main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Engage! The Star Trek: TNG General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Constant_shadow, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I've just realised the one thing that no TNG thread could be complete without...

Data's Poetry. :D [face_dancing] - taken from the episode Schisms.

Title Unknown

Then we sat on the sand for some time and observed
    How the oceans that cover this world were perturbed
    By the tides from the orbiting moon overhead
    'How relaxing the sound of the waves is,' you said.

I began to expound upon tidal effects
    When you told me to stop, looking somewhat perplexed
    So I did not explain why the sunset turned red
    And we watched the occurrence in silence instead.

and of course the all time classic...

Ode To Spot

Felis Cattus, is your taxonomic nomenclature,
    an endothermic quadruped carnivorous by nature?
    Your visual, olfactory and auditory senses
    contribute to your hunting skills, and natural defenses.

I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
    a singular development of cat communications
    that obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
    for a rhythmic stroking of your fur, to demonstrate affection.

A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
    you would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
    And when not being utilized to aide in locomotion,
    it often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.

O Spot, the complex levels of behaviour you display
    connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
    And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
    I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

Now I don't know about you, but as a cat owner, this poem really gets to me. It may not appear (at first) to be the most heartfelt of compositions, but by the end I get quite emotional. Data's inability to spot emotion has, inadvertantly, managed to pinpoint a very true emotion that I feel for my cats. Often Data's quest to become a human and emulate humanity leads him down some ill-advised and confusing paths... but other times the fact that his mind isn't clouded by that which clouds our minds can see him slice right through to the meat of the matter. I think it's a wonderful scene.

2. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    It's interesting... because it certainly seems like Data is indeed feeling emotion toward the cat, just by virtue of the fact that he's chosen to come up with an Ode to Spot. He obviously feels attachment...

And one thing I couldn't get; throughout everything, Data always seemed to feel friendship and concern for the rest of his crewmates. Wouldn't that qualify as some form of emotion?

3. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I often think (to begin with at least) he is acting in a manner he has observed as 'human'.

4. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    Oh those poems are awesome...

I agree that "The Inner Light" is one of the best episodes, but if I had to choose one episode which represents TREK the best, it would be: "Darmok".
    It is classical STAR TREK: Humans meet new species, and learn to talk with them while working together.

5. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I love TNG!!! It's the only Star Trek I ever really watched. I've been wanting to see this episode from the first season again...I don't remember what it's called...but the crew had contracted this disease that made everyone drunk or something. I especially like it as Data was hilarious in it.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's titled the Naked Now. It was a remake from TOS original episode.

7. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Speaking of Darmok, I found this attempt at a Darmok Dictionary on a web archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050307080131/http://www.chaparraltree.com/sflang/darmok.shtml

It's quite good really. :)

8. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    This one if great Everton!!!

Thanks a lot.

Patrick Stewart mentioned recently (again) that he is in talks for the next TREK film.

I would love to see another family reunion in TREK XI!

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    That was a great episode. 'Picard and Dathon at El Adrel.' They spoke in metaphors! Brilliant!

10. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I love Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation is my favourite series and here's the crew.

[image=http://sfon.tv/Television/S/Star_Trek/Star_Trek_TNG/Images/STTNG_Enterprise_Crew.jpg]

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I'd say that was from the 5th or 6th season.

12. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Does anyone else think that the NG cast were better actors but didn't translate well to the big screen, and that the TOS were inferior actors but just had a charisma and screen prescense (sp) that fit the big screen very well. I think it's kinda of a wierd dynamic to me.

I liked TNG very much; not as much as TOS, but very close. I thought the earlier episodes were good..Seasons 1-3; but then I kinda felt it got a little too serious for itself. I kinda got lost in some of the episodes. One of my favorites is (and I won't get this right) but it's
    101110011 hehe.. or something like that. 1st season when the binars steal the enterprise. I always liked "Cause and Effect" also.

13. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I hope they can work things out for a new film. My dreams of another spin-off TV series for TNG died a long while ago.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    First Contact translated the crew just fine onto the big screen. It was brilliantly done, and remains one of TNG's finest moments. Why they followed it up with such duds is beyond me. It staggers me to think that this November marks ten years since First Contact was released.

15. Jesina_Dreis

Jesina_Dreis Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    Thank you, KW, for making me feel old :p

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Oh, I saw that movie in the theaters...

My second favorite ST movie, but my favorite TNG movie. 'The line must be drawn here! This far, and no farther!'

And that opening battle between Starfleet and the cube... Damn!

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    So which of TNG's two part episodes do you think is the best, and which is your favourite?

Season One:

Encounter at Farpoint

Season Three / Four:

The Best of Both Worlds

Season Four / Five:

Redemption

Season Five:

Unification

Season Five / Six:

Time's Arrow

Season Six:

Chain of Command
    Birthright

Season Six / Seven:

Descent

Season Seven:

Gambit
    All Good Things...

I'd say that Chain of Command is my favourite, and The Best of Both Worlds is the best.

18. Qkey

Qkey Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 14, 2005
    Not all Q are as bad a the Q who bothers the Enterpise and her crew.

19. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    It's so hard to believe it's been so long since First Contact. That was a fantastic stand-out in the film series. It held the feeling of the series very well through out the film. The only one to come close in my book was Insurrection.

My favorite season cliffhanger was The Best of Both Worlds. That stands out as one of my favorites of the entire show. It was such a shock to see Picard on the viewer as a Borg, and then you hear the order by Riker to Worf to fire.

That was one heck of a long summer to the next season. :p

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Has it seriously been almost ten (in November) years since First Contact came out in theaters? I remember seeing that with my High School Sci - Fi club and I thought it was one of the best Trek films I had seen up to that point.

I think part of my enjoyment of that film was the throughline that harkened back to Best of Both Worlds. I always thought Picard adjusted wayyy too easily after those episodes (Reunion and I,Borg nothwithstanding). I think from a psychological standpoint it was great that the script told the story of a man who still deals with the intense violation the borg forced upon him and the residual effects, including a connection to the Borg that Picard fights throughout the movie, almost to the point of near - annhilation of not only himself but his crew as well.

The story, both on Earth and on the Enterprise was enjoyable enough for me to suspend disbelief over certain elements like in the canon of Earth's First Contact (James Cromwell is a brilliant actor) and the change in social struction of the borg (the delieciously evil Borg Queen played by Alice Krieg).

Overall a brilliant film that unfortunately the two subsequent films were never able to match.

21. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    I was a big TNG fan back in the day, and I'm just really curious if they're planning on making any other movies? The last two were a bitter disappointment for me to be honest...I don't think I ever watched Nemesis once without falling asleep. I think that TNG should really be working hard at redeeming itself. Maybe I'm just being selfish cuz I want another ST movie...DS9 or Voyager would be cool also...

22. Rogan_Agar

Dec 1, 2004
    God... Ten years. Incredible.

I wonder how modern the movie still looks today. When you watched TREK IV in 1996 it looked old, eventhough it was just 10 years old.

I hope for a reunion with the best crew, of the best spaceship ever.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I last saw it, I think at least a year ago Rogan, and it still holds up pretty well. of course the ten year jump is not as severe on First Contact as it was on The Voyage Home (20 years since that film!) Primarily because while there is a great leap in tech today, there isn't a huge cultural leap from 10 years ago as there was from '86 (When The Voyage Home was released), and '96 (First Contact).

I think you could look at First Contact today and not see any age on it at all. I think that's primarily due to the storytelling and backdrop of the film as opposed to The Voyage Home, in which the bulk of that film took place in '86 (where a lot of it's age is noticable):)

I too hope for one last TNG film. They didn't deserve the send - off Nemisis gave them.

One thing on my wish list? BRING BACK DATA!!!!!!!:_| :_| :_|

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    No. They made the decision to kill Data, and even if one doesn't like the way he went (I happen to) to bring him back would devalue his death and devalue Nemesis even more.

25. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000

Chain of Command for both. Favourite, while naturally, even though I thought some of the staff were jerks toward Jellicon for no other reason than he wasn't Picard. The best? Heck yeah. Patrick Stewarts performance as Gul Madred tortures Picard was astoundingly powerful.