main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ender, your pathological need to rebuff imagined back patters might be more of a real problem. i mean it's cool, most of us are fully aware of how beige we are and also don't really care. but if you really want "argued for pages with ghost" to be your jc legacy then by all means...

Zapdos, Diggy , Rew and 4 others like this.
  2. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Americans had no excuse for being apprehensive about World War: The Sequel? In 1917 (a) Our young were sent into an empire phallic-waving slaughterhouse (b) On foreign soil (c) Lost 100,000 boys and countless more to mutilation and PTSD (d) And subsequently discovered that the basis for said venture stemmed from loathsome propaganda and bank cartels desperate to get their money back from Allied borrowers.

Hell, we shouldn't even be arguing over whose trauma was more justified. The first half of the 20th century was an apocalypse, and everyone who wasn't obscenely wealthy/powerful suffered.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

We've just had people defending the "greatest generation" as if it were noble and not just the people building the foundations of an economic empire. There's an annual holiday celebrating the myth of revolution. I know you're not a chest thumper but that seems to make you an outlier.

Like, there's no issue with the ways things actually happened. But the way in which they're reimagined has profound impacts that not everyone gets. That's what grinds my gears.

4. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I think what grinds your gears is that Mummy needed America to come save her from the nazis.

Diggy , dp4m, Darth Guy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    For the record, the US should have never joined WWI. And only should have joined WWII earlier because some government officials did know the Holocaust was going on.

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    If the Brits and French had entered in 1938 (or bothered to fight in '39), the whole thing would've been done sooner.

SuperWatto likes this.
  7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    If we would just give Jeb Bush a time machine the whole thing could be prevented!

8. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    247 pages and still going strong. The above exchange is fantastic

Ender Sai likes this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Yeah, while we can point to Neville Chamberlain's goof, it really shouldn't have gotten to that point. Hitler started the violations of the Treaty of Versailles long before then. Had Hitler been opposed early on, it's unlikely (although possible) that war may not have broken out, at least then.

Did we make mistakes by trying to be isolationist? Of course, but the truth is that no country can claim moral superiority.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    besides Australia

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

What?

Ghost you know America was never more anti-semitic than the period of WWII right?

Please. The Holocaust was not a concern for most Americans back then.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's true, hence FDR turning away the refugees.

That said, for whatever criticisms of our isolationism then, we have the exact opposite problem now.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm talking about what should have happened. No WWI. And earlier involvement in WWII only because of the humanitarian atrocities.

14. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    anakinfan1983: Absolutely. I believe it was Kurt Vonnegut who averred that World War II was the worst thing to happen to America, precisely because it was a just war, thereby sanctifying conflict forever after.

After 1945, every two-bit thug would be likened to Hitler, every new development to Nazism, any measured response to base appeasement. And now here we are, a national security state doomed to never-ending war.

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Except you didn't give two ****s about the human atrocities then. Like they weren't even "that bad" against your moral framework.

Dear lord man it's like you haven't met the world we live in.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why say "you"? I'm not the immortal personification of the US. I'm saying what should have happened. Since you always repeat Americans were late to WWI and WWII. We never should have gone into WWI.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Sometimes I forget you're not very sharp.

You = royal you.

And when was the last time America interceded to prevent atrocities? Pls.

This is the downside of a quality Trump University degree.

18. a star war

May 4, 2016
    The last time was only a few weeks ago when we dropped a MOAB on ISIS. You're welcome.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    *whoosh*

You're the one with trouble comprehending. Why do you keep bringing up the past, when I'm taking about the ideal?

Libya

20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Based on what we know now, which was irrelevant then, or what we knew then, which was that Germany had declared unrestricted submarine warfare against all vessels, military and domestic? Germany was also trying to use Mexico as a way to keep us distracted,out of the war, and potentially fighting a neighbor(Zimmerman telegram), so even with our initial policy to keep out, we were right to join the war effort, however late.

Ender Sai likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Germany initiated unrestricted submarine warfare in part because the neutral powers, of which the largest by far was the U.S., were favoring the Allies in trade and lending. That trade included arms and the lending was primarily meant for buying arms. The Royal Navy was blockading Germany-- achieving a more devastating effect that unrestricted submarine warfare ever did. The blockade was causing millions of Germans to go hungry and hundreds of thousands to die of starvation by the end of the war, a fact that conveniently is downplayed, if mentioned at all, in mainstream U.S. histories.

While USW and the Zimmerman note served to inflame U.S. passions, make no mistake that the U.S. joined the war because the Allies could have lost and their billions of dollars in debt to the American financial sector would have gone up in smoke.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Because the ideal isn't reality, and never has been.

[face_laugh]

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Ghost like most I never mistook you for funny. I was wrong.

23. a star war

May 4, 2016
    We haven't had to intervene really since we have a global presence and there haven't really been any atrocities. It's called a deterrent.

Ender Sai likes this.
  24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ghost this is how you troll the sentiments properly.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i love this thread.