main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Ender's Game, 2013: believe it when you see it

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Asa Butterfield cast in sci-fi film Ender's Game

Oy. I can't get excited any more by Ender's Game movie news. Well, a little bit. Enough to post a new thread.

Alright, I am excited, but not because I necessarily believe it's actually going to happen. Orson Card is a wiser man now, perhaps. Buggers are now "Formics" for reasons that are fairly obvious.

If I were doing this, I'd get the guy who directed the Swedish "Let the Right One In" to direct. That's the tone the movie needs.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    And suddenly a hundred million British comedian jokes were silenced before they could begin.:(

3. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    At last! :D Hope they do it right, and that the kid playing Ender is good (and the other kids as well, obviously).

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Remember when it was going to be Jake Lloyd?

5. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    So, the gate is down again?

6. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    I read that Asa Butterfield (Hugo, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas) was being considered for the role. That'd be cool.

7. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Isn't this book classified as unadaptable?

8. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    The enemy's gate is always down.

9. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Um, the link in the first post confirms that he's been cast as Ender... :p

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The latest news, Harrison Ford has allegedly joined Ender's Game as Col. Graff. Abigail Breslin and Hailee Steinfeld, precocious Oscar nominees both, have also apparently joined the cast. "Allegedly" because, well, it's still Ender's Game we're talking about, the perpetually in development unfilmable story that could easily cost $300 million to do right.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-201112211658reedbusivarietynvr1118047827dec21,0,5394441.story

I'm happy to see Harrison Ford back in the sci fi game, even if it's only produced Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Cowboys & Aliens so far (by the way, finally saw Cowboys & Aliens--didn't seem all that awful to me - only the Olivia Wilde character was a complete waste of narrative).

No matter what, Harrison Ford brings the requisite sci fi credibility to this project. I hope the news is true. Yet another Christmas Miracle.

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'd feel a lot better if it wasn't the Wolverine Origins director doing this film.

12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Plus, you know for sure how it finally got greenlit. Someone pitched it as Hogwarts in Space. With Quidditch!

13. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Psh, what kind of losers click on links? :p

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    [face_laugh]

15. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Good point.

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I wouldn't think so, no. The ending would probably piss a lot of people off, but the book itself is nowhere near as "impossible" as adapting, say, The Silmarillion would be.

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Agreed. The plot is fairly straightforward - I think the biggest challenge with the adaptation would be finding enough good child actors who'd make believable child geniuses and would be able to carry the plot.

18. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Just hire the cast from Super Eight. :p

Haley Joel Osment might be a good pick for this. His "nine year old boy" acts more like a "forty-seven-year-old man" anyway. :p

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Yesterday there was what looked like an official announcement that Ben Kingsley has joined the cast as Mazer Rackham.

I don't know about the director, but we couldn't ask for a better cast:

Harrison Ford - Colonel Hyram Graff
    Asa Butterfield - Ender Wiggin
    Abigail Breslin - Valentine Wiggin
    Hailee Steinfeld - Petra Arkanian
    Ben Kingsley - Mazer Rackham
    Moises Arias - Bonzo
    Aramis Knight - Bean
    Jimmy 'Jax' Pinchak - Peter Wiggin

What kind of budget does this movie need? With Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley in it I assume they have some serious cash behind it. Even Cowboys & Aliens allegedly had a budget of more than $150 million, and to be honest that movie looked kind of cheap.

This is one that could actually be fantastic shot in native 3D a la Avatar or the Hobbit.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm pretty happy with the cast. This was the first sci fi book I ever read so it always has been special for me. I wouldn't be shocked if the ending was changed though for mass consumption. I bet it would piss people off after 2 hours in the theater. I just downloaded it on my Kindle a few days ago, I haven't read this book in forever.

21. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Casting looks good. I'd still love to see them play it straight --we see nothing but simulator battles. Ender's reaction to the news is the "I am your father" moment of the book. Don't screw it up, please!

I wonder if they will include the mind game.

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000

I don't think it necessarily needs a particularly hefty budget. It's been quite a few years since I read the book, but iirc all of the action scenes besides the shower fight and a couple of training scenes happen on computer screens.

Thinking about this offhand-I'm not at all sure what audience reaction might be. It's not exactly the most action-packed science fiction novel, and the ending (in the novel anyway) is just a WHAT moment.

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    whoops.

24. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Hey, this is Hollywood. They've changed tons of endings on books adapted from movies.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The zero gravity battle room fights are the critical Quidditch games for Hogwarts in Space. That would mean months of kids on wires suspended in front of green screens and hopefully some high end digital effects to go with that.

There are a few ways to handle the narration for the movie adaptation. One would be to let the audience in on the secret in advance. That would probably require cutting between the kids on the simulators and the actual battles, upping the effects budget.

Another would be to take more of a Sixth Sense/Twilight Zone approach of breaking the news to Ender and the audience at the same time. That would save some money, but there's no way around the battle room sequences.