main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Engage! The Star Trek: TNG General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Constant_shadow, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Constant_shadow

Constant_shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    Picards experience showed us a lot in the way of dealing with your past. Whenever they showed an episode or movie that brought up something to do with his borg experience, it really makes you think about your past and how you can't change it, so you have to move on.

Sounds silly, but it's true.

2. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    That doesn't sound silly, constant_shadow, but pretty profound, actually.

3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Yeah I agree it doesn't sound silly. Something Trek has always tried to do is use its stories to provoke thought on certain issues. Picard's experience with and thoughts on the Borg are very much designed to give the viewers food for thought.

Infact, quite often the self contained Trek episodes are, basically, simple morality plays dressed up in sci-fi clothing. TNG is the best of the Trek's for doing this.

4. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    Yeah, the borg experience was basically Picard getting raped. It was delt with nicely in the following episode (I forget the name, Picard returns home), which is almost part 3, in a sense.

5. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    'Family', is it? The one where Picard and his brother have that mud fight.

6. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Then the CRAP that Voyager is just stepped on it because Janeway, Torres and Tuvok got assimilated and then the next day they were fine that really PISSED ME OFF.

Anyway let's not talk about Voyager let's talk about Star Trek The Next Generation.

7. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Funny story: Our nickname for Sela (Denise Crosby's Romulan character) is "Pookie!" It comes from no less than Johnathan Frakes himself. He was the Guest of Honor at a local Star Trek convention. Funny guy, BTW! Anyway, the con takes place not long after the season finale that introduces her, and he says to the audience, "There was a character at the end of last season that might look familiar to some of you. That was Tasha's sister, Pookie Yar..."

8. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Another TNG film coming soon?

Interesting I should run across this today while surfing the web.
    We saw Jonathan Frakes at a Sci-Fi Expo a couple of months ago and asked him about another film & whether he would be involved in the directing/producing if there was one (as he has done such a good job previously).
    He said he would definitely like to be involved in the production of another ST film.

Guess we'll just have to hope they can get a good script & pull it all together within a decent timeline for it to actually happen. [face_praying]

9. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Yes, 'Family' is the one. It was a very different episode and a noce breather after BoBW.

10. Constant_shadow

Constant_shadow Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    The interaction with his brother was accurate as to the resentment a sibling might feel towards another if they live a different way and something bad happens. In my opinion.

11. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    The big brother "I told you so"?

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Reminds us all to touch base occasionally.

13. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I'm looking at getting a few seasons on DVD. I'm thinking that Season 3 would be a good starting point.

14. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    I'd concur.

15. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Seasons three through seven are my favorite Trek of all time, and thus making it some of my favorite TV of all time.

16. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Season 2 has some good stuff as well, including "Q Who". The season ended poorly, but the aforementioned episode is what really got the series going.

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The main problem with Season Two is Dr. Pulaski. She's horrid.

18. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    She's no Dr Crusher, that's for sure.

19. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    I concur with my blue friend. Pulaski is absolutely dreadful. The worst Trek Doctor ever. The worst cast member ever. Along with Harry 'I couldn't possibly be more bland' Kim.

20. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Luckily she didn't appear in any of the other seasons :p

One of my favourite episodes is the one when they find Scotty, not really high quality but its a fun episode.

21. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    Relics, I believe. I really wanted more with the dyson sphere. It's such an intriguing concept.

22. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    So what is the deal with pulaski?
    did they ever explain why she was on the ship, and Dr Crusher wasnt?
    i mean, isnt weasley still on board? where;s his mom?

23. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    She was workign on a space station somewhere. I guess the producers thought they needed a more Bones-like Doctor, that being more rough around the edges, but it failed and Beverly was back! Hurray!

Now I come to think of it, I think Gates may have been pregnant that year. Maybe that's why she was cut.

Edit: Nope, that can't be it. Her son was born in 91.

24. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    In-universe, Doctor Crusher was chief of Starfleet Medical for a year before returning to the Enterprise-D.

In real life... not quite sure.

25. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    My sister's currently TIVOing TNG off of Spike, I watched a few episodes last night transferring them to DVD last night from season 3 and had forgotten how dry and funny Worf is in this series. I do like how the cast on this show play really well off of each other and how they work well as a team. I can't wait to sit down and watch a ton of episodes together at once.