main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Endless Stormtroopers

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Wolf3118, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthKarde

DarthKarde Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    George Lucas said on HYPERSPACE that the stormtroopers are all clones from different templates. He didn't say anything about recruits.

It's a good job that I don't really care what GL says in interviews.

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    George Lucas said on HYPERSPACE that the stormtroopers are all clones from different templates. He didn't say anything about recruits.

1. The EU says there were recruits, and GL didn't say there weren't recruits.
    2. Then where the heck do you expect them to get the templates?

3. Evil_Billaba

Evil_Billaba Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    why didnt they just use Boba?

4. Jedi_Lord_Windu

Jedi_Lord_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 21, 2003
    personally i think the clonetroopers are just turned into stormtroopers....i mean being 64 or so by the time of the OT would explain their ineffectivness in battle....plus im sure they made lots more clones during the clone wars, i mean 1.2 million arent going to cut it in a galxy with thousands of worlds......th clone wars would need hundreds of millions of soldiers on each side to protect and defend each world....

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>He didn't say anything about recruits.<<

True, but one has to do some logical analysis- if they can only produce 1.2 million clones every 10 years, even if they made 2 or 3 additional cloning facilities on Kamino, you still have an insufficient number of soldiers to put a large enough military presence ona world to subjugate it...unless you think having a dozen stormtroopers on every planet would enough to keep them cowering in fear of the Empire.

By that logic- Han single handedly liberated about a dozen systems in ANH [face_batting]

6. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    That's 1.2 million clones every five years, judging from the different stages we see in AOTC (fetuses, Boba's age, full-grown). With the first 1.2 million coming off the line during AOTC, and subsequent shipments every 5 years for the next 25 years, that's 6 million per cloning factory. Palpatine would logically have expanded the operation after becoming Emperor, so it's not too hard to believe that a big enough army of Stormtroopers could be made. Star Destroyers and Death Stars aren't manned by STs, but rather by general navy recruits (the guys in the sweeping helmets). The STs serve only as Palpatine's special troops (similar to Nazi Germany's stormtroopers), so clones could fill their ranks entirely. As to where they get the sources for the clones, probably from the top guys in the Imperial Navy. Or the not-so-top, but well-connected ones (GL's comment about the cousin who can't shoot being used as a template).

7. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    True, but one has to do some logical analysis

ok i'm doing logical analysis:

-theres no sound in space yet there is in SW.

-space is a vacum, but in SW you can walk around inside an astaroid with a lil breather mask on and live.

-tatooine has no vegetation but there's air?!?

-lightsabers?!?

-in SW you can send a holographic message thousands of light years but it will appear in real time....errrr

-they travel at the speed of light...

-people with special powers due to concentrations of microscopic lifeforms within their blood....

need i go on?
    star wars is filled with illogic. why is it so hard to believe in 1.2 million clones winning the clone wars, but you accept tons of other illogical things like the rebellion in it's small size defeating the empire, which had all the resources in the known galaxy at it's disposal.. sheesh...

1. The EU says there were recruits, and GL didn't say there weren't recruits

speaking of logic and illogic, the old "GL didn't say" logic.

well shoot, Gl didn't say alot of things, does that make all things he didn't say a possibility? GL didn't say the clones don't wear pink tutu's under their armor. do you think they do? GL also didn't say they each have only 4 toes on their left foot. do you think it's a possibility?

with this line of logic you can say anything is possibly true because GL didn't say it wasn't.

it's amazing that even when he does say something, such as the stormtroopers are clones from different sources, you instaed concentrate on what he didn't say.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> That's 1.2 million clones every five years, judging from the different stages we see in AOTC (fetuses, Boba's age, full-grown).<<

But only from the original cloning facility. The new facilities would be starting from scratch and their first batch wouldn't be ready for a decade.

Let's say they add two more cloning fcailities on Kamino equal to the production capacity of the original facility, immeidately after the Clone Wars end.

19 BBY: Guesstimate 600,000 surviving Clone troopers from the original batch.
    19 BBY: Facilities 2 and 3 begin production
    17 BBY: Facility 1 produces 1.2 million troops ("Boba's Age" in AOTC)
    12 BBY: Facility 1 produces 1.2 million troops
    09 BBY: Facility 2 produces 1.2 million troops
    09 BBY: Facility 3 produces 1.2 million troops
    07 BBY: Facility 1 produces 1.2 million troops
    04 BBY: Facility 2 produces 1.2 million troops
    04 BBY: Facility 3 produces 1.2 million troops
    02 BBY: Facility 1 produces 1.2 million troops
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Total Number of troops available to control the galaxy under threat of force by ANH: 10.2 million troops.

Or: about enough to place Iraq-sized forces on only 88 planets. And there are thousands, if not millions, of worlds out there for the Empire to control, and that's ignoring backwater worlds in the outterrim that don't serve any importance.

>>ok i'm doing logical analysis...need i go on?<<

But, unlike in those instances you cite, there's no reason to throw out logic on this topic.

>>why is it so hard to believe in 1.2 million clones winning the clone wars, but you accept tons of other illogical things like the rebellion in it's small size defeating the empire, which had all the resources in the known galaxy at it's disposal<<

Winning the clone wars isn't so hard to believe- 1.2 million was enough to wage one or two battles at a time while still barely defending key worlds. They don't need to control an entire galaxy under force.

It's after the clone wars that is the real problem- the clones will suffer casualties, and those key enemy worlds will now not just have to have been defeated on a military level, but now must be held by force and rebuild.

And until the next batch of clones comes out, whether it be 5 years or 10 years, there's still 2 or 3 years where you have less than a million troops. Not to mention, as shown above, that there's a 7 to 10 year gap following the Clone Wars where they only get a single new batch of clones, and this during the time when the Empire is in it's most fragile state.

There's currently about 116,000 American troops in Iraq- and that's just a country. We're talking multiple planets here- and you can't pacify them with a Force not even adequate enough to contain 10 countries.

5 years down the road, you can control another 10 countries, then you're pretty much screwed for a decade.

As to the Rebellion's chances for success, how can they win? Simple- they have recruits ::)

Also, they don't have to defend worlds, whereas the Empire must station heavy forces on Coruscant and other key core worlds, as well as some kind of small presence of others. The Rebels, at best, had to defend only two or three bases, the rest were more or less "active". That gives them a key advantage in the war.

9. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I'm preusming that they used other Clone Templates, as it would be the most efficent method. I don't think they kept all Jango clones since that would make them far too alike and give a lot of weaknesses that could be exploited, but I also don't think they would use that many recruits since recruits would have questionable loyalty, and most likely not as much training or natural skill. So the Stormtroopers are probably a mix of Jango clones and other clones.

Also, who said there were only 1.2 million Jango clones during the Clone Wars? I thought they kept using the Jango template to make clones throughout the war- it seems unlikely they would stop making soldiers right after the war started.

10. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    But only from the original cloning facility. The new facilities would be starting from scratch and their first batch wouldn't be ready for a decade.

Whoops. You're absolutely right there.

Now as to the numbers given: this is assuming that only two other facilities are built. And that (and I made this assumption as well) they stick to the every five years schedule. With more facilities, and a quicker schedule, they could get the requisite numbers easily.

As to the number of STs needed in the galaxy: they're not there to control planets. Local security forces and local governments can do that, much like they did in the Republic era. The STs are still Palpatine's special troops. Notice their uses in the OT:

ANH:
    - Apprehending the DS plans
    - Stationed on the DS
    ESB:
    - Part of Vader's personal task force
    - Controlling Bespin under the command of Vader
    ROTJ:
    - "A legion of my best troops"
    - Stationed on the DS2
    - Controlling a revolution/riot outside the Imperial Palace (SE)

All of these are either assignments directly under the auspices of the Emperor or his right-hand man, Vader. They aren't local law enforcement, they aren't serving as crew on SDs, or any other thing of the sort. I already covered law enforcement, and Navy positions would be the jobs left to recruits, which we see in the movies as the guys in Imperial uniforms and wearing those helmets.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Also, who said there were only 1.2 million Jango clones during the Clone Wars?<<

Lucas specified to the author of the first Clone Wars novel that there would be no more.

I imagine this was done on purpose by Sidious- by giving the Republic insufficient troops to make a quick citory, it forced the war to take several years, thus granting him more power for longer and killing more Jedi.

As for how STs are used in the films- you may have a point, though we aren't given any situations where we see non-ST imperial troops besides the death star.

12. MetalGoldKnight

Jul 31, 2002
    "Lucas specified to the author of the first Clone Wars novel that there would be no more.

I imagine this was done on purpose by Sidious- by giving the Republic insufficient troops to make a quick citory, it forced the war to take several years, thus granting him more power for longer and killing more Jedi."

Oh. Well that's rather interesting, although it doesn't explain why someone else in the Republic wouldn't at least question why they weren't making more troops.

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Propaganda probably told the public that they couldn't produce clones any faster.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    tatooine has no vegetation but there's air?!?

So does the Sahara desert

15. MetalGoldKnight

Jul 31, 2002
    "Propaganda probably told the public that they couldn't produce clones any faster."

So Palpatine deliberatly extended the war beyond it's needed time in order to consolidate his power and get the galaxy 'used to' martial law so to speak? Brilliant. It seems Sidious' plans go deeper and deeper...

16. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    I have noticed that there seems to be and endless supply of stormtroopers. Where do they all come from?

Kamino keeps growing them.

17. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    Not during the Clone Wars. They had to stop production because of a Separatist attack.

18. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    Not during the Clone Wars. They had to stop production because of a Separatist attack.

Of course that's EU. But what's the EU explaination between the events of III-IV? Anyway there is obviously a lot of stormtroopers in the OT and they had to come from somewhere since Lucas said they are all clones.

19. jedi_master_ousley

Jun 14, 2002
    He did not say they are ALL clones. ;)

20. D_Lowe

Aug 15, 2002
    From the AOTC Audio Commentary

"Boba had a connection to stormtroopers. I sort of built him out of the stormtroopers, and I knew stormtroopers were clones. Exactly what that relationship was I hadn't really established yet. I knew Boba was a clone, but I didn't know how all of that fit together. I knew that the clones were made out of a bounty hunter, and when I got to this story, I thought "Well, gee, the best bounty hunter is Boba Fett. And rather than him maybe being a clone, he could be the originator of the clones." Most of the pieces were there, but I actually put them all together in this one."
    --George Lucas

"It wasn't until I started working on this script that I decided to make Boba the son of the Original Clone. Before he was just another clone who was for whatever reason had sort of broken loose from the stormtroopers. I didn't really go into detail at that point, even in my mind or in the back story about any more of it other than that they were connected but early on the stormtroopers were meant to be clones."
    --George Lucas

"Throughout as we go through the movie there's all little funny moments like Jango bumping his head because in Star Wars one of the stormtroopers bumps his head on the door as they leave the control room on the Death Star and I thought wouldn't it be funny if that's a trait that Jango has. When he puts his helmet on and everything he can't really see that well and so he's constantly bumping his head and that trait gets cloned into all the stormtroopers and that's why they keep bumping their heads."
    --George Lucas

21. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Imagine this;

You've got a cloning facility that makes soldiers. They are genetically modified, uniformly trained for the specific task of being a soldier literally from birth, and obey orders without question.

Why would you want to put recruits in with them?

Sure, you'd want recruits in your army, but why put them in with the cloned soldiers? What would be the point?

22. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Well, you haven't got much choice if you start running out of clones...

23. MetalGoldKnight

Jul 31, 2002
    "Well, you haven't got much choice if you start running out of clones..."

But why would they?

24. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Think about it. 1.2 million clones will not last for they 25 odd years between AOTC and ROTJ, and IIRC, they don't get that many more off Kamino...

25. Rise_Of_Thrawn

Rise_Of_Thrawn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Take World War II, then mutliply it thousand-fold. You have the size of the clone wars. It's not like it's just one battle; which seems to be something that many people are having trouble understanding. The Clone Wars were huge, and you must realize that the amount of clones produced at the time of the Battle of Geonosis was far from sufficient for a galaxy-wide war.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.