main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I mean, we're now actually seriously considering moving Australia Day from January 26 because that was the date the First Fleet arrived here and hence, invaded indigenous land. We're not perfect, we just don't buy into any myths.

If I said to yeurgh that it's ridiculous they have a lion as the national animal symbol, and should stick to good English animals like the badger or stoat or fieldmouse, he'd not launch into an impassioned defence of iconography. Similarly if he said we had a flightless bird and bellicose macropod, I wouldn't feel compelled to beat him up.

We just don't think we're that special. And so we don't tend to act as if there's a magical destiny guiding us.

Sorry?

2. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Yup. Reminds me of a George Carlin gem: "Symbols are for the sym-bol-minded."

How many of my fellow Americans here would be relieved to drop the sanctimonious "shining city on the hill" "the one indispensable nation" malarkey and just aim to be a decently-run Western industrialized country? Just walk away from the vaunted empire project hatched up by bloviating derangos like Teddy Roosevelt and Henry Cabot Lodge and be part of a respectable world community, instead of its thuggish leader?

Wouldn't it be a relief without these burdens? You can bet a lot of folks worldwide would be grateful.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  4. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks Ghost!

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Does Norway even have Muslims?

6. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    SuperWatto I read this the thread and the politics thread a lot and I didn't see it, but thanks for pretending that I post previously discussed articles all the time, I guess.

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Sorry, just thought it was funny.
    You as Ghost.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

There's like 3 of them, yeah. Lovely people.

Jedi Ben and Darth Punk like this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Meaning what, exactly? Isn't this just America First, but without the Trumpist ignorance and stupidity?

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, he said "decently-run".

Rew and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Norway has a lot of people who are in favor of human rights, social justice and equality, and are against patriarchy.

In other words, enemies to America, according to President Bannon.

yeurgh and Darth Punk like this.
  12. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    GrandAdmiralJello: I'd prefer not to be compared to the American Firsters of the 30s and early 40s, but I would take pride in being associated with those who'd prefer that 54% of our country's discretionary income not go to our precious defense budget, or that one of our chief exports not be arms and weapons.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Just curious, who would you imagine filling the void left by a America who abandons its leadership role?

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't mean to compare to Lindburgh et. al., but rather Trump's nationalism as articulated in his rhetoric. Sans the unsavory elements of Trumpism, like I said.

Essentially the argument goes that the United States becomes a wealthy, prosperous but inward looking country that is concerned with, say, social democracy instead of defense spending. Something of that nature. But philosophically, it means the concerns of the United States are simply just -- the United States, yes?

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can get on board with THAT version of "America First," at least to an extent.

I am still in favor of humanitarian aid to other countries, including taking in refugees. But I am in favor of humanitarian aid to our impoverished citizens as well (and implementing programs to make sure that they have a safety net).

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The United States gained its "leadership" role through conquest and force. From the Spanish-American War to World War I to World War II to the Cold War, U.S. dominance was achieved not through it being a Beacon of Freedom, but because the U.S. had the factories to make guns and bombs and tanks, the money to throw at allies, and the bodies to throw at the Germans, Japanese, etc. The U.S. throughout the Cold War was not the Righteous Leader but a major anti-democratic, neo-colonialist destabilizing force in the world. Even after the Cold War the U.S.'s harsh treatment of post-Soviet Russia including economic sabotage and the eastward expansion of NATO has heavily contributed to one of the biggest geopolitical problems today.

The U.S. armed forces are sustained by a budget of over a trillion dollars a year (accounting for all military-related spending and not the just the DoD budget), operates in hundreds of overseas bases, is the single-biggest emitter of greenhouse gasses in the world, possesses thousands of nuclear warheads (some of which are still on high alert and pointed at Russia), maintains many times more aircraft carriers than any other country (10 vs. 2 at most), has the ability to rapidly deploy a force anywhere in the world... I'm struggling to see why drawing this down is a bad thing. Military disengagement does not mean political or economic disengagement. It's not isolationist to say we should kill and destroy less.

17. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Reduction in military spending is one thing. Abdication of world leadership is something completely different.

Who steps in if America disengages?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Usually, the answer is no one, with people thinking it will become a multipolar world again where great powers hold influence over their region and no one has dominance. That's what Putin is advocating for, and I believe the Chinese are too. And it's close to what Trump said he wanted in his inauguration address.
    (some idealists say a stronger UN... but that's a joke)

Bazinga'd likes this.
  19. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Trump Executive Order #24
    [​IMG]

yeurgh and Jedi Ben like this.
  20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

China stance is very different in private; on the global stage, Beijing would like to be a power among many - which respects the sovereignty of independent nation. But in private, especially since the rise of Trump, the Chinese do see an opportunity and great benefit in being a dominate superpower.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How is America a leader?

Rew and Bazinga'd like this.
  22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    In the sense that they do what they want, and we adapt to it, they are "leading" us.

23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Given the current state of the political system, I doubt any country wants to adapt to it.

In many ways, Ender is right. Since 1945, the US hasn't much lead but defied the international consensus. The United Nations only gained from US leadership when Washington needed it, majority of the times it was always a unilateral decisions. Especially during the Cold War. Latin America would argue American leadership has proved harmful and actually obstructed democratic movements and reforms.

But that's what happens when you're the dominant superpower - you can pretty much do what you like.

Rew likes this.
  24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    That's what I meant. We don't adapt by choice. We do what we have to.

25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

We arent any more, unless the principle of "might makes right" applies.