main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Ender Sigh's Srs Biz lol @ Murica Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Harpua, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    That's a reasoned response, which does not seem at all sketchy and covering up uncomfortable insecurities and a lack of any real analysis. You have caused me to reconsider my position.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. deathraygun

deathraygun Jedi Knight star 3

May 8, 2014
    Lol, yeah insecurities. Have you ever watched interviews with Obama and noticed his lecturing rants that he's fond of going on? I don't share your observation of humility, but I guess if you consider old domestic issues like the cop shaming leading to the beer summit, with some ***** *** beer choice by Our Prestigious Leader, several rounds of golf, dispatching the Justice Dept to Ferguson to do more cop shaming, or reminding everyone several times that "I know, because I won." a form of humility, then sure. Super humble.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Any "cop" who arrests a Harvard professor for trespassing in his own home deserves to be shamed.

The rest has been hashed out in the US Society and Black Men thread.

I would have no respect for a President who sided with the "cop" who tried to arrest Henry Louis Gates.

But yeah, Ender is right, great argument.

I'm still waiting for the reason that "**** you foreigners, you should be worshipping us Americans, because we do EVERYTHING better" is such a great attitude for a President to have.

4. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    Hah, really? Personal opinion and all but yeah the country seems pretty great. However, we all want to travel and gain cultural exposure. Maybe you could explain hpw the opposite viewpoint gains traction, that we all suck before these foreign Gods of cultural might and know how?

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A reaction to the arrogance of some in our country, particularly those of certain political ideologies?

On a micro- and macro-level, going around proclaiming to everyone else that you're better than they are, eventually gets a visceral reaction, the least of which that nobody wants to acknowledge the good traits you do have.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I think the issue many of these chest-thumping, right wing types take with Mr Obama boils down to this - he's the president who represents what America is, not what America wants to be.

8. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    We all know how police are the real oppressed folk in this country.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Bush Sr. is the reason the United States won the Cold War, and is the reason that Eastern Europe is (still, for now) westerning and liberalizing. He knew how to manage international coalitions, and he knew how to manage world leaders. The Soviets were weak, and weak people do very strange things to prove how strong they are (see: Putin's Russia). Instead, Bush Sr. was gracious -- his party told him to publically gloat over the fall of the Berlin Wall, and he wisely chose not to. In fact, it's arguable that today's Western Europe is shaped by that decision too -- German unification was hotly opposed in Soviet circles and even Gorbachev wishes it wouldn't have happened now, but Bush accomplished through negotiation what would've been impossible through force.

Bush Sr. was better in foreign policy in almost every conceivable way than dead Reagan. His combination of experience and humility was, in fact, what Reagan ended up liking about him so much (they started as enemies).

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Part of the transition was based on not provoking the FSU states, a trend which the right wingers in public discourse and the GOP have roundly ignored. So, yes, look how silly Obama is for not prodding the bear as Dubya heroically did!

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Also that "wimp" reputation always gets me considering the guy was a legit war hero -- youngest pilot in Navy history and he joined to fight in WWII instead of going to Yale and avoiding the draft like his dad wanted. And the guy rather famously completed a mission before bailing out of a crashing plane. Yet somehow people always thought Bush Sr. was weak next to the guy who pretended to be a hero in movies.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Or a son who bravely fought, like so many of his generation, in Vietnam from the Air National Guard.

Lucky he never had the belligerent audacity to criticise any other Vietnam vets.

13. deathraygun

May 8, 2014
    I'm just not sure how you can even posit the question of nationalistic pride, when I would assume that each country has citizens that overwhelmingly hold a favorable opinion of their country, and 2) you ask a forum chock full of apologists and detractors? It's like you pose the question to the people least willing to defend Amerrica, and weirdly enough even those liberal types take issue with it In regards to travel. To borrow a quote from anakinfansince1983 "but but but but but....".... You would think that the country solely responsible for AGW would get a little more credit In your worldview.

I will say once again, I would love to visit Oz, if only to taste your half hearted attempt at beer and rock n roll. Maybe one day you guys will have something more world renowned other than ACDC, Fosters, and that poor lass the Crocodile Hunter. Go #teamOZ.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The main problem I have with American Exceptionalism is the people who espouse it. Okay, maybe you believe America is special and better than all the other countries in the world. But more likely, you fear that this isn't the case; because if you really just believed it, would you have such a big chip on your shoulder? And, if America is in some way special, you don't win anything by being a complete tool about it.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. I'd also add that it would be possible to discuss what's great about America without belittling other countries.

...and FWIW, as long as Budweiser is still selling beer in cans and making commercials depicting the worst sort of redneck making fun of "beer snobs" who drink "pumpkin flavored" beer on tap, we have no room to make fun of any other country's beer. And I don't even like Foster's.

Jedi Ben and Ender Sai like this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

<3

I love how this just also swipes at the post above it.

Rogue, aka Rouge, you're the best.

EDIT: and you too, anakinfansince1983

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    P.S. apologists does not mean what you think it means

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Also the Crocodile Hunter is a man, not a woman.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Ender Sai like this.
  19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I think he's mistaken the word apologist to mean someone who apologizes to the world for America's actions. It's a common accusation made by right-wingers.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Was a man.

He's very dead now.

21. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Your last paragraph illustrates the issue - you can't acknowledges, or even name, the significant achievements of other nations.

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

You can't argue with the fact that he kept Dallas and Houston completely safe from the Viet Cong.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That's true, and in doing so earned Dan Fogarty's respect and was thus immortalised in a reverential Creedence song.

24. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    That's why they call it acting.

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    American exceptionalism would be fine if people only took it in small doses. Instead we have these ultraconservatives who are arrogant jack***es and demand that our leaders act like arrogant jack***es. This kind of juvenile chest-thumping is what has caused America's image to decline, not Obama's "apologizing".