the last 20-odd years, but still...

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Psssh the Back to the Future cartoon was sweet.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's a notable difference here, as far as I can tell- most of your examples, Koohii, were either after-the-fact spinoffs/cash-ins (BTTF, Ewoks) or non-canonical concepts unconnected to the actual property's creative powers (Stargate).

With TRON here, back when this series was hinted at earlier in the year, it's apparently intended to bridge Legacy to the next film in the new trilogy (likely why Bruce is involved as well).

Whether that will translate into the product's quality or not remains to be seen, but I think it's safe to say the nature of the series is quite distinct from your other examples.

Plus, it'll be great to have some TRON stories that (hopefully) actually focus more on TRON than CLU.

15. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Wow! I'm a little surprised at how much they're pushing this franchise now.

As for the new cartoon, could be cool I guess. I wonder what sort of style the animation would be in. I'd also like to know if they plan it to be an ongoing series of if they have a set number of episodes in mind. [face_thinking]

16. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    I would agree with The2ndQuest as to the success of the Tron cartoon. It is still in the hands of the original studio, with the intend of continuing on the story created in the new movie. Also, it has more of a purpose than simply continuing the franchise and making for money for the studio or taking the franchise in a different direction, which the Stargate cartoon did, the Starship Troopers cartoon did (though I think the cartoon was a little better at keeping to the book than the movie).

Clone Wars would be the most comparable show to the Tron cartoon, if it indeed is designed as a bridge in the series.

Also, I watched the original trailer of "Tron" and there are a lot more similarities than I thought. It is nice to see them trying to maintain a visual style while updating it for 2010.

17. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    Quick update. They just posted the last trailer for Tron prior to its release: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4RiUy23e9s&feature=player_embedded

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    You may be right...

On the other hand, we have the Flash-looking Clone wars cartoons "linking" Ep 2 with Ep3, and Highlander, which did have an appearance by Connor MacLeod (only instead of the soft french accent, he had melodramatic hero voice). But, if you wasted your time reading my episodic reviews of this show, you'd know it was utterly without merrit.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I really liked the CW micro-series- it accomplished an impressive amount, given it's limited format- arguably more than the current 3D series has with a less restrictive one.

Wow! Looks like CLU is lookin' to break out of The Grid...

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Now there I will completely disagree with you. The new cartoon has accomplished way more. They made Yoda more Yoda-like than the CGI abomination in the prequels (which looks more like a pissed-off mogwai than anything else), and they managed to make Jar-Jar not annoying--something that borders on Nobel-prize winning as far as accomplishments go. But then again, like ESB, the main reason for the improvement is the lack of involvement from GL.

21. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Another nice trailer, although the Derezzed music is still better, but its only another month or so till the movie itself. I'm still debating about whether to avoid spoilers or not before I watch it. Although after that trailer... well, we know people can go inside through that laser, but... has it been said about the other way around? Heh, Kingdom Hearts played around with that idea a tiny little bit, but that was quite a different world with a different set of rules.

I still like the micro-series better than the current CG one. The definite focus sure helped a lot, with telling of the war, especially with how the second season led up to Episode III (aside from it clashing with LoE). The current one... well, it still has some decent stories, but the episodic structure lowers the overall quality, at least in my opinion, since none of it really feels like it matters (one week the Republic is winning, the next its not, etc., and that's not even taking into account all the continuity headaches, or the timeline, as 2ndQuest is following quite closely in other forums).

By the way, anyone know whatever happened to Tron DVDs? I never got around to buying the movie, sadly enough (yeah, I know, stupid), and it seems to have gone out of print. I figure they would've released a new set or something to coincide with the new movie, but haven't seen any sign of that yet. Unless they're going to wait for next year when Legacy hits Blu-ray and then release the original too.

Oh yeah, that Tron version of the Disney logo looks awesome (not sure if that's been shown before, sorry, haven't been following everything that closely, but it just still looks great).

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They released a 2 disc anniversary DVD earlier this decade, and earlier this year I saw them pushing TRON at Best Buy as a 9.99 special (though I couldn't tell if it was still a 2 disc set with a slimmed down casing or just a 1-disc).

There's been word of a pending blu-ray release, though (I believe last fall or earlier this year they debuted a new HD version on TV somewhere, presumably leading to a BRD release).

Oh, I agree they've accomplished a lot (relatively speaking) with Jar Jar. And Yoda's been mostly well done.

Though, the CG series actually has a lot more involvement from GL than the 2D one ;)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Small update I missed a few weeks ago, but there's a new TRON: Evolution trailer out, narrated by TRON himself, Boxleitner.

That one lightcycle crash was certainly an "oof!" moment.

24. Daramin_of_The_Way

Oct 30, 2004
    Definitely looks like a fun game, and keeping to the style of the movie.

Of course, had a little bit of a "Prince of Persia" feel with the wall running ;)

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000