main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My father bought Double Fantasy on LP, transferred all of the John songs to cassette (it was the 80s, shut up), eliminating the Yoko songs, and to my knowledge he never listened to the LP again. I once asked why he did that and got treated to a very poetic description of Yoko's singing; I can't remember what it was but I think it involved screeching bats.

My Yoko dislike was learned.

yankee8255 and ShaneP like this.
  2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Sorry I wasn't quite sure if you meant the last good movies or not. They've both spent the last decade or two rolling back their legend.

Hah! anakinfansince1983 I read your last line as "Yoko dislike was earned". Listening to her stuff for any period of time should earn you something….tolerance for gibberish maybe?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    AMERICAS|American Flags Popping Up in Cuba on Everything but a Pole

American Flags Popping Up in Cuba on Everything but a Pole

By RANDAL C. ARCHIBOLDAPRIL 13, 2015
    Photo
    [​IMG]

The thaw in relations between the United States and Cuba has sprinkled images of Old Glory in the streets of the capital. CreditThe New York Times

HAVANA — The diplomatic thaw between the United States and Cuba has been accompanied by an unexpected outburst of flag-waving here — of the American flag.
    The Stars and Stripes has been spotted on apartment buildings and bicycle taxis. It splays across T-shirts and bandannas. On tight spandex pants, its pattern swirls around many a leg. Even a few car air fresheners bear its likeness (with a vanilla scent).
    “I am seeing things in Cuba I thought I would never see,” said one middle-age man, ogling a young woman’s nearly painted-on flag pants.
    The woman, who declined to give her name, wary of talking about the symbol of a nation still at odds with Cuba on many issues, said the pants were a gift from a friend who knew how much she enjoyed American pop culture.
    “It’s just fashion,” she said, rushing to make something clear in a country where any overt opposition to the government can bring scrutiny, or worse: “It isn’t a statement.”
    Continue reading the main story

Of course, there is one place the flag is not yet popping up: in front of the American diplomatic outpost here, known as the “interests section,” which used to be the embassy until relations between the countries broke in 1961.
    Continue reading the main story

By The New York Times
    After announcing in December that they intended to move toward restoring diplomatic ties, Washington and Havana are still talking about when and how to reopen embassies.
    At a regional summit meeting last weekend in Panama, President Obama and President Raúl Castro held the first sit-down meetingbetween leaders of the countries since the Cuban Revolution. (The meeting happened without the presence of their flags.)
    Diplomats on both sides have said that when the time comes, they expect to fly their flags at their diplomatic missions. Workers in recent weeks have refurbished the American flagpole outside the interests section, on the main seafront boulevard, in anticipation of Old Glory’s waving there for the first time in more than five decades.

Yet no matter what the diplomats are doing, the fact that so many people are wearing their feelings literally on their sleeves shows how Cubans never lost their love for Americana, despite a contentious trade embargo and years of political hostility.
    In recent years, Cuba has gone through other waves of foreign flag-mania; the Union Jack seemed to gain favor in fashion around the 2012 London Olympics, and items decorated with the American flag had sprouted now and then over the years. But trend watchers here contend that American flag clothing has been proliferating, to the consternation of some in the government.
    An article last year on Cubadebate.com, a government news site, spoke disapprovingly of the displays as a form of cultural imperialism. “It pains me to see a Cuban wrapped in an American flag,” a commenter on the article said. “My mind doesn’t accept it.”
    Though considered by many a symbol of freedom, the flag-themed attire may also carry a whiff of contraband. Customers say that a lot of the garments are imported on the sly from Florida or Panama and that such clothing is not allowed to be resold, even under Cuba’s accelerated push toward entrepreneurship.
    So it seems a lot of people like these have flag-loving friends and relatives overseas: a car mechanic with an “I Love USA” T-shirt; a 1950s car with an American flag sticker on a lonely highway outside Havana; a young boy with flag-themed shorts walking on a quiet side street hours outside Havana; a teenage girl at a produce market — adorned neck to toe with Old Glory.
    “You like it?” asked Eugenia Rodriguez, 24, wearing an American-flag-themed T-shirt on a stroll here but vague on where it had come from. “You can get them around here.”
    Some dissidents have said they believe the flag attire is a cry for change, but ordinary Cubans have long remained friendly to American visitors and closely follow American pop culture and sports. Many are quick to discuss their shared love of baseball and to pass around the latest American television shows and movies on USB and hard drives.
    “Many Cubans are excited about the potential economic and social benefits that renewed U.S.-Cuban relations could bring,” said Marc D. Perry, an anthropologist at Tulane University who studies Cuban social trends. “This is Cuba’s current popular zeitgeist, if you will, and these cultural expressions reflect this.”
    The burst of flag sightings, a fleeting fashion statement or not, would probably have been less extensive while Fidel Castro, 88, was in charge. From the 1950s revolution to a recent letter deploring American sanctions on several Venezuelan officials, he has had a far more antagonistic relationship with the United States, and the only kind of flag-waving the United States inspired was masses of Cuban flags brandished at protest marches against “the empire.”
    But those demonstrations have faded since Raúl took over when Fidel fell ill in 2006, and a stand of flagpoles that Cuba put up years ago next to the interests section to block American government propaganda on the building is now only occasionally emblazoned with Cuban flags.
    As for the clothing, its origins are murky, like many things that materialize and disappear here with little explanation.
    A number of people wearing flag apparel said it had become more widespread in the past year. The choosy head to private “shops” hidden in houses and apartments, where many of the latest fashions — or knockoffs — are readily obtainable.
    Prices vary widely, with some flag items costing more than $15, which is steep in a country where the average monthly state salary is $20. Many people receive financial support from relatives abroad, and the sprouting entrepreneurship has given others a source of disposable income.
    The popularity of American flags appears to be, at least partly, a nod toward what many Cubans see as a welcome warming of relations and even a mutual embrace.
    “It is the way our countries are now,” said Elisabet, a shopkeeper wearing American-flag-themed pants in Trinidad, which like many cities and towns on the tourist circuit has had a significant increase in visitors from the United States under relaxed travel restrictions. “Friendly.”

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

No. :p

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You two. No hope for.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Have you actually seen those two films I referenced?

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Meh, Snowden. Self-aggrandising tw*t.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    ...which would be ragging on Murika, no? Try and stay focused, kiddo.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This ongoing Diggy/Ender pissing contest is amazing.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yes but I'm not going to let that little **** get any suggestion of legitimacy. Man has to have principles, Diggy. Well. A cultured man; scousers are exempt.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Your assumption I'm a scouser is akin to me assuming you're an aborigine. They're both stupid assumptions, which makes you derp. Derp derp derp.

Derp!

14. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Guys, this is clearly someone testing the acoustics at a venue for reverb. It's not a performance. If you want to joke at least bring some humour, yeah?

15. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's totally her style, though. His post was valid. Like I said, she really is an acquired taste. People who have an issue with her performances have a valid reason to feel that way. I just don't get all the hate for her, personally. She catches a lot of heat for 'breaking up The Beatles," but she probably had very little to do with it. Lennon was a junkie, and the band was beginning to self destruct before she even entered the picture.

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't hate her personally or give a crap about any involvement in the Beatles breaking up. And I don't know enough about her personally to have an opinion on her attitude. But it's hardly a new phenomenon for people to hate famous singers who are terrible. I mean, how is hating Yoko's "singing" that different from hating Taylor Swift's? People tend to resent those who are millionaires while simultaneously sucking at the thing that made them millions.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Taydolf Switler has a measure of talent. I think that's the difference.

Darth-Horax likes this.
  19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    McCartney: "She was always saying: Beatles do this, Beatles do that... She even stole our definite article!"

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    When it comes to talking about choices of wives, McCartney doesn't have a leg to stand on

darthdrago and Ender Sai like this.
  21. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001

Wasn't it his wife that didn't have a leg to stand on?

Ba DOOM BOOM!

22. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Well played Horace

Darth-Horax likes this.
  23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Unfortunately, to acquire that taste I think you need to punch out your eardrums with a metal spike.

Darth Punk likes this.
  24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I feel that way about a lot of artists, though. Like, if I had to choose between listening to David Hasselhoff or Yoko Ono, I'd have a really ****ing difficult time making that decision. Same with Katy Parry, Michael Bolton, Motley Crue, etc etc.

I'm not saying her sound is awesome, or anything... like I said, I just don't get all the hate.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yoko didn't become famous for screaming into a microphone. She was a successful (non-musical) artist in her own right before she met John.

Obviously "she broke up the Beatles" is thinly-veiled misogynist nonsense, but John's desire to include her in his performances was indeed annoying. She's not musically talented. It's the same with Paul and Linda; people just don't remember it as well because she died tragically and Wings was mediocre anyway.

tom and harpua like this.