main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Engage! The Star Trek: TNG General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Constant_shadow, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Maybe so...but Jellico wasn't looking for overachievers...he was looking for task efficiency...if everyone did their job to the letter, they would succeed.

Is it going to bring about goodwill and genuine selfless effort? Perhaps not...but perhaps it's not always best to have a crew thinking outside the box while at battle stations.

There have been several "jerk" commanders over the centuries...they also tend to be some of the most successful commanders...their men may not take a bullet for them...but they will do their jobs knowing they could catch one from him if they don't.

And the Troi "sense" doesn't mean his ineffective, it just means he chooses to hide his weaknesses rather then use them to bond with his crew...even Picard doesn't give it all away...as this episodes makes very clear.

In the end, I don't think many people would willingly choose to serve under a man like Jellico...but those how have done so must begrudge him respect, if not appreciation,depending on what they came through.

2. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Agreed. I remember thinking that Jellico was the most abrasive Starfleet commander I'd ever seen. I think the crew breathed a sigh of relief when Picard was reinstated.

3. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    This is a silly question but I must ask: There is an episode with a space creature named "Mag ellum"sp. It is an early series episode and towards the end of the show this creature shows his face(most of the face is grayed out except the eyes and mouth) and wants to exterminate a 1/3 of the crew to satisifiy his curosity of human death. Anyway my question is this: Does anyone know if that is Patrick Stewarts face used as the creature?

4. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Nagilum

interest stuff...but not Stewart.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, yes, Giant Space Face #327 ;)

The episode was "Where Silence Has Lease", in early Season 2.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, interesting, Nagilum was played by Sarah Connor's shrink. :p

7. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Just went to that link above. Thanks for that! Wow granted the face was distorted but Nagilum didn't look anything like Conner's shrink!! I just saw that episode on Sci-Fi a few weeks ago and I could have swore it was Stewart.

I remember the first time I watched that episode when it was new in the 80's and I could hardly look at the face I was so scared of it!!!!! lol

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    To maintain consistency without disrupting the previous discussion by eidting my last episode post, I'll just throw this note in here by itself:

Up next: TNG 612: Ship in a Bottle & TNG 613: Aquiel

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/9/9e/Professor_James_Moriarty.jpg] [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/2/2e/An_attempt_to_transport_a_holomatter_chair.jpg] [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/9/95/Detrian_star.jpg]
    TNG 612: Ship in a Bottle
    -Premise: Professor Moriarty returns, only this time he gains control of the Enterprise in his quest to leave the holodeck.

-T2Q Comments: Holmes and Barclay in one episode? Goodness can only ensue.

"Policemen- I'd recognize them in any century."

Countess is played by the first doctor on seaQuest DSV. "Computer- end program!" love Barclay's paranoia- and the production crew was right (when debating whether to include Barclay in the episode- only he could have made that line work perfectly).

Not much to comment on- I've been looking forward to this episode for awhile- I remember it quite fondly. To this day when i think of Daniel Davis I think of Moriarty first, the Nanny butler second ;)

Even though the delay in bringing back Moriarty had to do with real-life copyright issues, it almost makes it feel like the show has hit it's "SG-1 point" where it's lengthy run as a series permits it the luxary of further exploring and development past, lingering plot threads.

After a fashion it's slightly disappointing that Moriarty was turned slightly villainous here after the reasoned conclusion to his actions in Elementary, Dear Data, but this was still a great episode, one of my all time favorites.

Though I gotta wonder- at the end they say the device Moriarty is plugged into has enough resources to provide a "lifetime" of experiences...so, does that mean they intend for them to die within the program or for the device to delete them (essentially setting a date for their execution), or allow the ruse to be revealed? Anyways, Definitely Essential.

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/b/b6/Aquiel_Uhnari.jpg]
    TNG 613: Aquiel
    -Premise: La Forge falls in love with a woman accused of murder.

-T2Q Comments: Hasn't been a Klingon raid against the Federation in 7 years? So what was happening 1 year before the series started?

I think this chick is half human, half Devaronian. ;)

Picard namedropping some grease into the works- and the sound that grease makes when it hits? Ka-plah! :D

Up until the Klingon arrival this was shaping up to be a decent mystery episode, but now it's taken a turn into something different. I wonder if Geordi will ever meet a girl whom he hasn't already gotten to know well before hand through records? Geordi picks a weird time to get close to her after she acts so suspiciously.

It's like 24th century silly putty. "It is possible he was the one who was...absorbed" I can't help myself- "You will be absorbed!".

I think they made it a bit obvious having the dog in the room when they're talking about suspects. The screen Geordi is using to display the duty roster is hella-inconvienent for a sitting position- talk about neck pains.

Not terrible, but not necessarily good either- I'll say Average. I'd actually be curious to see what this episode could have become if it had stuck to the murder mystery and not brought the chick in as being alive.

Trivia: This was another attempt at giving Geordi a recurring romanctic interest (after Gomez in Best of Both Worlds) Apparently this was considered to be the weakest of the sixth season, and that Moore named writing this episode as something he would have done differently during his time on Star Trek. The organism also didn't get the intended look, due to be subcontracted out and not deliivered in time for the needed touch-ups and textures, and that "Mr Peanut" was probably "the kindest" name given to the creature.

Up next: TNG 614: Face of the Enemy & TNG 615: Tapestry

10. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    If I recall correctly, Picard says something about "they will live out their lives and never know..."

I'm assuming that while Moriarty had some bizarre form of consciousness, he wasn't beyond being meddled with at the programing level...they probably established a termination date...probably die together...perhaps in an accident to coincide with the memory capacity or battery life of the unit.

It's kind of a stretch, but who knows.

I remember when I watched the Voyager episodes with Barclay...I wondered if they'd have the memory cell in the background somewhere...it was his charge.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Still, it does seem odd for the Federation to artificially introduce a termination point into a lifeform (if they consider Moriarty as such).

12. Jedimarine

Feb 13, 2001
    But...But...they gave him a full life? They graciously bestowed upon him a lifetime of experiences...surely they've granted him more of a life then he would have otherwise without them? :)

Ah...the morality of superhumanity...never looking beyond the end of the episode.

That's what I love about Khan! Moriarty is kind of like the TNG Khan...could have been again!

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ironically, I think if Moriarty ever did discover the ruse and managed to somehow free himself...he'd become as bad, if not worse than, the supervillain he was originally programmed to emulate. As you say- a TNG Khan.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/4/44/Rakal.jpg]
    TNG 614: Face of the Enemy
    -Premise: Troi is captured and forced to masquerade as a Romulan intelligence officer in a plot to aid the defection of several high-ranking Romulan officials.

-T2Q Comments: Unfortunately, the "big shock" of Deanna as a Romulan is quite obvious from the moment we catch a glimpse of the uniform, even in darkness.

Ah, this Romulan is played by the same actress who notifies Sheridan of the scorched-Earth situation on B5. Why does a counselor know starfleet codes for border mines and sensors?

The Romulan commander's words of "I think it will be your kind that will be the death of us all" is actually quite prophetic given the events of Countdown/Star Trek 11.

Much to the episode's credit- even after Deanna is beamed back on board, I still felt like she was in plausible danger, as if the Romulans had anticipated the action and had a contingency, though, obviously, we see now they didn't.

Excellent episode, one that continues aspects of the Spock/Romulan/Unification plotline (though this is apparently the last episode/movie to do so, outside of the allusions in ST11). Definitely Essential.

Trivia: Originally, Crusher was going to be the one kidnapped, but this was changed after they realized Deanna's abilities would be more suited to espionage. This was the second attempt at a Hunt for Red October-style story, after a previous pitch was rejected by Berman. The Romulan Commander's casting was initially suggedted to be the same actress and character from TOS: The Enterprise Incident, but she wasn't available. At one point, they even played with the idea of killing Spock offscreen in this episode before coming to their senses. The Tal Shiar are named as an homage to the Vulcan martial arts technique from TOS: Journey to Babel, tal-shaya. Debut of Worf's ponytail.

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/b/b6/Picard_in_tapestry.jpg] [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/9/96/Jean-Luc_Picard_stabbed.jpg]
    TNG 615: Tapestry
    -Premise: After being attacked on an away mission, Picard dies and meets Q in the afterlife. Q offers Picard the chance to change a crucial moment in his history, prevent mistakes he made in life, but Picard learns that those mistakes are what made him who he is.

-T2Q Comments: So, I'm guessing Q's disappointment or surprise in Sisko's reaction to him, which made him think of/recall Picard, inspired him to go visit Picard... they do a good job of making Picard's father look similar enough to his brother.

The kid from The Rescue!

"Penny for your thoughts"

They make the Nausicans a bit too outright villanous, having them go "muhahahaha!" a couple times. The age difference makes the romance situation a bit weird from an out of universe perspective.

Picard's little pulling up of the sheet looks weirdly feminine in an unintentionally humorous way during an intentionally humorous moment with Q.

Bit of a It's a Wonderful Life theme overall, with a dash of psuedo-timetravel. Great episode, though. Definitely Essential- of course now I gotta reconsider The Samaritan Snare a bit.

Trivia: originally this was to be more of a A Christimas Carol in nature, showing several moments from Picard's life, including the Stargazer and Jack Crusher, etc

Up next: TNG 616 & 617: Birthright, Parts I & II.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    No Q, I refuse to believe that YOU are God. The universe isn't as badly designed as that. :p

16. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I've commented more at length on Tapestry in the "Best Moments in Sci-Fi" thread.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/6/66/Galaxy_class_docked_at_DS9.jpg] [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/f/f5/BashirData.jpg]
    TNG 616: Birthright, Part I
    -Premise: At Deep Space 9, Worf investigates reports that his father is still alive; an engineering accident causes Data to experience a vision of Dr. Soong.

-T2Q Comments: Crossover! Interesting that they would do one so soon into the new show's run after essentially having part of one in Emissary. Worf's first appearance on DS9 also. The guy's name is Shrek- and he's voiced by Cochrane Bauer!, ha!

Interesting that this sees a contnuation of both the Worf/father plotline and Soong- I'm also liking Bahsir's interactions with Data. Morn and Zhaan?

Interesting end, though not particularly edge of your seat cliffhanger.

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/3/38/Carraya_IV_surface.jpg]
    TNG 617: Birthright, Part II
    -Premise: In the Romulan prison camp, Worf teaches the Klingon children about their culture.

-T2Q Comments: The halfbreed chick reminds me of Hilary Swank almost. The one guy ponders about Romulans and Klingons working together being unheard of- but didn't they basically do that in that TOS epiosde (albeit as an excuse to reuse model effects hots)? Worf falling in love with this chick seems a bit quick.

Solid episode, though really Klingon heavy and oddly lacking followup to part 1's plotline with Data. Definitely Essential.

Trivia: Shrek's role was reduced in part 2 due to James Cromwell breaking his leg between episode shoots- resulting in the deletion of the character confessing he was once an inmate, as well as his death at the hands of a grown son of one of the Klingons there, determined not hear the truth of his father.

Up next: TNG 618: Starship Mine & TNG 619: Lessons.

18. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Is Sisko in these?

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Nope- the only crossover character is bashir, and the DS9 stuff is only in the first part.

They originally were going to use Dax, but she was busy filming a DS9 episode.

20. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Quark's also in this crossover, isn't he? I seem to recall he strikes some sort of deal with Riker.

21. General_Kor

General_Kor Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2004
    No, I believe that was actually a later episode. Quark does not appear in Birthright.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, there's another crossover with Quark later on in TNG.

23. goraq

goraq Jedi Youngling star 4

May 15, 2008
    Thanks.

24. Obi Wan Bergkamp

Obi Wan Bergkamp Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 1998
    I know this is from a few pages ago, but the episode was on Bravo the other day, and I noticed a blooper.

Troi is wearing the grey catsuit at the beginning of the episode, until she is sent to work on the language with Data. She wears red from then on, until the final bridge scenes when it's back to grey.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I forget the exact order of events, but the episode takes place over at least two days- so perhaps she just changed her uniform? (which would mean it's not a blooper, just a good eye for detail by the wardrobe continuity folk).