main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't think anyone in the US would be strongly for or against joining the Commonwealth, most people would probably be neutral.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    lol sure

A country with an irrational obsession with its own sovereignty and who wouldn't join the ICC because it didn't want its cadre of highly trained, intellectually backwards rapists and killers to be tried for rape and murder; and that still believes the myth of its revolutionary history, would join an organisation united under the British crown.

Cutting edge.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There would be some... but honestly, because the average American perceives the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand as the bulk of the British Commonwealth, and those countries speak English and are viewed as even "whiter" than the US, I don't see it being as charged of an issue. If the media focused on it as a commonwealth with Jamaica, Botswana, Belize, Kenya, Malaysia, Pakistan, Uganda, Rwanda, Nigeria, etc. then it would have very little support, sad to say. But if the focus is on joining the "British" Commonwealth, then not much of a problem.

There are still Americans who see it as inevitable that we eventually absorb Canada, Australia, and the UK.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    "Why do they hate us?" - Americans

yeurgh - what would be worse; being sat on by Bob Crowe (you can pick if it's when he's alive, or in his slightly rotting but not as much as you'd think given he's mostly artificial substances currently state), or being formally linked to the US?

yeurgh likes this.
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Except... the president.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He said he wants us to become closer with the UK, and the proposed free trade deal with them to be the beginning. But it's not like he'd make it part of his official platform.

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Given generally but not always Americans stand at the crossroads of foreign cultures and yell at them (in whatever passes for English in the US) to change to suit the American, I think you'd find a bit of resistance to including swine in our group. We tolerate Mugabe, but there are limits. Such as making up words, naming your children after surnames or verbs (hi, Mackenzie! Hi, Chase!), playing awful sports, building cars that make 70's Jags look cutting edge, and the war on adverbs.

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    You have to accept the Singapore Declaration, which the US will have a problem with. Plus, you have to recognise the British Monarch as the Head (believe the US Constitution does not recognise titles)

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The Edinburgh Declaration criteria; constitutional or administrative ties to at least one Commonwealth member.

DanielUK likes this.
  11. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016

If I had to spend the rest of my life supporting the weight of that blubbery leech - whether alive or slowly rotting - it might be a difficult decision. Otherwise, I'm basically patting my lap inviting the fat ******* to take a seat.

[​IMG]

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Being in the Commonwealth might (only might though) give the Americans a bit of an education in culture and class - And just think, they might start taking up Cricket and get involved with a "world series" that is actually a global sport?

There is a risk that they might lower the tone when Her Majesty hosts her Commonwealth meetings and banquets but it might be OK...

13. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    G-FETT when a hand touches ****, the hand gets *****y but the **** doesn't get handy.

Violent Violet Menace and G-FETT like this.
  14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Good Lord, keep them away from cricket. Jesus man, don't tempt fate...

yeurgh and G-FETT like this.
  15. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    The land of the Free and the home of the grandiose narcissists. I bet if Trump posted here, he'd have the strongest legs of anyone who's posted here ever and an imdb page.

You flag-worshippers are a funny bunch [face_laugh]

16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    So, apparently this is a thing. The Royal Commonwealth Society will offer the United States associate membership of the Commonwealth

G-FETT likes this.
  17. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
  18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Cecil Rhodes would be proud of that hat.

19. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016

Oh dear god, no. I hope it's some kind of practical joke.

20. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    The White House were send to be very "positive" about it, but no official talks have taken place.

Could you imagine how the media will react, if Trump is invited to a special Commonwealth ceremony for American membership and is publicly forced to go down on one knee, in front of the Queen?

21. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Is a sword involved in the ceremony? Perhaps it's a ploy to give Auntie Liz a crack at chopping his stupid, wotsit-coloured head off.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    It's the American liberals who are gonna be the most snarky about it, I suspect. Conservatives feel a pseudo-nostalgic bond to Britain due to the WASP connection. It's actually the liberals who drink the idealistic Kool-Aid and believe the mythology the most, I feel.

But what is an associate membership in this context anyway? Is it like a nicer way of saying observer status?

23. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    The Commonwealth is based on multicultural and multifaith principles.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    What's the relevance? This is being done, and is going to be perceived at home and abroad, as a way of reconnecting with the "motherland".

25. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    It is in the criteria for membership.