main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Engagement parties

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Mar 3, 2012.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Why do these exist? A bachelor/bachelorette party makes sense to me, but this doesn't (I'm going to one of these tonight for a cousin of mine). A couple announces their engagement, and people congratulate them. Shouldn't that be enough? :p

Los Angeles Lakers: Drama, guaranteed.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    An example of being social.

3. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I see my family plenty during the year. I'd rather be out with friends on a Saturday night, or watching basketball.

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You wouldn't regard any of your family members as friends?

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know, maybe because people care that their family/friends have reached a significant milestone in their lives? Good friends of mine just got engaged yesterday, and I couldn't be happier. If they had a party for it, I'd certainly go.

6. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Family is family, and friends (some are like family) are friends. What's wrong with separating the two? And don't get me wrong, Jello, I'm certainly happy for my cousin/enjoy the presence of my family. I will very much enjoy going to their wedding in October (which will happen a day before my birthday :p ).

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I undertand your mentality. But either friends or family, just go with it. (this is of course aside from any abuse by either party)

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It's also that my family has a strong history of divorce, so this party tonight may not seem so rosy in a few years. :p

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    To me, it seems like just a (p)rehash of the rehearsal/wedding/reception, except maybe a bit less formal (depending on the couple and their families). "Congratulations! I'll see you again in a few months or so to say 'Congratulations!' again."

Then again, I don't understand most things about marriage such as the exchange of shiny expensive things, the idea of "popping the question," the need to have multiple and expensive parties, the need to involve more people than should be involved, the sexism and general horrible archaic nature of many traditions, sentences that are too long but the author can't be bothered to edit, and all that good stuff. So I'll just smoke a cigar and grow out my neckbeard, I guess.

10. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'm with the OP on this one. Do we really need a new social obligation associated with weddings? I'm not anti-wedding and I'd go if invited but the list of invented/latecomer traditions seems to be growing.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Engagement parties are new? Maybe they're been making a comeback, but I'm pretty sure they've been around almost as long as marriage has.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Also, I must have missed this in the OP, but how are you defending bachelor parties while endorsing these? At least this is a respectable, pleasant affair. I don't see what's at all likeable about the notion that you so hate your spouse-to-be that you need to have some party mourning the upcoming nuptials. Whether, in it's stereotypical explosion of debauchery that's predicated on the notion that people's libido is so wild that it would a great burden to confine yourself to a single partner, or in the milder but still offensive form centered on the idea it somehow means being cut off from friends and associates, the ideas behind this are awful and long outmoded.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    JCers are anti-social. Shocking!

14. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Materialistic money grubbing attention whores, my friend.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I can be pretty anti-social, but that isn't part of my objections and you know it. :p

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    It's another excuse to codge a gift from everyone.

Screw it.
    Announce the engagement at some event already established--holiday party, birthday, family picnic, whatever. Then anyone who didn't come to that event can either be met separately for lunch or something and told then, or called on the phone or emailed or e-vited or whatever.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, the affiance is a pretty big deal in and of itself, though. It's the signaling of a major change in people's lives, even if it's not formalized until the wedding.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't have one but my brother did. No gifts, just a reason to socialize and be congratulated.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Bachelor parties are at least fun/exciting Wocky, and you do things you normally wouldn't do. Tonight, though enjoyable enough (it's not often I drink from a 20+ year old bottle of Jack Daniel's), really isn't needed in the normal events for a wedding (of which I object to because its something I don't want to do, but recognize that it can work for others). I also am more anti-social than most here. :p

20. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    *makes note to not invite Tunick to engagement party*

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Don't have one. :p

22. Pat_Healy

Pat_Healy Jedi Master star 1

Feb 3, 2005
    Engagement parties are dumb. We chose against having one.
    Bridal parties are dumb. They are only used to milk more gifts from friends and family. My fiancé doesn't want one, but her family is throwing a surprise one anyway.
    Bachelor/Bachelorette parties are cool.
    The End.

23. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    What a bunch of curmudgeons. So what if someone is so happy that they feel they need to throw a party?

I'll be throwing an engagement party this year, and you are all invited. No gifts are necessary or expected...except bottles of single malt Scotch...and a really nice leather sofa.

24. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    20 year old Jack? That's your idea of a good time?

25. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    I'm not anti-wedding or anti-marriage, but I consider this among the least of my complaints with regards to the whole ordeal. Men: you have no idea. Just thank whatever god(s) you do or do not believe in that you've never had to attend a bridal or baby shower, or had to deal with an otherwise well-adjusted adult woman who now considers herself the center of the universe and actively chooses to behave accordingly with the expectation of being showered with constant compliments, reassurances, time, and--not least of all--money.