main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Endor: Planet or Moon?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BobaMatt, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    It must also be noted, that to be a moon capable of maintaining an atmosphere and life, it (the forestry moon of Endor) would have to be damn large relative to other moons in other systems, especially when orbiting a gas giant.

It is hence concievable why the DSII could still be referred to as the size of a "small moon." ;)

2. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    And you've looked where?

I haven't really looked anywhere. I'm saying I haven't seen anything contradictory. I'm just cruising through the threads, man...not doing any research.

You guys are the ones posting quotes as evidence and the lack of such. :p

But since you ask...I just checked the Databank of starwars.com.

It states: "Secluded in a remote corner of the Outer Rim Territories, the gas giant Endor and its verdant moon of the same name would easily have been overlooked by a busy galaxy were it not for the decisive battle that occurred there. "

Here's the link: Databank_Endor

Have a nice day.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Moon: A natural satellite revolving around a planet.

So what planet was the DS near in ANH, when Luke said it's a moon. Even Han thought it was a moon.....

Ok, just thought about this. I guess they thought it was a moon of Alderaan since that's where they were! Does Alderaan have any moons?

4. DarthPhelps

Jan 31, 2002
    I guess they thought it was a moon of Alderaan since that's where they were!

That's my take on it. The Falcon had just arrived in the Alderaan system, and it didn't take long chasing the TIE for it to encounter the DS.

Perhaps the Databank has something on Alderaan's satellites (or lack thereof), but I'm too lazy to check right now.

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    In the ANH novelization, Han states that Alderaan has no moons.

6. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    a-ha, so it is a mistake then! In the film, he indicates that he thinks it's a moon.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    He doesn't actually say he thinks it's a moon. Luke thinks the TIE is heading for a small moon, and Han simply says he thinks he can get the TIE before it gets there.

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    But if he knew there were no moons, he'd have said "That's not a moon. Alderaan doesn't have any". He's a cocky so-and-so, and would jump at the chance to put Luke down a peg or two

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Here's the link: Databank_Endor"

"Have a nice day."

[Vader] "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have created." [/Vader]

So now you think you've proved something? I refer you back to BobaMatt's reponse to the "Parsec=time" scenario.

"The half-assed explanation the OS posted was rationalization after the fact, GL covering his butt."

In fact, the Ask the JC entry states...

Q: Han claims that the Falcon made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs -- but a parsec is a unit of distance, not time. What's the deal?

While Captain Solo is known to make boastful claims that seem to defy the basic laws of space-time physics, in this particular case, an understanding of the mechanics of the Kessel Run illuminates this statistic.

The Kessel Run is a contest of speed and endurance for smugglers. Those who undertake it must deliver specified cargos (usually illicit in nature) to a series of divergently moving transport vessels. The smuggler must deliver the cargo before the transports wander out of the free trade lanes into restricted Imperial space.

Solo's record is impressive, since the transport vessels covered less than 12 parsecs of distance during his hurried run between them, a testament to his piloting and the speed of the Millennium Falcon.

There is more than one way to smuggle spice out of Kessel. According to one tale, Solo left out the middleman and ferried the stolen goods himself, skirting dangerously close to the Maw Cluster, a baffling congregation of black holes. In doing so, he shortened the distance for the run, achieving an impressive record of under 12 parsecs.

Using either methodology allows Solo's claim to stand, but there are many, including the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi, who felt that the Corellian captain was just blowing hot air.

So much for all that "official reasoning", huh? The fact that an explanation exists now doesn't mean 1) it existed then, 2) it was intentional to begin with, and 3) it is necessarily a "correct" or credible answer in any scenario. You really have to take this kind of stuff into context, which is why research and explanation is important, rather than simply posting "answers".

"Luke thinks the TIE is heading for a small moon, and Han simply says he thinks he can get the TIE before it gets there."

"But if he knew there were no moons, he'd have said "That's not a moon. Alderaan doesn't have any". He's a cocky so-and-so, and would jump at the chance to put Luke down a peg or two"

This is not a problem. Luke, to his and our knowledge, has never been off Tatooine, and wouldn't necessarily know such specifics about Alderaan. Solo, for his part, is more concerned about 1) flying directly into an unknown asteroid field 2) being chased by the Empire, and 2) having his location reported by a lone TIE fighter. Whether or not there's an extra moon around doesn't quite factor into his thought processes. Besides, as soon as he does get a good look at it, he immediately sees that something's wrong. Perhaps it just took a few seconds for the "Alderaan has no moon" fact to take effect, in addition to everything else he is focusing on. Don't tell me this has never happened to you?

10. Baron

Baron Jedi Youngling

Sep 18, 2003
    Luke and Han look out the cockpit and see a massive sphere. Luke calls it a "small moon". Whether Han thought Alderaan had moons or not is kind of moot. They're staring straight at this thing! What else could it be?

Also consider that Alderaan has just been reduced to rubble.
    I also agree that Han clearly had other things to do at the moment than correct Luke's goegraphy(galactaphy?)

11. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Don't tell me this has never happened to you?

Funny you should mention that, I was flying to Mars last week, being chased by several angry Venusians. As I approached the planet, I saw 3 large bodies around the planet, and I didn't register the fact that Mars only has 2 moons. It turned out that the 3rd 'moon' was in fact Rik Waller :p :D

[image=http://www.964eagle.co.uk/images/rikwaller.jpg]

12. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    OMG! You too!?! :eek:

:p

13. DarthPhelps

Jan 31, 2002
    Jeez, you're sassy. What have you got against me, anyway?

1) it existed then, 2) it was intentional to begin with, and 3) it is necessarily a "correct" or credible answer in any scenario. You really have to take this kind of stuff into context, which is why research and explanation is important, rather than simply posting "answers".

1)True, but then I didn't say that, did I?

2)True, and evidence of this kind of thing is fleshed out often as the newer films develop, and various interviews with Lucas are revealed. I'm sure that Lucas had no intention of C3PO being 'created' by Anakin when Star Wars came out in '77.

That said, do 1) and 2) really matter? If you want answers based on dialogue in the films, then we really don't have anything solid to address this question. Any response is based on conjecture, guesswork, and hopefully logic. That said:

3) I see no reason why the Moon and Planet sharing the same name would not be "correct" or credible. It is as credible as the notion that they have different names.
    You can throw out the 'parsec' issue from Databank as an examle of a weakness in the Databank if you wish. I think it is an apples-to-oranges comparison. The parsec problem lies with Han's character incorrectly applying the term in the context of his statement (distance vs. time). It isn't like there were characters making comments about Endor's axial spin being described in ft-lb.

Shall we just put this to rest and say that the answer (if the Databank is to be dismissed) must be up to the interpretation of the viewer?

14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Optimist: The glass is half full. Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
    Me: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

LMAO!

15. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I was flying to Mars last week, being chased by several angry Venusians
    Avast, that be a problem for us all the time...says I. What is a respectible pirate to do when dem Ventians try to broadside yar vessel.

...the gas giant Endor and its verdant moon of the same name...
    If that is so, does that mean Neil Armstrong and mates (technically) landed on Earth?

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Don't let any of those conspiracy theorists that believe the moon landing was faked hear that. :p

17. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    conspiracy

[face_laugh] You don't make them very often, BF,T, but when you do, they're good ones. BTW, which way do you pronounce that? :D

Dispute over the pronunciation of AT-AT ;)

(BTW, make sure you guys head over to the social thread, to get your "official" pirate name. :)

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I have my moments. :D

19. DarthPhelps

Jan 31, 2002
    If that is so, does that mean Neil Armstrong and mates (technically) landed on Earth?

:p

No, unfortunately, it's just plain old Moon.

You'd think we'd come up with something catchier. Maybe some corporation will buy it, and it will become Hewlett Packard Moon or Moon 1.0, brought to you by Microsoft.

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
  21. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "gassy giant"

[face_laugh] Oh, if Andre were alive to hear you today... ;)

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
  23. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Jeez, it looks like men in their mid-thirties who're named Eric need to take a time out.

24. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    The moon of Endor is sometimes called Endor for simplicity. Simple as that.

25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    That was an excellent joke to end the thread on! :eek: :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.