main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Engage! The Star Trek: TNG General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Constant_shadow, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Except, hands down the greatest episode was "The Inner Light". The entire episode was just so beautifully done, and Patrick Stewart did such a marvellous job at living a different life in that episode.

Kimball Kinnison

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I still say Best of both Worlds are TNG's finest hours, for the simple reason, the aftereffects still resonate within Picard at least through the events of First Contact. The assimilation by the Borg so shake Picard that he returns home immediately after in Reunion and contemplates retirement. We're introduced to Picard's family in Reunion and are referenced again by their deaths in Generations. Picard's experience with the borg is a common thread throughout the ship's Borg encounters for the rest of the series and even shows Picard with a touch of PTSD in First Contact with his zealous quest to destory the Borg at all costs (Which we also see a touch of in I, Borg ).

This makes me believe that Best of Both Worlds are the greatest episodes of TNG's run.

3. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    i thought it was out of character and really forced the way they made picard want to seak vengeance against the borg since we saw him kind of get over it in both 'family' and 'i borg'. nemesis couldve been great except it was too much a retread of wrath of khan and also seemed out of character for a next gen movie. you can disagee with me all you want but thats how i feal

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I won't fault you for your opinion (it is a free Internet), but I will disagree.

I don't personally believe it was out of character for Picard to want vengeance against the collective as a whole Family was more about Picard letting go of his self - hatred and guilt for the Borg using him IMO. Maybe he felt he had gotten rid of the hatred towards the Borg, but I felt that it was more about Picard releasing his insecurities and come to terms with himself and his role in the events that nearly anhilated Earth before he could resume any command, let alone the Enterprise.

I, Borg focused on a single Borg who was starting to act beyond what the Borg programmed into him. Say what you will, but it's easier to thirst for the blood of an entire race than to face a potential victim of your vengeance that has a name, thoughts, feelings, etc.,. Once confronted with Hugh, Picard could no more sentence him to death than he could say Data, in season 2's Measure of a Man.. Decent 1 $ 2 dealt with a whole group of Borg acting out of character right down to the design of their ship. One could even argue that once Lore was revealed as the puppet master behind these borg and Data's own strange behavior, that it took whatever residual hatred Picard may have had for the borg and was set aside to allow Picard to focus on saving Data from his own Brother.

Quite honestly, I don't think Picard ever truly even begin to deal with the heart of his anger towards the borg until "First Contact." Picard strikes me as a very private individual, letting only a few see his vulernable side, rarely allowing others to see him even cry. I would have my doubts that he would seriously open up to Troi about his experiences with the Collective and admit to any anger or hatred towards them, especially with the borg (for the most part) far away from anything remotely resembling the Federation up until First Contact. First Contact, I feel is the first time that Jean Luc really truly taps and gives release to his anger that has quite frankly has had over half a decade to perculate and simmer inside the Captain. It is only after his confrontation with Libby and the destroying of the ship display case that he realizes he might be going too far with his vengeance and giving into obsession in regard to the Borg.

My 2 cents.

5. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    Me too. :(

6. battlewars

Mar 5, 2005
    JULIET 316 you make a good point however i always felt that it was out of character for picard. he was such a moral center to not just the enterprise but what gene roddenberry was talking about with the whole idea of star trek. he almost seemed to be speaking for roddenberry. in the original script for 'first contact' it was riker who battled the borg on the ship and picard was on the planet and there was no mention of picards hatred of the borg. all this vengeance stuff reeks of box office rather than something organic to what the character would really feel. i thought the truest representation of picard in the movies was in 'insurrection' even though i found it lacking because all the action in it felt forced

7. JediVegeta

JediVegeta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    How long has this board been here? Just found it!

But yes. TNG has and ever will be my favorite Star Trek. Deep Space 9 was alright, but lacked the coolness of TNG...it had no Data for one [face_love] (loved Data!!).
    It was a great series and I remember being so sad about it being cancelled! Enterprise had some promise, but nope. TNG all the way! Glad this thread it here! :)

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Strangely enough, that exchange between Q & Picard in Tapestry got me to think about my own life and my own regrets. It reminded me that if it weren't for my past mistakes, I wouldn't be who I am today. And since I like who I am, I learned to forgive myself.

That, and Spock saying "Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Lt. Valeris. Not the end."

Spock says it! :eek:

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Now now, TNG has provided us with some great moments... however for me, it has also provided one of the most unintentionally silly moments of sci-fi TV - the season one episode:

'Justice'

Oh you know the one... let's run everywhere, get all hot and sweaty, and then spend the rest of our time relaxing in a world brimming with 'love, health and sensual pleasure'. o_O It's like the fantasy world of Krusty the Clown. Everytime I see Riker and Worf's reaction their their customs I laugh. :D

Classic exchange:
    Riker: Others would like to visit here too. If you'll tell us what limits you'd place on the number...

Liator: Whatever pleases you. We can discuss it at the Council Chambers.

Rivan: (to Riker) Shall we go there now or remain and play?

Riker: Play?

Rivan: At love. Unless you don't enjoy that.

(to Worf)

Perhaps you do?

Liator: (to Troi) And you? Yes, I can see that you do.
    Now that's some great dialogue right there. :D :cool:

10. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I can never pick a favourite episode, but I'll just say some of my favourites: "Sarek" "Family" "Unification (1&2)" "The Wounded" and "Chian of Command (1&2)"

Nevermind, "Family" is my favourite. After Robert starts verbaly beating Jean-Luc, after they've wrestling in the mud, Picard just lets his emotions out and starts crying, that was a powerful scene. And then Robert's wife walks into a mud covered house and we see the two Picards drinking and truely enjoying each other's company. Wesley's massage from his father was nice, but watching Worf interact with his parents was very touching. The scene where Guinan tells the Rozhenkos that Worf isn't looking for Q'onoS among the stars, that he's looking for Earth is a perfect explanation of Worf's character. For all the interactions and interplay we've watched Worf have with other Klingons, all the desires he has to be with them, he has a home on Earth and he knows it, and that is where his heart lies.

11. Ace_Venom

Ace_Venom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    I enjoyed TNG as a kid, but when I got back to the series as an adult after watching all of TOS, the series didn't hold up as much for me anymore. I did enjoy some of the episodes the second time around. I just felt others were a waste of time. Then when I found out some of the story elements that were supposed to go into Star Trek: Phase Two ended up in ST: TMP and were also used in TNG, I began to wonder about the creative laziness of writers.

Of course, I'm not one of those that says TOS is the only Trek. To me, TOS is just superior to what came after it.

12. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    I don't think I have a favorite episode now, but I know when my brother and I were kids, we loved the one episode my mom ever kept on tape: Trouble with Tribbles.

13. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I agree, KK. While "Yesterday's Enterpirse" is great - probably top five - "The Inner Light" is the best single TNG episode. Very few television episodes can bring a tear to the eye like that one does. A top-notch performance by Patrick Stewart. It's hard to compare the double/cliffhanger episodes. I still maintain that "The Best Of Both Worlds" is the best cliffhanger episode in all of television.

I watched that episode recently, and I think it may be the funniest line ever from a SFF television show.

I have managed to buy all seven season of TNG on dvd (most for about $99 on Amazon or eBay). I've been watching the series all the way through, and I'm on Season Five now. It was so cool to have a new TNG episode to have each week. I miss that.

14. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Star Trek: TNG. In my opinion, one of the best TV shows made in a long time.

Not just sci-fi, but TV shows period.

My favorite episode? BOBW parts 1 and 2. Tell me you didn't get a chill down your spine as the Enterprise flew through Wolf 359 and the graveyard, or Picard as Locutus.

The Borg were one of the best villians made back then.

15. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    Yeah. That was the first Star Trek episode I saw; way back before I became a fan of either ST or SW. It kinda got the ball rolling for my love of sci-fi. What really struck me was when Locutus called Riker "Number One" on the viewscreen. At that point, I knew that there was still good in him.

Edit: The Borg were good villains for the same reason Darth Vader was a good villain.

16. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    TNG is my favorite series ever.

I love the ensemble. Those people are like a second family to me. I have spent my childhood and my youth "with" them, and they tought me so much about literature, history and human nature.

The stories and characters helped me to become the man I am today.

I miss them, and I hope for another reunion in the rumored TREK XI.

17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I concur that Best of Both Worlds was possibly the best cliffhanger in TV.

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    'Mr. Worf, fire...'

Oh, yeah. Was Picard gonna bite it? Would Shelby move in?

19. Kinobe

Kinobe Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2003
    General Kenobi posted:
    I agree, KK. While "Yesterday's Enterpirse" is great - probably top five - "The Inner Light" is the best single TNG episode. Very few television episodes can bring a tear to the eye like that one does. A top-notch performance by Patrick Stewart. [hr][/blockquote]I agree too. While TNG isn't my favourite Trek series (that's DS9), The Inner Light's probably my all time favourite Trek episode. Well written, very well acted, pretty cool that Patrick Stewart's real life son makes an appearance as Kamin's son too.

20. battlewars

Mar 5, 2005
    why cant they come back in some tv movies? there we could at least get some character exploration again like in the series and not rely on lame khan like villains

21. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    I never can find it but there was a whole book on management called either "Engage" or "Make it so".

A Picard way to manage people. [face_laugh]

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, he was a damned fine captain. I'd work for him.

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    When Picard was doing his silent angry bit, I was intimidated myself. :D

24. Constant_shadow

Constant_shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    "Shut up Wesley!" :p

25. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004