main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Endor's (overly) abundant life...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 4LOM, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    In various EU materials, Endor has been depicted as being inhabited by a great number of sentient beings. They include:

The Ewoks
    The Duloks (From the Ewoks cartoon)
    The Gorax (The giant from the Ewok movie)
    The Teek (From another Ewok movie)
    The Yuzzem

I can buy the Imperials chose Endor to host their shield generator, and either overlooked or ignored the Ewoks. But how did they think Endor would be a good location for their operations with all these different aliens running around? I could see the Gorax or the Teek, especially, causing some trouble for the Imps.

In addition, is it possible for a planet to host so many sentient lifeforms? Why are they all (relatively) primitive? Could they all be offshoots from a common ancestor? Are any of them from other worlds?

Plus, why is Endor used so sparingly in EU material? It seems like a fascinating world. Showing the interactions between all these peoples via an adventure on the forest moon would be interesting. It would also make for a nice break from the over-used Tatooine.

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Why there are so many species on the planet is partially explained in Gamer #9, it has to do with the amount of ships that crashed on the planet over the years, by beings who couldn't navigate the difficult gravitational eddies that exist around the planet, and moon.

3. Shadeleader

Shadeleader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 25, 2003
    it's the closest they can come to disavowing a lot of the ewok stuff that was done, I suppose. I would like to see more ewoks, though; i'll admit i like 'em.

Somebody call Denning and tell him we need an ewok jedi, stat!

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "disavowing"

They don't disavow any of it, due to the fact that Lucas was involved with making the show, and there are alot of fans of the material. Added trivia, Ben Burtt (Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide, Skywalker Sound), and Micheal Reeves(Shadow Hunter) both wrote stories for the show.

The article in gamer, actually went over several of the species on the planet (many are from the Moddell sector, the sector in which Endor is located).

The idea of people crashing on the planet, comes from the two ewoks movies, as we know of at least 3 crashes from those movies, the Towanis, Noa, and his Friend, Charal of Dathomir, and the Marauders.

5. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    I didnt know that the Yuzzem were native to Endor. Interesting...

6. Shadeleader

Shadeleader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 25, 2003
    I didn't say anything was disavowed. Just positing a guess as to to why nothing much happens on Endor these days.

7. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I can buy the Imperials chose Endor to host their shield generator

Well, it's really the only place to stick another base, Endor, the planet is all gas.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    It's a good place to put it since only the best pilots can even travel there due to the gravitational eddies.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Next week's Fact File issue actually has Endor's wildlife as one of the topics. If you post a query over in the Fact File thread when it is out I will put up a summary for you.

10. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    The Imperials could have stuck their shield generator on an orbiting platform inside the area the shield protects, for starters.

11. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    . . . Noa, and his Friend, Charal of Dathomir . . .

Is Dathomir actually mentioned in THE BATTLE FOR ENDOR? I know it was the planet in COPL with the Force witches, and I know there's a witch in that second Ewok movie, but do they actually mention Dathomir in it, or was it established years later in the EU that she was from Dathomir?

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    In the EU years later...

13. Spacehunter24

Spacehunter24 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2003
    Ah. Thanks. I've actually never seen THE BATTLE FOR ENDOR. Don't know how I missed it, since I watched CARAVAN OF COURAGE all the time on tape, but I did. I heard it was better than the first one, too.

14. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    A slightly off-topic question, but about witches of Dathomir. I heard somewhere that Tavion of JK:JO and JK:JA fame was a Dathomiri witch. Can anyone confirm that?

15. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I'm pretty sure she was. Wonder if Tavion ever paid a visit to Endor? (why would the witches even bother?)

16. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    A point of clarification. Yuzzum (from ROTJ) *are* native to Endor, Yuzzem (from SOTME) are not.

TC

17. Eyrezer

Eyrezer Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    Pelranius, You think so or you think there is a source that says so?

18. 4LOM

4LOM Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Thanks, TalonCard...I really don't know my Yuzzums from my Yuzzems so I usually wing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.