main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Endor Crawl Problem

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by Unitedhorizon, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unitedhorizon

Unitedhorizon Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2007
    Hello,

I am having a small problem with a scene at the moment, I'm using 3DS max and I am working with the crawl file that is available to download in which I have introduced a Republic Ship that enters however I have also downloaded Endor and for some reason when I exported Endor as a .3ds file and imported it in to my crawl project I have lost the blue atmosphere glow around the planet that was originally there in the .max file. Any one know what the problem may be?

Thanks
    Bryce

PS> is Omni lights really the best way to do engine glows?

2. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    I use blender for my work, and havent used much of max, but maybee I can help. I think the reason that you lost the blue glow is because .3ds saves ony actual mesh data. Depending on how the blue glow was made, it was probably lost. In max, is it possible as an import option to import a .max file. Cause if you can, then you wouldnt have to rely on .3ds

For

I dont think so. If you have after effects, you could add a shere to where each engine is in max, and have them move with the ship. Then, render your video. Next, change the materials on all the ships, planets, everything, to black no specularity, and keep the spheres on the engines pure white. Render that. Then just make glow like a lightsabers.
    Alternatly, you could adjust this for engine glow than lightsabers: http://theforce.net/fanfilms/software/3dstudiomax/tutorial_keltner/index.asp
    Bruce

3. Unitedhorizon

Dec 17, 2007
    Does anyone know how to import a .3ds file into another .3ds file? I have tried to find a way to do it in 3DS Max but I can't seem to work out how.

PS yeah I thought that may be your answer about the glow thanks for the heads up.

4. darthviper107

darthviper107 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2003
    You're going about it the wrong way. In 3ds Max if you want to move a model from another Max file into a separate file you can easily just go to File>Merge and then select the Max file that has the object that you want to import into your current scene, then it'll list all the objects and let you select the ones you want to merge. Just realize it might not be the right scale.

For engine glow there are a couple ways of doing it. An Omni by itself will not give an engine glow. You can add a glow effect by going to Render>Effects and in that window you can add render effects like glow to lights or objects, there's even an option to have it change intensity and size based on distance. You could also go through the After Effects route if you need to but you don't really have to.

5. Unitedhorizon

Dec 17, 2007
    Thanks for that. It works perfectly with the atmosphere glow :)

One other question and remember I am new to 3ds. I have downloaded the Republic Cruiser 2 file however in my project two of the ships panels are showing up in green and blue as if the image for that part of the ship is missing. Would someone be able to explain how to fix it? Thanks again all.

6. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    Are they showing up that color when you render? And if they were from a .3ds file then they might not have textures applied.

7. Unitedhorizon

Dec 17, 2007
    Yes they do show up that color when I render. It is the Republic Cruiser 2 by Alan Rivard available to download from scified.com. It is a .3ds file but its only two panels that are having this problem. If it is a matter of applying textures to it would someone be able to tell me how to do it for this model?

Thanks Again
    Bryce

8. Unitedhorizon

Dec 17, 2007
    Also note that I have assigned the correct texture directory when they pop up to render but I still have the problem. Did anyone else have this problem?

9. darthviper107

Jun 26, 2003
    It's probably because it's from a .3ds file and most likely it's a piece that has a special material that didn't translate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.