main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Enemies Among Us - Obi/Qui, pre-TPM - Thank-you So Much To My Readers - Completed 2/3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Master_Noi, Nov 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Very nicely done, Noi. I'll bet the Minister's wife is sad to see Obi missing. :p

2. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Wow, we've reached 100 posts!!! Thanks everyone for reading.

3. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    It will be interesting to see how Qui settles this and gets Obi back safely at the same time. I may not be able to reply to every post. You're going way to fast for me! ;) I'll reply as I catch up. :)

4. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Ooh dear poor Qui. I don't think I'd have the discipline he does to lie like that.. Excellent post ! More soon please ;)

5. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    I've been a bit silent recently- the two chapters before this one were real short and there wasn't much to comment on this one. but now that we have a regular sized post (this is regular sized, right?) I figured I'd come out of the lurker hole and post.

A very intresting turn of events so far. Obi-Wan is in custody and Qui-Gon is forced to lie to protect him. I'm confident that Qui-Gon will find a way to outwit Macres and eventually free Obi-Wan, but I'm really curious as to what Macres' agenda is. I suspect that there are other players in this dark game. Also, what's up with Lady Marinou, you know, the one that was fiending for Obi-Wan?

6. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    YOU (points to Noi) have been taking lessons at cliffies from our master, haven't you?!

:D Great story sis!!!!! I love the way you've twisted this around to make Jinn follow the rules - that's great :)

:_| Poor Obi!!! But he is focused - if there is a way to escape, he'll find it

I am anxiously awaiting further chapters

~~~your sister,

...............The Wookiee

7. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Oooo, I return to the boards after a long absence and find this awesome story!! Yay!! This is really great so far. I really liked how you mentioned the irony in an earlier post about Qui having to follow the rules. Love the attention to detail. You're doing an awesome job, keep it up. Now, post more!!!

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Opal's right. She must be upset not to find him available for stalking

9. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Jaxx_w - poor Qui :(

Princess_Arulmozhi - I hate Macres [face_devil]

Healer_Leona - Yes, Macres does seem to know a lot about Jedi, but might not be thinking clearly on what he can truly get away with. ;)

Kynstar - I'd be disgusted too at having to eat with the guy and watch him laugh and talk with the man he wishes to kill. Glad you liked that picture!

tangle_sphere - I hope a hole in the captor's plan comes to light soon.[face_mischief].

Jedikma - Yay, I get your 1000th post!! [face_dancing] Well, it's official, everyone seems to hate Macres.

Opal - Well, since you like her so much, you'll get to see more of her soon. :p

o_e - Don't worry about posting to every post. I know I'm moving pretty quickly. ;) Thanks for hanging in there.

Layren - Yeah, he's erally not liking the situation he's in.

vivid_scripts - I assure you, your questions will be answered. Qui is going to start learning a lot.

flashbacca - Who, me? O:) I haven't forgot about Obi.

KenobisGirl - Welcome back to the boards, and welcome to the story! Glad you are enjoying it.

Kitara - [face_laugh]

10. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Okay, today's post has been uncooperative, but I think I finally got it to what I want.

Chapter 13 ? (Day 1, Early Afternoon)

As promised, the morning had been full of receptions with varying government officials. On a good day, Qui-Gon despised social functions. Today, the whirlwind of new names, new faces, and new titles grated on him even more than normal. In addition, Advisor Macres had been his shadow all morning ? giving him no more than moments alone with any one person and blocking all contact with Minister Marinou.

He was now in the sitting room of the Marinou private suite with the first minister and Macres after the flurry of morning activities. Macres had his eyes closed with his head reclined back. Minister Marinou was perusing a datapad.

?Athan, I thought you were going to rest,? Macres said.

The first minister chuckled slightly. ?This is resting, Cyril.?

?What are you looking at?? Qui-Gon asked.

?It?s my speech for tomorrow night.?

?That?s work Athan,? Macres replied.

?I happen to find it relaxing,? he paused. ?You know Cyril, you?re starting to sound like Phedra now.?

The door chimed and Chief Sitara entered with a young man, who quickly whispered something to the first minister. He motioned for his advisor and both men exited the room with Macres turning to give Qui-Gon a stern glace before leaving.

Qui-Gon sat in silence, regarding his companion. The head of the minister?s security had taken a seat on the sofa, still maintaining his rigid posture. Qui-Gon studied him, realizing he knew very little about him. He hadn?t heard him utter more than two or three words at a time since they had met.

?How long have you served with Minister Marinou?? he asked.

The man looked up, almost startled at being addressed.

?I have been in charge of Athan Marinou?s security since he was first in the legislature. It?s been over 10 years now.?

Qui-Gon practically ached to know where the man?s loyalties rested. He found it hard to believe one could protect someone for 10 years and then be involved in a conspiracy to have him assassinated, but he was hard to read.

He was soon aware that the head of security was watching him with a puzzled expression.

?I believe that?s your comlink, Master Jinn.?

Qui-Gon looked down at his pocket. He had been too absorbed in thought to recognize the unfamiliar chiming. He pulled the comlink from his pocket, pressing the button to receive.

?This is Master Jinn,? he acknowledged.

There was nothing but silence on the other end, crackling to static. Qui-Gon shut the comlink off.

?I?m sorry, but I really should be going, Chief Sitara.?

?Not at all, I have duties I should attend to as well,? the stoic man said with a nod as he stood again.

Qui-Gon exited the room, and hurried back to his quarters, assuming that was where the obvious warning wanted him to return to. He sat in silence in his quarters, each minute dragging by. After an eternity it seemed, he sensed Macres coming promptly before the man angrily bust into the room.

?We had an understanding that you were to talk to no one!? Cyril Macres barked as the door hissed shut behind him and the Jedi Master.

?I didn?t reveal anything,? Qui-Gon replied, rising to his feet defensively.

Then explain to me why Minister Marinou wants a private meeting with you tonight. What message did you get to him?!? Macres barked.

?I haven?t had any contact with him all day, you?ve seen to that,? Qui-Gon spat back.

Macres removed his comlink from his pocket, preparing to activate it.

With lightning speed, the Jedi master picked Macres up and slammed him against the wall, holding him eye to eye. The smaller man?s feet dangled helplessly off the floor, his eyes wide with surprise.

?I assure you I have spoken to no one about what is going on,? Qui-Gon said very clearly, shaking the man for emphasis. ?I left the suite as soon as I got your message and have been in these quarters for at least and hour. I don?t why Minister Marinou

11. Jaxx_w

Jaxx_w Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2004
    I knew you were updating this Master Noi. I read your replies and waited for this. I should be in bed! I-)

Another great post. Poor Obi. :(
    Poor Qui-Gon. I had conflicting feelings over his reaction. First it was 'Go Qui!' but then realised that he would be guilty about his anger. Which he was. He cares so deeply for Obi-Wan but he is just so helpless. Maybe he should meditate a bit more like Macres suggested to help calm himself. :( Poor thing

12. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Whooo! Go Qui-Gon !

I really felt for the guy in this post. Poor man is under so much stress and I"m with him. how can the guy be so evil.. I can't wait for more!

13. Jedikma

Jedikma Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    Looks like Qui-Gon is on to something with his questions for Macres. ;)

Loved the way Qui slammed him against the wall. :D

Poor Obi--more drugs. ick!

Great post! :)

14. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Wow... Qui lost it there for a sec! Yay! *Ahem* I mean... umm not good Qui. hehehe He's juz worried about Obi and at the attrocity that the guy wants him to help do. *shakes head* ahhh politics, greed, and power all wrapped up. A shame really.

Oh no! If they continue to dose him...they could OD him or cause other bad things to happen :( poor Obi!

Great work!! :D

15. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Poor Qui :_| I can just see his wheels churning trying to figure out what is going on around him.

And poor Obi-Wan. I bet he's fighting it! :D They will have their hands full if the drug wears off. ;)

16. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Kynstar and I are thinking the same thing. Just ignore us Noi- don;t get any ideas...

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I had worried when Qui-Gon slammed Macres into the wall. I was almost surprised when the criminal showed some compassion for the Jedi Master's predicament. I liked that Qui-Gon tried to get an understanding into the why he was attempting to kill his supposed friend. Oh dear, poor Obi-Wan might not survive this. :( :(

18. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    I like this version of Jinn. :)

19. Opal

Opal Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2003
    Wow, Noi! You got o_e to like your Jinn? Perhaps she's been hangin' in the bars with Obi and meant that she liked the gin.

20. Jaxx_w

Jaxx_w Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2004
    [face_laugh] Opal! Your comment made me laugh.

21. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
    :p Yes you! lol but it is well worth the lessons she is giving you :D

Another nice chapter Noi, I like it that Jinn lost control for a bit... not so iron in his control

:eek: poor Obi! Keep fighting but be careful - those drugs are dangerous.

22. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Jaxx_w ? Thanks for waiting up for me to post. :p Yeah, Qui is going through a tough time right now.

Layren ? Even a Jedi can only put up with so much. And with a guy like Macres in your face, ?

Jedikma ? I think he struck a nerve. I wonder if Macres is starting to think about what he?s got himself into.

Kynstar - ahhh politics, greed, and power all wrapped up, and where you find those, there is always trouble.

tangled_sphere ? I know, poor Qui. It really is horrible to not know what?s going on and to be so out of control of the situation. [face_devil] I bet he's fighting it! We will get back to Obi soon.

Kitara ? [face_mischief] ? I really love this face.

Healer_Leona ? Qui-Gon really wants to understand what?s going on here. And yes, things don?t look so good for Obi right now.

o_e ? Wow! High praise indeed. :) Forget winter awards, I got o_e to like my Jinn. :p

Opal ? [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] ? That made my day!

Sis - The problem about losing control is that he felt really bad about it afterward. ;) Poor Obi. :(

23. Master_Noi

Sep 8, 2004
    Announcement

I am leaving to go back home to the US for Christmas tommorrow for 5 weeks!! :) Don't worry, I will NOT leave everyone hanging for 5 weeks, but because of travelling will only be able to guarantee one post a week. Now for an update...

Chapter 14

Qui-Gon leaned over the balcony of the guest quarters gazing down at the finely sculpted gardens below, a taunting reminder than he was in fact a prisoner, confined to his room. The late afternoon sun shone down; already beginning it?s descent in the sky, bringing him yet closer to his ultimatum.

It troubled him that he had lashed out at Macres. He had not doubt that Macres would have harmed Obi-Wan if he hadn?t stopped him, but it was no excuse for losing control.

He had given much thought to Advisor Macres?s reaction. The small amount of conversation he had with Chief Sitara should not have been so upsetting; suggesting that Macres didn?t know what had really gone on in the dining room. It was highly likely that Sitara did not work for Macres, but Qui-Gon couldn?t be sure. It made sense that if Macres had no ?eyes and ears? in the dining room, he would be upset about dinner plans that excluded him. All Qui-Gon sensed during meditation was that the Force was telling him to be patient.

He heard a chiming at the door and walked backed into the sitting room. Standing in the hallway was a very subdued Lady Marinou. She was looking down, her hands clasped loosely in front of her.

?Lady Marinou.?

?Master Jinn, may I come in?? she asked looking up.

Qui-Gon began to ask her to leave, not wanting Macres to think he was trying to cause any more trouble. Something about the anxiety he sensed in her made him pause for a moment.

?I really need to talk to you,? she pleaded.

?Please have a seat,? Qui-Gon answered reluctantly, motioning to the sofa.

Lady Marinou allowed her eyes to wander from Qui-Gon back to the room she knew to be Obi-Wan?s.

?Is your apprentice in?? she said as she made her way to the sofa.

?No, I?m afraid not.? Qui-Gon replied taking a seat in the armchair.

Lady Marinou was again looking down at her hands resting in her lap. She began to speak, nervously stumbling over words.

?I must apologize Master Jinn. I am afraid that your apprentice?s reluctance to join us may be because I have made him ? uncomfortable.?

Qui-Gon sighed inwardly. The last thing he wanted to deal with was Lady Marinou?s apparent obsession with his apprentice.

?He is accustomed to others being fascinated with Jedi??

?Master Jinn, you do not have to be polite,? she interrupted. ?I am sure you are as shocked by my behavior as he was.?

?Lady Marinou, I would rather not ??

?He is a fascinating and attractive young man, and I really don?t know what came over me.?

Qui-Gon remained silent, realizing the discussion was difficult. A few moments passed.

?Athan enjoyed talking with him the other night. It would be good for him to get to talk with him some more. He misses his students terribly,? she said, finally looking up.

?Students?? Qui-gon asked.

?Yes, he used to teach history here at the main university in Nera.?

?Going from professor to politician is quite a change,? Qui-Gon said genuinely surprised.

?Oh, you have no idea,? Phedra said sighing deeply.

?How did he come to that decision??

?He came home from an afternoon lecture and I could tell something was bothering him. He said that he was having a hard time teaching bright young minds about the past when he felt, they had no future ? and, that he could do something about it. It was hard to argue with him,? she said smiling slightly.

Qui-Gon noticed a change in her countenance. The poised, confident exterior he had seen over the past couple of days dissolved leaving vulnerability about her.

?You don?t sound as though you were happy with his decision.?

?My uncle was in Legislature when I was younger. I remembered the toll it took on his family.?

?I am sure it was an adjustment,? Qui-gon

24. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ahh now we get the scope of the 'man' now. And a lil more about her too. This was great! Loved the emotional tension there! Great job!

25. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
    Ohhhhhh - nice background info Noi. I like the sympathetic side that Jinn shows here. Gives humanity to his stoic Jedi :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.