main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC English

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I was watching one of these Schwarzenegger one-liner mashup clips, and a commenter underneath the vid had quoted Arnie as saying "Rong", as if to mock his incorrect pronunciation of 'wrong'. What, is there actually an intelligible difference in the pronunciation of the two? Do you actually stress the w when you say the word 'wrong'? How do you do that, anyway?

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    a beezel thread?

4. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Does beezel pronounce 'wrong' wrong?

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  6. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
  7. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    The sound of w is just a diphthong o. It's a transitional o sound. How do you audibly say w before a consonant (r in this case)? If I wrote 'wrong' and 'rong' on a blackboard and asked you to read them out loud, would you pronounce them any differently? Would anyone be able to tell the difference? How do you stress the w? Worong? Orong? Oorong? Bottom line is: Arnold Schwarzenegger is a hardworking American and he doesn't deserve your scorn! He's trying, damn you, he's trying!

Mr. K likes this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Heh heh you said "dipthong" heh heh heh

Mr. K likes this.
  9. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002

The person who made the comment is silly. There is no modern dialect of English where /w/ exists in "wrong" or any other words with a <wr>- onset. The word begins with /r/.

As we all probably know, English orthography is far more conservative than English pronunciation. It's arguably one of the most difficult aspects of the language, both for L1 and L2 learners.

It does appear that /w/ was formerly pronounced in these <wr>- words, but has not been since at least the 1600s. I'm not sure about "wrong" specifically, since the Old Norse source is recorded as rangr (the <w> may have been inserted in the spelling in analogy to other <wr>- words where the /w/ was no longer pronounced). I found a detailed discussion here.

As for how those <wr> clusters were actually pronounced back in the day, here's one poster's take:

10. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    Wright. Wreally well said.

11. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Hey, Terr_Mys, what about the beginnings of "wh" words, like "what" and "whale?" Back when I was teaching, we had these language arts materials that insisted the beginning of those words was a "hw-" sound. I don't believe this sound exists in my dialect, and the "hw-" lessons just annoyed everybody.

Is there a dialect of English in which (or hwich) the "hw-" sound exists? I think Mary Poppins says it, but then, Mary Poppins says a lot of things. :p

12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    This interviewer says it like that.

It's a spoof clip, but it's the only example that came to mind where I've heard it.
    (obligatory language warning)

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

DO YOU SPEAK IT?!?!?

14. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    "Everybody likes Cool Hwhip"
    [​IMG]

Ghost likes this.
  15. Terr_Mys

Terr_Mys Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002

These "wh" words were in fact, hundreds of years ago - in Old English - "hw" words. What was hwæt. Where was hwǽr. Whale was hwæl. And so on.

Historical evidence leads us to believe that these words were indeed pronounced with an [hw] onset. For some reason, spelling standards transposed the two letters around the 13th century, but we have no concrete evidence that the pronunciation started changing (deleting the [h]) en masse until the 18th century. The change apparently originated in London, and then diffused across England.

By this point, America had already been settled by Englishmen, the vast majority of whom did not have the merger between /hw/ and /w/ when they arrived in the New World. So while England was losing the [h] sound in these words (it's basically extinct in Britain today), Americans largely retained it.

Eventually, the situation in America began to change as well. Linguistic interviews from the 1940s reported that speakers in and around coastal cities in the Northeast did not pronounce the [h] sound in these words, while other Americans still did. These cities had very close commercial ties with Britain in the 19th century, which led to the importation of numerous linguistic features from across the pond.

The most recent dialectology research shows that the loss of [h] in "wh" words spread has rapidly across the country since the studies of the 1940s. This map from the Atlas of North American English shows that the merger of /hw/ and /w/ is now nearly complete in the US. The resistance to this change is strongest in the South, but the retention of [hw] is not universal there. There are also some outliers in the Midwest and New England. On the map, red dots indicate speakers who maintain the distinction between /hw/ and /w/. Green dots are those individuals who either say OR hear them differently, while orange dots are those who pronounce them closely. Yellow dots mark speakers who have no trace of [h] in their "wh" words.

It's pretty remarkable how rare this feature is today, considering that 70 years ago, it was the norm across the United States.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  16. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Britons that pronounce "H" as "haich" - is that just a West Country thing?