main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    And this is what happens when they don't get their face-sized cookies:

2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Got a lot of foresight and good timing to keep on filming all this stuff.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    James Cordon deserved that for making Santa mad.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Luckily someone had the foresight not to arm these chaps.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    That reminds me (by an unusual train of thought) racist idiot Nigel Farage and spindly lizard theorist Russel Brand are both on the Question Time panel tonight. I don't have a TV, so I hope it ends up on BBC iplayer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04v85qt

Boba Nekhbet and Ender Sai like this.
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Will Russell Brand be forced to get to the point in a concise manner? Do hope so.

7. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I've never known the chap to have a point but I'm rather looking forward to it. Like a real life muppet show.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You probably stop watching before the 16 minute mark?

9. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I'll try to stomach the whole show. Both idiots have a huge following. I may as well know what kind of **** they're being fed.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Impossible.

edit: Outisde looking in, Farage is a crank. Watched a video of him last year where he told the head of the EU parliament off on the floor. Pretty disrespectful guy. Seems on a quest to lead the UK into decrepit isolation.

11. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    He's a loon. An absolute nutjob. Unfortunately, his justified concerns about EU farming subsidies and the process of passing law with no democratic process are lumped in with all the barking mad jingoism, making them look ridiculous by association.

Damn his goggly eyes.

12. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  13. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yep. Even a cookoo clock is right twice a day.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just heard Brand actually interviewed on Democracy Now. Amy Goodman and Russell Brand in the same room. That is something I never expected to encounter in my life.

15. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I love the language used for all these flagrant breaches of the Geneva convention. 'Enhanced interrogation techniques', 'extraordinary rendition' and the like.

I mean, ok, the chaps herded into these prisons or flown around the world to other such facilities will face months or years of torture. Granted, most of them are just unlucky buggers who were in the wrong place at the wrong time and had no involvement in terrorism. Some of them, like the chap in this article who died of hypothermia after being chained to a cold floor, will indeed face death while held without charge, trial or evidence beyond 'you were in this general vicinity'.

But guys, c'mon, if everyone around them sounds like they're in an episode of the West Wing with their 'extraordinaries, and 'enhanceds' they've got to feel pretty special, right?

16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    They'll probably rebrand soon, in true American style. Maybe change it up to something that truly showcases our country's unique and undisputed superiority in everything, ever.

Let's go with "exceptional interrogation techniques" and "exceptional rendition". [face_flag]

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The arguments made usually in favor of these techniques is these are non-state actors. The last decade has seen an increase non state actors and thats proven to be a challenge to the old paradigm of treaty by state to state.
    But we will only see an increase of this moving forward.

18. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    That's a specious argument, though. Depending on the treaty we're talking about, the non-state actors don't need to be signatories in order for them to fall under the protections of the treaty.

Using the topical example of torture, the United Nations Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment applies to the signing party. There is no exception to say that it's okay to torture those who have not signed the treaty. That's simply not the way the treaty works.

19. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

It's not specious if it's actually happening. It's a real problem states are coping with in how to classify people who fall between. As an example, there were people in Iraq who were not combatant or civilian. They were in between and the law was vague. Ive talked to service people who served in Iraq, one just two days ago, and it is a real issue.

The treaties usually work and are upheld as fundamental parts of international law. But, it also seems apparent, at least in the case of the U.S., a state will revert back to self-preservation and survival mode for some time. That's why we had all these "enhanced interrogations" post 9/11.

So while I agree torture shouldn't happen and shouldn't occur, if a nation perceives an existential threat, it will take actions sometimes running afoul of international regimes. That's what we witnessed post 9/11.

I applaud the president for publicly ordering a stop to these techniques. But, we are also dealing with an agency under accusations of lying to their overseers in the senate.

20. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Non-state actors? Makes them sound like travelling troubadours. **** those guys, they deserve to be tortured.

[​IMG]

****ing troubadours.

ShaneP likes this.
  21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    [face_rofl]

That was good.

22. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No, getting DA: Inquisition finally is the reason for the season.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually it's eggnog with dark rum.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    This belongs in here, too.

FatBurt likes this.