main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Engage! The Star Trek: TNG General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Constant_shadow, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    The Star Trek sets have sold really well despite the price.

2. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I have 1, 3, 6 and 7 of TNG. So that's little over half the season.

Oh, BOTW was on today. Both parts. Best Two-Parter ever, simply amazing. I remember watching this in syndication a few years ago, thought Shelby should've joined the crew. Seemed like they always need 1 more woman after Yar in Season 1.

3. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    ^^^^ yeah I watched it also. Good stuff.

you know...I always found it funny that Worf always talked a big game about being a warrior and all badass and all that..but he was constantly getting his ass kicked. Hehe. He is my least favorite character. I wish Denise Crosby had stayed on. That was a security chief I could actually buy.

4. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Really? Yar was psychotic! She cried and moaned and basically couldn't handle her job. Plus the actress was terrible.

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Elizabeth Dennehey would've pwned Yar as a suitable female replacement on TNG. Too bad it didn't happen.

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I most unexpectedly found my copy of the First Contact soundtrack tonight. I remember when I bought it. Still can't believe that it's been 10 years.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i wasn't a diehard fan of Star Trek TNG where i watched every new episode when it came out but i enjoyed the ones i watched. the movies were good to. Patrick Stewart and Jonathan Frakes were my favorite actors on the show

8. Takergirl316

Takergirl316 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 11, 2005
    Me neither KW, me neither.

9. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Worf was a fairly 'tame' Klingon. I believe he deliberately held back most of the time.

Although in BOBW part II, when he was having trouble with Locutus... all I could think of was 'It's Picard! Come on, I don't care how many enhancements he's got, being stalemeted by a Picard has gotta be embarrassing for him!'

And 10 years since First Contact... whoa. That space battle at the beginning was pretty damned cool.

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Ew, I really didn't like Tasha, almost as much as I didn't like Dr. Pulaski. Worf was much better. Gotta love that Klingon sense of humor. But his struggle between being a Klingon and a Starfleet officer was really interesting to watch, imo.

11. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    between a klingon and a starfleet officer? I don't remember that episode but did he lose that one too?

I didn't like Pulaski either.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I think what RebelScum77 is getting at is Worf's internal struggle between being a Klingon and being a starfleet officer. That is never more evident when first K'heylr is killed off and then he resigns to join Gowron in the Klingon Civil War.

One does wonder what would have happened if Picard hadn't accepted him back after the War was resolved.

13. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I can't believe that I have only just discovered this forum, let alone this thread!

Even though I am mostly more of a fan of DS9, I absolutley love TNG to bits, and grew up with the show. It was brilliant storytelling at it's finest. Sure, it took a few seasons to get moving - as any new series does, but when it got into full swing, it really flew like poop off a shovel!

I can't really say that I have a favourite episode as there are so many to choose from, The Measure of a Man from Season 2 was a great episode, as I thought was Pegasus, Lower Decks, and All Good Things. And of course, there is always The Best of Both Worlds.

I would like to meet Patrick Stewart and get his autograph. I've met William Shatner, and I'm meeting Avery Brooks next weekend, so that will be cool, but Patrick Stewart would be the icing on the cake! :D

14. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Did anyone like Pulaski, esp. after "Measure of a Man"? That episode solidified my dislike for her.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I never had a problem with Pulaski.

16. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    To me, Katherine Pulaski was like the female version of Leonard McCoy. Stubborn, headstrong, determined. I thought she was a good character, but it was obvious that they were trying to fill the void when Gates McFadden left the show...Which reminds me, why did she leave, and then return? :confused:

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think you hit it on the head, Ninja. Gene Roddenberry wanted a female version of McCoy and fired Gates and hired Diana Muldur to fill the role he wanted, which was somebody to be a verbal combatant to Picard. When the fans backlashed against it, Gates was rehired and Pulaski sent to parts unknown.

18. DeathStarZero

DeathStarZero Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I'm a huge fan of both TNG and TOS. I also like Voyager, but DS9 and Enterprise were just not as good in my opinion.

TNG was also the first Trek series I ever watched, so I've been quite attached to it ever since.

19. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    Just been looking at some of the responses here. For those of you in the UK who, like me, are still building up your TNG DVD collection. Don't buy the DVD's from Play.com anymore. The price has been hiked up to £57.99 per season for no apparent reason. Get them from the HMV instead. They're only £30.99 online, yet they're around 60 quid in store! That's a bargain! :D

20. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I believe Gates McFadden left the show for season 2 to have her baby.

21. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    However the fans backlashed against Pulaski because she was rubbish. Roddenberry may well have wanted a character like Bones, but Muldur just wasn't good enough. Bones was 'stubborn, headstrong, determined' in a very likeable way; you felt like you were on his side, could get behind him. You simply could not do that with Pulaski. She alienated, she annoyed, and got the fans backs up. Hence, she didn't last.

22. Happy Ninja

Mar 20, 2000
    I thought that she had a baby during Season 4 - in fact, if you look at the extras DVD, she talks about doing the episode The Host while being 7 months pregnant. I'd say they hid it pretty well. If I didn't look at the extras, I would have never had known.

I think she had a kid during season 5 as well...she looked very pregnant at the 25th Anniversary.

Must have been a baby factory in that household! :p

23. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    If they had to conceal her pregnancy they could easily have given her scenes at her desk in sickbay. :p

24. PadwanKayla

PadwanKayla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 2, 2005
    Loved TNG! The others seemed to pale in comparison for me although I did enjoy DS9. The characters in TNG were so varied, interesting and well developed but I suppose the length of the run allowed for a fairly deep character development. And I found Worf rather endearing, all gruff Klingon but with a soft side to him. As for Polaski, I never did like her. Yes, she was headstrong and arrogant, much like the Bones character but she came across as too much of a condescending character, like she was better than everyone else!

25. DeathStarZero

DeathStarZero Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2004
    I didn't particularly like Pulaski either.

Diana Muldaur had ties to TOS so that's probably why they hired her.