Ender's Game

Discussion in 'Cleveland, OH' started by Jade-Walker, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Caroline bought me Ender's Game for my birthday and I started reading it after getting back from Europe.

Wow! I am up until (or past) midnight every day reading it! I can't put it down.

Has anyone else read it? If you haven't and you like sci fi, you should! It is really excellent!
  2. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    I bought the book after a guy I was seeing highly recommended it, but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. I've read Robota, a story written by OSC but illustrated by Doug Chiang (former Star Wars artist and designer), and I really liked it. Actually, OSC was at MIT this past Sunday; I was too sick to go see him talk unfortunately, but you can read an interview with him here. :)
  3. REBO1971 Jedi Knight

star 1
    GREAT book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been several years since I read it, so I am rusty on the details. It is a classic sci-fi novel. Very character oriented-you really get to know Ender amd feel for him. One of my wife's college proffessors even recommended the book, so she read it also and really liked it, and she doesn't even like sci-fi!!!

I am actualy half way through the sequel, Speaker for the Dead, and it is really good as well but with a totally different feel than Ender's Game. There are a total of 4 Ender books, (I think). Plus there is a series of books set at the same time and place as Ender's Game but told from different character's points of view (Ender's Shadow was the first of the series, I believe.)

My favorite Orson Scott Card book is Pastwatch. A harder read than Ender's game with a lot of historical fiction, but it is the most interesting book I have every read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Malo-ha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Excellent, awesome book, I couldn't put it down once I started it.
  5. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to sign up at my new library to get the sequel.
    Does anyone know what the order of the series is?
    I've looked online, but I can't seem to find what the order is.
  6. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    The sequel trilogy consists of Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind. Then there's the Shadow quartet: Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow Puppets, and Shadow of the Giant. There's also a collection of shorter stories called First Meetings. :)
  7. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Almost done with the book :)
    Wow! I just got to the big event, I think! I didn't expect that!
    Lots of surprises in this book. Such a difference from so many books and movies that you can predict all the turns of events ahead of time. ;)
  8. skyedancer Jedi Knight

star 2
    I haven't read it but I see it often included in "must-read" lists for science fiction/fantasy readers. I'll try to get a copy from my local library. :D
  9. Jade-Walker Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah. It definitely is a must read!
    So different from much of what you've (well, what I"ve) read.
    I finished it now and will have to move on to the next book. I really have to get to the library here! ;)
    I was surprised by the big climax. And I liked the "epilogue" part of the story as well. I wonder what the next books have in store.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.