main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Enemy Mine

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Obi-Wan2001, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    ILM did the fx for this underrated, sci-fi flick, so let's talk about it here.

Ok, where to start. This film, starring Dennis Quaid and Louis Gosset Jr. was directed by Wolfgang Petersen. This impressive director's work includes Das Boot, The Neverending Story, In the Line of Fire, Outbreak, Air Force One, The Perfect Storm, and the underrated, Shattered. He brings out some amazing performances here.

IMO, Louis Gosset Jr, should have been nominated for an oscar for his performance as 'Jerry' the Drac. The make-up job for this Draconian alien is very impressive. Dennis Quaid is solid as Willis Davidge. When the two crash-land on a planet trying to shoot each other down, they end up forming an unlikely friendship and a strong bond. The events that ensue can be quite moving.

I know this movie isn't for everyone. Some people think it's way too slow, others think it falls apart in the third act. But I always dug this movie. So, any other fans out there? Let's hear from you.

2. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Good flick. Excellent FX for its time and some very good acting for a sci-fi film. I do, however, think the movie bogged down a bit in the last part, degenerating into a typical action-flim. Still, I think it's a pretty soild movie and entertaining and worth a look!

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yes, I also enjoyed this movie. I first saw it flipping though the channels at 2AM and I got hooked on it. I wish I could see it a bit more...but AMC doesn't show it too often.

4. Darth_Angelus

Darth_Angelus Jedi Master star 3

Dec 18, 2001
    Is there already a DVD out?

5. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Yes, Darth Angelus. It is out on DVD. :) I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm going to soon.

6. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Louis Gossett Jr. does a great job, as does Quaid. There's even a small part by "Leon" from "Blade Runner" for sci-fi fans.

Gossett does a great job playing a...parent. ;) And I really enjoyed little moments like the football game.

It's interesting to think about, but I wonder if a movie like that would have a chance to be made by a major studio today. They would probably feel the need to add a mundane rap/rock soundtrack, tons of pointless action scenes, and explosions, and cut down on the characterization. It's a nice little film about friendship and overcoming predjudice and despite a bit of a forumlaic ending, it's solid and moving stuff!

7. Obi-Wan2001

Sep 6, 2001
    Right on, ferelwookie. Glad to see the support.

Here's the movie's tagline:

Enemies because they were taught to be. Allies because they had to be. Brothers because they dared to be.

8. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    It was a good movie, rates up there with those movies with "YOU AND YOUR MICKEY MOUSE!"

;)

9. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    i liked that movie too a littl long but it gets the point across.

10. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It's a cool movie...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.