Amph Ender's Game series: The Enemy's Gate is Down!

Discussion in 'Community' started by ShrunkenJedi, Jan 5, 2006.

1. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    No Orson Scott Card / Ender's Game / Enderverse thread yet? Surprising!

Ender's Game has to be one of my favorite books of all time, up with the Foundation books (Asimov), very influential when I read it as a real young kid. I love the idea of exploring the psyche of a child (who may be handed far too much), but I also like the characters of Ender and Valentine so much that I like the rest of the Quartet (Ender's Game through Children of the MInd) as much and definitely wanted more. I'm not so impressed by the Shadow books so far.
  2. CarrKicksDoor Jedi Knight

star 3
    You don't like the Shadow books? See, I like the Shadow books much better than I liked the books about Ender. Granted, I've only read through Speaker for the Dead as far as Ender goes, but I never felt that I connected with Ender the same way that I did Bean. I haven't quite figured out why, though, but I think it has something to do, both with the way Bean was raised, and also just the personalities between the two boys.

~Carr
  3. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's not that I don't like them, or that I don't think they're good... I just don't like them the same way. It's probably just personal preference.
  4. Barefoot_XO Jedi Knight

star 3
    A suggestion, if I may, about Speaker for the Dead and the books beyond it...

If you find yourself disliking it, you might try waiting a year or two and trying again. I had the same issue with it when I started. I found that after I allowed myself to spend a bit of time away from it, the plot grew on me...

As for the Shadow books, they are excellent, I shall agree... I'm still hoping that Card will put out just one more book to wrap up the Bean series... If he needs a title, I can supply it... :p

Children of the Shadow

Jasper
  5. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    I shall forever remember Ender's Game as being the only school book I read, literally, overnight.

Excellent, excellent story.

6. -RebelScum- Force Ghost

star 6
    How are the other books in the Enderverse? I've read Ender's Game and loved it, now I am considering picking up the rest and want advice on the matter.

-The Scummy-
  7. ShrunkenJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I would probably say that Ender's Game is the best of the lot, but the others are not bad either. I'd read the rest of the Ender Quartet (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind) first in your position, but as you can see other people have different opinions.
  8. Katieelessar Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey all! I'm glad someone made this thread! :) I've been a fan for a long time!

I like all of the books but, like many, I like the Shadow Series alot more. Ender's Game always remains as my faithful favorite.

Who's everyone's favorite character in the books? I love Achillies. He's so complex and evil *shudders* He's great!

Oh, -RebelScum-, if you want to go on, try Ender's Shadow. It's just a good of a read as Ender's Game, though a bit more complicated. I loved it though and it really helped add to Bean's character!
  9. Laine_Snowtrekker Force Ghost

star 5
    I have read and own all of these books except the last Shadow one--I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback.

Ender's Game is one of the most excellent books I have ever, ever read--and I have really enjoyed the Shadow Series as well. The rest of the Ender Quartet was a bit lengthy and sometimes hard to chew, but it was still very thought-provoking and I did enjoy them.

I just introduced a schoolmate of mine to Ender's Game. She's more of a fantasy lover, and thought that she wouldn't enjoy it--but she read it like in a day and a half! She loved it. Such is the power of Ender's Game!
  10. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    first off, does anyone know anything about the movie for enders game? are they still planning on making it?

enders game is, and will probably forever will be one of my favorite books ever. i too, have fond memories of reading that book in about a day when i borrowed one of my teachers copies that he had laying around.
    i also loved speaker for the dead. very different in style, but still great. xenocide was good, and children of the mind i thought was just all right. (probably would have enjoyed it more if the first 2 wouldn't have been so spectacular)
    never read the bean books. my friend has read them all, and he tells me he didn't like them as much, so i haven't read them yet.
  11. Katieelessar Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yes, there will in fact be a movie directed by Wolfgang Petersen and due out sometime during the 2008 year.

I found: Ender's Game Resourceto be very resourceful with news and updates.

Hooray! This wonderful book is finally being made into a movie![face_dancing]
  12. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    thanks for the info katieelessar! wolfgang petersen is a great director, so i'm glad he's doing the film! he should do ender's game justice i think!
    now i wonder who will play ender.. i remember when i first heard about this movie being made years ago, the rumor was jake lloyd.. something tells me he's probably too old now!:p
  13. Laine_Snowtrekker Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, if you read on in the site, you'll see that it mentions that JL is too old now, as is Haley Joel Osment.

Wonder if they'll get lots of unknowns to play the main characters?
  14. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    i imagine they'd have to get unknowns.. there isn't a young actor i can think of that could pull off ender.. imagine what a difficult role that would be to play for a kid! ender is so ADVANCED for his age... i think if a young kid comes in and REALLY pulls it off, i think they should should give him an academy award on the spot!:p
  15. Genimay Jedi Master

star 4
    Ender's Game was by far my favorite but the others were great to. I have just started the Shadow books and like them so far too. It did surprise me I couldn't find a thread at first too.
  16. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    Enders Game is probably my favorite book. I like the whole series, including the Shadow series. There is another book coming out that will connect the two series called Shadows in Flight.

On movie news, Card posts regularly on his site Hatrack.com, he says that the script is not yet finished. It has gone through various re-writes. Casting is not even being discussed to the best of my knowledge.
  17. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    For anyone curious, here's the chronological order of the entire series:

Untitled Mazer Rackham novel
    The Polish Boy
    Teacher's Pest
    Ender's Game
    Ender's Shadow

A Battle School Christmas
    Shadow of the Hegemon
    Shadow Puppets
    Shadow of the Giant

Untitled novel
    Investment Counselor
    Speaker for the Dead
    Xenocide
    Children of the Mind
    Shadows in Flight

Card is currently writing the novel that takes place before Investment Counselor which is about Ender and Valentine. Next will be Shadows in Flight, which links the Shadow & Speaker series'. And finally will be a novel about Mazer Rackham, which was going to be the next book after SiF but was pushed back when he decided to do the Ender & Val book. The Christmas story is a short story that I though was going to be out this year, but it looks like it'll be next year (maybe as a bonus with the new Ender book).
  18. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I read and really enjoyed the four Ender books. I should re-read them sometime, or read the Shadow books instead.
  19. Katieelessar Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow!:eek: I hadn't heard that! Thank for the info. I can't wait to see it in bookstores soon!

As for the discussion of the actor of Ender, I think it'll probably be some unknown kid they picked up during auditions. I hope he's good! And I read that they're making the kids older, so I think that'll give the directors a little bigger range than if they were picking kids of 5 years old!
  20. obi_webb Force Ghost

star 4
    yeah, i didn't know about those books either! i'm quite intigued with the idea of a mazer rackham novel....
    and as for the news of the casting of OLDER kids then 5 yr olds, that's probably a good idea! it works in the book, but seeing such advanced 5 yr olds would probably be hard to accept in a movie..
  21. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    Card has already said that casting a bunch of 5 yr olds wouldn't work, so he's writing the script for 8-9 year olds, with the oldest kids (Dink Meeker, Petra, etc) being around 12.
  22. Katieelessar Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'd thought I'd start a discussion topic,
    an easy one too, what is everyone's favorite character in the series and why? :)
  23. Master_Keralys Sometime Technical Aide and Erstwhile Lit Mod

Manager
    star 5
    Jane, of course. Card did an interesting job developing her character - an it'll be interesting to see how she'll play into the next Shadow book - I'm really hoping that everything with the descolada gets worked out, or at least starts to. That was my biggest frustration with Children of the Mind: the way it left so much hanging at the end. It resolved the major issues, to be sure, but leaving that whole thread with the descolada open was just about enough to make me want to pull my hair out. The stuff with Pender was interesting... very interesting. A chance, perhaps, for Ender's soul to redeem itself. [face_thinking]

- Keralys
  24. DRHJ9 Force Ghost

star 4
    My favorite character is Bean. He goes through the most growth. He was the reluctant hero to the end. I also like the dynamic with him and Ender, the only person he cared about up to that point in his life in battle school.
  25. Obi-Ron42 Jedi Knight

star 1