JCC Engagement parties

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Tunes, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Why do these exist? A bachelor/bachelorette party makes sense to me, but this doesn't (I'm going to one of these tonight for a cousin of mine). A couple announces their engagement, and people congratulate them. Shouldn't that be enough? :p

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.
  2. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    An example of being social.
  3. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    I see my family plenty during the year. I'd rather be out with friends on a Saturday night, or watching basketball.

4. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    You wouldn't regard any of your family members as friends?
  5. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    I don't know, maybe because people care that their family/friends have reached a significant milestone in their lives? Good friends of mine just got engaged yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. If they had a party for it, I'd certainly go.
  6. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Family is family, and friends (some are like family) are friends. What's wrong with separating the two? And don't get me wrong, Jello, I'm certainly happy for my cousin/enjoy the presence of my family. I will very much enjoy going to their wedding in October (which will happen a day before my birthday :p ).

7. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    I undertand your mentality. But either friends or family, just go with it. (this is of course aside from any abuse by either party)
  8. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    It's also that my family has a strong history of divorce, so this party tonight may not seem so rosy in a few years. :p

9. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    To me, it seems like just a (p)rehash of the rehearsal/wedding/reception, except maybe a bit less formal (depending on the couple and their families). "Congratulations! I'll see you again in a few months or so to say 'Congratulations!' again."

Then again, I don't understand most things about marriage such as the exchange of shiny expensive things, the idea of "popping the question," the need to have multiple and expensive parties, the need to involve more people than should be involved, the sexism and general horrible archaic nature of many traditions, sentences that are too long but the author can't be bothered to edit, and all that good stuff. So I'll just smoke a cigar and grow out my neckbeard, I guess.
  10. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    I'm with the OP on this one. Do we really need a new social obligation associated with weddings? I'm not anti-wedding and I'd go if invited but the list of invented/latecomer traditions seems to be growing.
  11. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    Engagement parties are new? Maybe they're been making a comeback, but I'm pretty sure they've been around almost as long as marriage has.
  12. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    Also, I must have missed this in the OP, but how are you defending bachelor parties while endorsing these? At least this is a respectable, pleasant affair. I don't see what's at all likeable about the notion that you so hate your spouse-to-be that you need to have some party mourning the upcoming nuptials. Whether, in it's stereotypical explosion of debauchery that's predicated on the notion that people's libido is so wild that it would a great burden to confine yourself to a single partner, or in the milder but still offensive form centered on the idea it somehow means being cut off from friends and associates, the ideas behind this are awful and long outmoded.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    JCers are anti-social. Shocking!
  14. mrsvos Force Ghost

star 5
    Materialistic money grubbing attention whores, my friend.
  15. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I can be pretty anti-social, but that isn't part of my objections and you know it. :p
  16. Koohii Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's another excuse to codge a gift from everyone.

Screw it.
    Announce the engagement at some event already established--holiday party, birthday, family picnic, whatever. Then anyone who didn't come to that event can either be met separately for lunch or something and told then, or called on the phone or emailed or e-vited or whatever.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Well, the affiance is a pretty big deal in and of itself, though. It's the signaling of a major change in people's lives, even if it's not formalized until the wedding.
  18. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I didn't have one but my brother did. No gifts, just a reason to socialize and be congratulated.
  19. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
    Bachelor parties are at least fun/exciting Wocky, and you do things you normally wouldn't do. Tonight, though enjoyable enough (it's not often I drink from a 20+ year old bottle of Jack Daniel's), really isn't needed in the normal events for a wedding (of which I object to because its something I don't want to do, but recognize that it can work for others). I also am more anti-social than most here. :p
  20. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    *makes note to not invite Tunick to engagement party*
  21. Darth Tunes SfC Commish on an "All-Star" break

Game Host
    star 10
  22. Pat_Healy Force Ghost

star 1
    Engagement parties are dumb. We chose against having one.
    Bridal parties are dumb. They are only used to milk more gifts from friends and family. My fiancé doesn't want one, but her family is throwing a surprise one anyway.
    Bachelor/Bachelorette parties are cool.
    The End.
  23. Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What a bunch of curmudgeons. So what if someone is so happy that they feel they need to throw a party?

I'll be throwing an engagement party this year, and you are all invited. No gifts are necessary or expected...except bottles of single malt Scotch...and a really nice leather sofa.

24. EmpireForever Chosen One

star 8
    20 year old Jack? That's your idea of a good time?
  25. lexu Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm not anti-wedding or anti-marriage, but I consider this among the least of my complaints with regards to the whole ordeal. Men: you have no idea. Just thank whatever god(s) you do or do not believe in that you've never had to attend a bridal or baby shower, or had to deal with an otherwise well-adjusted adult woman who now considers herself the center of the universe and actively chooses to behave accordingly with the expectation of being showered with constant compliments, reassurances, time, and--not least of all--money.