main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Don't most modern cars with an automatic transmission also have a manual mode with little paddles on the steering wheel? I've got a Kia Optima Sli (work car) and even that has manual mode with lithe gear change paddles.

2. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Most do have some sort of sequential manual involved somewhere. My Captiva has it as a side movement from the "Drive" position so I can just push the selector across to the right and then shift up and down from there. I just need to remember sometimes that I've gone to manual and come back out of it because I use it so infrequently now.

3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I have a manual because if my car was automatic I would probably not pay attention to what I was doing (i.e. driving).

4. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014

Point Given , Diggy and dp4m like this.
  5. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
  6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Ignore Robert Neckbeard, EF. Just trying to elicit a reaction; you're better than that.

Yes - most modern automatic transmissions have a sequential shifter option included. However, these are still single clutch shifters so it's not any more efficient than an automatic. The benefit is if you're dealing with geography or climate that needs you to maintain a certain level of torque you can do this.

I've driven the A-Klasse and CLA-Klasse Mercs as well as my GTI and all three will shift gears in manual mode if you forget to, which is nice and typical of the kind of German efficiency that makes Poles nervous.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    There are words which Satan introduced to the vocabulary in this picture, but I feel the point is clear. Your football is a silly game, and your padding ridiculous.

Diggy likes this.
  8. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Tell that to Robert Allenby:

Kidnapped, Beaten Golfer's Story Is Getting Murkier. "Allenby said he had a few glasses of red wine with dinner at the wine bar in Honolulu."

[​IMG]

Wine bars must be getting tougher these days. Although even though I thought Aussies could hold their alcohol er... merlot better, what's worse is that he dissed the Aussie tradition of fightin' around the world. Russell Crowe is hanging his head.

9. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Not only is it ridiculous, it leads to more injuries, not fewer.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You also actually have a good rugby team. It's not tier one but it exceeds all expectations of it.

11. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

While there's definitely a litany of issues with American football, why must the physicality differences between it & rugby be a **** measuring contest?

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Because it's hard to highlight the inferiority of the rules and play system and breaks for commercials in a quick visual reference?

I don't know Tunick, there's probably no reason.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There are better ways of doing so without the "Harden up, we're the tougher sport!" nonsense.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

But we are.

No padding Tunes.

I'm sorry it upsets you but you have lots of free time, so you can watch real sports too!

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I used to watch Australian rules football a bunch. Liked it better than gridiron at one point.

Like rugby players, those guys are some tough hombres.

edit: (h)ombres.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Driving in the city (aka most people and most driving) is irritating with a manual (that said, I own one because it was cheap to get an ex-demo manual as nobody wanted it lol). Driving along a highway, also pointless. So I really think you're reaching here.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How?

If you're driving a winding background, manual is the way to go. I feel that's not controversial/

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I used to live up a canyon and found my manual handled the tight twists and turns better.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Definitely handles better going up mountains.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's not going to handle differently per se; what it will stop the automatic gearbox from doing is shifting to a higher gear if the RPM stay persistently high. You may want 4000rpm in 2nd up a hill. Most autos have a Low and 2nd gear setting (some will have a 3rd to stop it shifting above that) but rarely do people use it.

21. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    They are also good for dead batteries (popping the clutch) and if your breaks go (slamming into 1st). Um, not that I would know.

22. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Certainly, but calling Americans dumb for driving automatics, when the situation where manuals are better is not relevant for most people, is reaching.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The only time I have ever found a 5-speed to be a pain is in a traffic jam.

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Agreed.

Who said that then? We shall together call it reaching.

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    'see almost every Briton you will meet, and most Europeans, drive manual. Australia's half-way between MURICA and England in this regard. Leaning more towards automatics but still a significant manual population.'

In a thread about ragging on MURICA. Don't think it's a stretch to imply that it's inferior to drive automatic.