main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Engage! The Star Trek: TNG General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Constant_shadow, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah. Another reason why getting a proper 'actor' in the captain's role was far more of a boon than they realised when they initially hired him way back when.

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Jellico was a damned fine captain. He knew how to handle the Cardassians, and it's a shame the crew didn't get it.

As for Patrick Stewart... 'THERE...ARE...FOUR...LIGHTS!!!!!!!!' 'Nuff said.

3. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    Jellico reminded me a bit of John Wayne for some stupid reason. One of those characters I always wanted to see more of. There were quite a few TNG characters like that, guest, recurring or almost-regulars.

Oh, did Tasha Yar's funeral make anyone else in here cry?

4. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    No need to blacken that out. TNG is akin to an historical document in sci-fi. ;)

Her funeral was very touching, particularly what she said about Data. However if I had a couple of criticisms they'd be 1) that they hadn't used quite such a cheesy backdrop and 2) that she had been allowed to live through the first season and been taken out midway through season two. We didn't really get a good enough chance to know her IMO, and so her death wasn't as wrenching as it might well have been.

5. ZebulaNebula

Feb 10, 2005
    My brother is hypersensitive to spoilers(as in smacks me for spoiling an event 30 seconds before it happens onscreen), so I'm often overcautious with the blackout. And yeah, the backdrop was kinda cheesy; the Genesis planet woulda been cool, IMHO. And her dying in a season 2/3 cliffhanger would've been best. As would a more poignant end.

6. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Denise Crosby (Tasha) wanted out of the series quickly that's why it happened when it did of course she regretted quitting a couple of years later that's why she came up with Tasha's Romulan daughter idea after Yesterdays Enterprise.

7. TheProphetOfSullust

TheProphetOfSullust Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    That was Crosby's idea? I didn't know that. Source?

8. aPPmaSTer

aPPmaSTer Jedi Master star 3

Dec 23, 2004
    "No. They made the decision to kill Data, and even if one doesn't like the way he went (I happen to) to bring him back would devalue his death and devalue Nemesis even more."

I don't think it would have that effect at all because look at ST2: Spock dies but is resurrected in ST3, yet ST2 is regarded by many as one of the best Sci-fi movies of all time. I don't get what the point was of killing Data though. And the exectuion could have been a lot better too, like him giving some kind of last statement toward humanity or whatever before going to his doom.

9. ComicDiva

ComicDiva Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2004
    I never really cared for Tasha Yar, except in that eppie where we are presemted with a different timeline in which she's still alive and she willingly sacrifices herself. That was a good storyline, and even though she quit the show, I'm glad she is stil proud of being part of Star Trek lore.

My favourite episode is the Robin Hood one. It was just so silly. :)

Worf: Sir, I protest. I am NOT a merry man!

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I reckon the writers would've had an office party to celebrate when they came up with that line of dialogue. A true classic.

11. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Everton Denise Crosby talks about it on the season 5 DVD extras how she went to the producers with the idea you should check out the DVD extras I rented them from the net there's some interesting things on them.

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah I can rent TNG from my local rental shop. I might well do that. :cool:

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I'm missing season 4 from TNG, the one season I truly want. BOBT part 2! I can't find it anywhere around, and I don't trust online shopping, so I'm stuck.

14. ZebulaNebula

Feb 10, 2005
    If you know where to look, you can find old VHS copies for a buck or two. And Season 4 was my favorite, followed up closely by Season 7.

15. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I got a few of the seasons on eBay, the rest from Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Buying things online is great. Many of the sellers of used dvds on eBay are small dealers who have quite a bit of positive feedback, so your risk factor is very small.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

I own both parts of BOBW on VHS.:cool:

17. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    I may have already mentioned this, but it bears repeating:

I have ST:TNG on LASERDISC, baybee.

18. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    "No. They made the decision to kill Data, and even if one doesn't like the way he went (I happen to) to bring him back would devalue his death and devalue Nemesis even more. "

Haha, they didn't kill Data, they transferred him. They'd be too scared to make sucha bold move.

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes they transferred him, and on the surface they bottled out in the same way they bottled out with Kirk. But the message I get from Nemesis is that two beings can have the same building blocks but their differnet circumstances can forever make them different people. Shinzon could never become Picard, and B4 could never become Data. So whilst Data's memories and experiences are contained within B4, B4 himself cannot rise to the challenge of fulfilling them. He's a prototype, and so cannot deal with all of Data's being.

But that's only the way I see it. :(

Of course it's possible that B4 might suddenly become a 'child prodigy' and assimilate everything without a problem, but if they do decide to go that route I'll be most disappointed.

20. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    At most he'd be a Data who acts slightly different. it's very weak. But, that whole film was weak. Honestly, TNG is my favourite TV show of all time, and that film made me angry. It's the only one that ever has.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Insurrection?

I thought that was a disaster.

Plus, I'd reckon if they do decide to bring Data back it won't be in half measures.

22. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Yes, Insurrection. While watching it I was thinking...has this writer ever seen these characters before? I'd need to watch it again to really give examples, but I refuse to do so.

Oh, as as for favourite 2 parter, I'll go for "All Good Things..." It was perfect to me. The final scene, around the poker table still brings a lump to my throat.

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    In that scene I always wonder whether, when Picard says he was quite the card player in his youth, if Riker winks at another character (Troi or Geordi) or Jonathan Frakes winks at the audience.

24. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    a little from column a, a little from column b.

25. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    I believe my favorite Patrick Stewart Picard perpformance was in the pilot to DS9 where Picard gives Commander Sisko his orders and after sensing some animosity Picard asks Sisko if they've met before. Sisko says, "yes sir, in battle..." and we get to see the real impact the events of best of both worlds had for the captain.