main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Name one atrocity that has taken place under the watchful eye of America's military around the globe.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

The prequels?

3. a star war

May 4, 2016
    That was an American initiative, and therefore cannot be classified as an atrocity.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I realised aftewards I could have said "Benghazi". :(

5. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Come on, we all know Libya is a ****hole but calling their capitol an atrocity is a bit much.

Ender Sai likes this.
  6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok um. The 2016 Rio olympics?

7. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Okay but USA had 50 more medals than anyone else so how do you explain that?

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But that is what I was talking about here. The "should." The goal. The vision. That we should not have gone into WWI, and should have done more and earlier to stop the Holocaust. I don't know why this point isn't sinking in.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Freedom as a universal desire?

10. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Ghost: The Holocaust wasn't actually hatched until '41, when we were on the cusp of entering the war. What exactly could we have done, prior to that, to stop the terror and expulsion policies of the Third Reich? (Keep in mind that America was still mired in the Depression, had a very small military force, and harbored a citizenry justifiably suspicious of any potential propaganda emanating from the foreign press due to its WWI experience, e.g., "Germans devouring babies," etc.)

Plus, if you're going the route of humanitarian intervention, shouldn't we have entered the first World War sooner, to prevent the first genocide of the 20th century, i.e., the Turks' crimes against the Armenians?

Note: The best recourse, as I see it, was if FDR's government had been far more aggressive in investigating and reining in American industries that were still aiding the Third Reich in '39. Whatever political damage he'd have incurred in an isolationist milieu, FDR's tepid response to Ford and GM's refusal to divest from their German holdings was inexcusable. Sadly, the administration's crackdown on big business didn't begin in earnest until after Pearl Harbor.

Cynda, Jedi Ben, Rew and 1 other person like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The problem with the inter-war years is that WW1 cast a long, long shadow. Only a madman would have desired a return to that immensely destructive state of affairs - every politician of the age had been somehow involved in and seen the consequences of WW1. Unfortunately Hitler was a madman, but it was only late in the day that was reluctantly realised.

That shadow is the explanation for why it was thought for so long that Germany could be reasoned with.

EDIT: Maybe the best way to translate this for the US angle is to look to the US civil war which is one of the very few times war has been waged on a massively destructive scale, with huge loss of life, in the US. 20 years on from the end of that, with that war in very clear, living memory, what would the appetite have been for another, bigger, nastier one?

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Why do you say premiere as "premeer"?

13. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

The Rwandan genocide, Halabja massacre, CIA participation in the crimes of the Pinochet dictatorship and, oh, would you like me to continue.....?

14. a star war

May 4, 2016
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Trump embodies every bad American stereotype.

Leaders of the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Canada and Japan walked 700 yards (oh how ****ing horrible, such a long distance, one must be in Ironman shape to walk that far) along the streets of Taormina, Sicily.

Trump followed in a golf cart.

This Twitter thread is hilarious

16. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    "Ground Force One". [face_laugh]

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    "The Eric Cartman of NATO"

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I still don't understand why you say "premeer" for premiere, Americans.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  19. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Who says premeer? I have never seen it spelled that way. In fact, my autocorrect keeps trying to make it "premiere".

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Pronunciation, not spelling.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Way to score an own goal for Team America, Dinolove4eva.

22. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  25. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    It's French. We don't speak der fancy no good.

We're better known for our racial stereotypes.
    [​IMG]

26. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    The ****?