main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Ender Sigh rags on 'Murica

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    the office uk ends with david brent's rock tour, which is particularly biting satire on office politics

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel obligated to point out that people, in general, don't know how to behave in art museums. That kind of behavior is something I've seen in museums on every inhabited continent.

edit: oh, and the American House of Cards is a pale imitation of the original. First season did a decent job changing things up for a different time and political context, I'll give it that. But it went off the rails.

Ender Sai likes this.
  3. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    don't touch the dying gaul at the capitoline museum, the lady that works there will yell at you

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

The Americans at the Met were in a league of their own. Boorish, crash, unsophisticated, uncultured, uneducated. Stepping over rails for a better photograph. Even worse, taking photos of the pictures and not looking at them. Talking in that uniquely afflicted American way, the one that says the concept of "discretion" or "an inside voice" is utterly foreign. Asking insipid questions. The Rembrandt one is now ahead of the Caesar/divorce/Catholic Church story from Rome in terms of Peak Americana.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ender, that just comes across as you're never having encountered a tourist before. That's not unique to Americans, nor is it the most horrifying thing tourists have done.

I mean, I'll take any of that over using a 1700 year old porphyry statue as a cup holder.

And let's not get into things like people jumping into historic fountains or putting graffiti onto ruins (the latter of which I haven't seen in person, but I've read the news reports).

Also, WTF is with people trying to collapse bridges by putting stupid locks on them?

PCCViking likes this.
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    No - actually, at the end of season two, that's essentially what happens... except it happens on camera. Jim then transfers to another branch and Pam is still engaged to Roy.

I must admit you're spot on here, as Scranton is well-known as the home of American escapist romanticism.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok but if it's mundane why did American Tim and Dawn have to get together, if not the pathological need for happy resolutions to stories.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's been a while since I've seen the UK series, but doesn't British Pam leave British Roy in the final special, with the implication that's she ending up with with British Jim?

In any case, while they end up together in the US series, this is early on, and they deal with trying to figure out their careers, having a child, buying a house, etc. Getting together is by no means the 'happy ending'.

I am curious how the other Office shows ended in other countries, though.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000

I used to go to museums all the time about 15 years ago, and that wasn't the case then. The Met, Museum of Natural History (NYC), Museum of Fine Arts Boston, Peabody Museum, etc. I went on a school trip to Washington DC too, and the group of 13-14 year olds I was with were better behaved than that. Things really have gone downhill here since the advent of social media. That's taken the normal American tendency towards anti-intellectualism & narcissism to new highs (or lows depending on how you look at it). Seems like common decency has all but gone out the window entirely.

Makes me really glad I live out in the middle of nowhere, so I don't have to deal with all the stupid.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK so it's not been a good year for you, America. Your experiment with a republic and all that has finally come crashing down, arguably 200 years too late, with the election of the arch-American himself.

But then we learned things like... you don't have kettles, so you boil your water in saucepans on the stove or MICROWAVE IT LIKE ****ING SAVAGES.

Then that people, actual people, think chocolate milk comes from brown cows was revealed to be a non-joke and actual American moment.

Then Trader Joes "invents" the sausage roll but in typically American fashion, is ignorant of this fact and gives it a stupid name ("Puff dog"? Idiots).

But now? Now it emerges you don't have egg cups. Which means you probably don't do soft boiled eggs and toast soldiers.

How do you take yourselves so seriously (or, in the underdeveloped parlance of your country, "how do you take yourselves so serious") when you just lack the basics like kettles, a young child's grasp of where milk comes from, and no egg cups?

At this point the ocean swallowing the US up would be an act of mercy.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  12. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I...do have a kettle?

No egg cup, but I don't like soft-boiled eggs.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You are an exception then, on the kettle.

But how do you have no egg cups?

This is not ok. It's almost worse than people being allowed to vote and thinking brown cows gave out chocolate milk.

15. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Stop. You're becoming a parody of yourself.

16. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I like eggs in a basket, with a cup of black coffee.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't had enough wine to post what I think about the brown cows give chocolate milk phenomenon.

"One does not cry because one is stupid. One cries because one is sad. I cry because other people are stupid and it makes me sad."

I scramble or boil my eggs, neither of which requires an egg cup. Unless there is something about an egg cup that I don't understand, in which case blame it on the fact that I'm a lousy cook.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How do you consume soft boiled eggs?

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You can't have the rainbow without the rain. Do you know which "philosopher" said that?

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Moony, presumably; he was always the dour one on that show.

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  24. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    As I get older, eggs become more repulsive.

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Why do your lawn mowers have to be powered by petrol. ****s.