main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Fairly sure that the U.S. has a reservation to that treaty saying that the protections in the US constitution are considered equivalent so the US has no new obligations under that treaty. It's standard US practice. I forget if the convention disallows reservations, but it it does then the US would've attached an understanding instead.

So consequently the infamous torture memorandum would've given cover to those actions and the U.S. wouldn't have considered itself in violation.

That's the thing -- when it comes to torture, the U.S. says it's totally in compliance with Int'l obligations. And since we're not a party to Geneva AP 2, those more stringent conditions don't really apply. ShaneP is on the ball when he says the lack of clarity regarding non-state actors is a problem.

But at the end of the day, I think that realpolitik is going to decide the issue more than the framework. It doesn't suit US objectives to torture, it creates more problems than it solves, and the domestic and foreign public is against it. But it still behooves us to try and help create a framework because our moral standing is hugely tarnished by this, and that's an important calculus in soft power too.

It is also barbaric and cruel and hopefully that has some pull with policy makers too, but even if it doesn't the cold reasoning should still counsel against that kind of stupid brutality.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Rogue_Follower and ShaneP like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    My flag is flying at full mast.

The flag of my heart. [face_flag] #Eagle

Now, Jello et al, unless you're going to make fun of America the way Mr Follower has, pack up your bags and sod off my thread. Lest I make Mr Jeffries swear at you.

Though Diggy a few of the Muricans might object to the bit where he uses the c-word, as apparently since in America this word is never used how Brits and Australians use it it's misogynistic. We would argue that it's contextual culturally and they would get confused and very progressive (so people know they care, of course) and say, "but in Murica, it's misogynistic" and we'll patiently say yes, we know this, but it's not used that way here and they'll contort their faces further into confusion and say "but in 'Murica!" and we'll just call them the c-word because of the apparent distress it causes.

And enjoy it.

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I use the c-word for friends and enemies equally. I'm an equal opportunity mysogynist.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll sod where I damn well please.

...wait.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

It's a beautiful thing.

Mate of mine from near Swindon (Cricklade to be precise; lives in Sydney, I tell people he's from Slough) messaged me on Monday to say "Heard what happened in Martin Place today sport. [C-words]."

It was the most heartfelt condolence from a lazy fat bastard on a beach somewhere I've received.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  6. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I only use it for friends. I hold a very strong view that vaginas are very good things, and it doesn't make sense to me to call someone who is annoying me a good thing.

So I call them a "dry, yeasty [C-word]".

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty much the only time I've regretted opening this thread.

Arawn_Fenn and dp4m like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Get out.

ShaneP, dp4m, Diggy and 1 other person like this.
  9. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    A friend of mine uses the c-word matter-of-factly to mean 'mate', 'bloke', 'unfortunate situation' and as an alternative for any other noun.

As in 'hello ye [c word]! How's Dave? I ****ing love that [c word]. What a [c word] that his fight got stopped. He'd have 'ad that [c word] if the ref 'adn't stopped the [c word]'

In other news, I find Dudley Moore's contribution here to be sub par but Peter Cook rescues the final minute.

***language warning***
    *** using tapatalk which embeds youtube links even when you tell it not to warning***

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Love it.

"I was at Spurs, and dis bloke came up to be and said 'ello"
    "Provocative ****er."

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

I don't know for sure he's american, but I like to think so.

ShaneP and slightly_unhinged like this.
  12. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    The audacity of the ****.

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Don't you ****ing "yaargh!" me! And I really kicked his ear in, you know. I bunged him right in the ear with me left boot.

And do you know he still had the audacity to come out with "hhhhuuueeergh I'm dyyyyying".

Well. What would I say to that? I just walked away. I left the situation. I wasn't going to be put upon in that way.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Quite right that we don't know for sure - it's hard to tell from this angle how many Allied troops he's fired upon.

15. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Using tapatalk on my phone so difficult to tell but that looks like an m4 carbine, which makes it likely he's a yank.

Also, he appears to be aiming it at a wall directly in front of him, which makes it almost certain.

16. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i never liked the c-word. always hated the norwegian version of it too. AND I DON'T CARE IF YOU'VE MOVED ON FROM THIS TOPIC

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Was the wall perhaps erected by the Royal Engineers?

Yes, but, if someone's being a c-word, what else do you call them?

And how do you show a mate that you value their friendship if you can't call them a silly c-word?

:confused:

18. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    WELL WE'RE BACK ON TOPIC NOW!

***although this is from a genteel afternoon show on british television it contains a c-word so, y'know, don't click play if you believe in baby jesus and his army of flapping wizards. Flaps lol***

Edit: oh bugger... the very word c wordflaps appears in the youtube preview. On tapatalk so can't link. Copy, paste, swap * for t.

ht*p://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-IYk7YVW80

19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

[​IMG]

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    yes as a general rule, OZK, if you could **** right off from this thread it would be much appreciated.

slightly_unhinged - the worst job I ever 'ad was with Jayne Mansfield. She's a fantastic bird, but I 'ad the terrible job of retrieving lobsters... from her bum.

21. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Judging by the angle of his weapon, he's about to kill the block wall….or ricochet back and kill himself.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  22. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Gotta love Derek and Clive!

halibut and Ender Sai like this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Let's face it; a lot of lobsters fancied her bum.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    slightly_unhinged:..... there was the same ****ing bogie on the bedspread. I thought, "**** me! I only collected this one last night and th-, there's the **** lying on the ****ing bedspread again", you see. And I d-, I-, I-, you know, I thought I was seeing things. I had a feeling of deja vu.
    Ender:Well, it must have been tricky for you 'cause I remember hearing stories about Winston's bogies which were unbelievable because, erm, you know, he could produce a bogie as big as, er, er, w-, the Titanic. Ohh, it was dreadful .....
    slightly_unhinged:You know-, you know why?
    Ender:He threatened Hitler with it, didn't he?
    slightly_unhinged:You know what happened?
    Ender:He threatened Hitler with it.
    slightly_unhinged:Well, the bogie that was as big as the Titanic.....
    Ender:Yeah.
    slightly_unhinged:..... was in fact the Titanic! Did you know that?
    Ender:Well, this is-, this is what I heard!

25. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    She encouraged them though. It was a 50/50 arrangement.

Ender Sai likes this.