main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Enlighten me about figure collecting.

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by HiddenJediKnight, Apr 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiddenJediKnight

HiddenJediKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2003
    Do you collect SW figures cause their worth something? You just like having them. What i just don't get it. I love Star Wars books, mags, games, video but i just don't get figures. I'm not saying I don't have some I do when I was younger and played with them other than that I don't get the point since most of the figures I see from you all are in plastic prisons.

2. yodashizzzle

yodashizzzle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    it's just a matter of what you like. i like collecting them because it honestly is something that makes me feel happy in the same way you do when you're a little kid and you enjoy really simple stuff. some of the toys aren't cool, IMO. but by and large, there's some really cool stuff out there. i sure as hell don't do it to resell 'em or because i think they'll be worth a fortune some day. without going into too many details, the year ANH came out marked one of the last times my family felt whole and intact. i seriously collect little bits of generally worthless plastic to heal old wounds because it takes me back to a time when i felt more innocent and happy. dumb, maybe, but it's therapy in a way.

3. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I collect them because I love to set them up into diorama scenes from the movies. That's what I enjoy most about collecting, and that's how I decide what figures I purchase.

So, yah, I take them out of their plastic prisons and set them up to look like the movies... I love doing that and seeing a scene come to life in front of me over a period of months! :D

4. yodashizzzle

yodashizzzle Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    yep,, building dioramas is the way of true fandom.

www.niubniubsuniverse.com is one of THE coolest sites on the web. (no, i'm not niubniub doing shameless self promotion...i don't even have a diorama represented on the site....but it's just a great place to look at some of the creative stuff people have done.)

5. HiddenJediKnight

HiddenJediKnight Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2003
    Thanks those are really great answers.

6. LittleGreenMaster

LittleGreenMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2002
    Actually HiddenJediKnight most collectors do have figures open, even those who keep most in the package ;)

You should check out the Collection pictures thread :D Lots of us display our figures out of the package :D In the thread I think you'll see why we collect ;) Collection pics

Some of us, Like me, Buy Star Wars figures in order to set up Star Wars scenes ;) I have like 80 scenes set up :D

I Love setting up Star Wars scenes & hanging ships from my ceiling :D

7. OBIX1

OBIX1 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 7, 2002
    I have all my fiures out of the package execetp 2 of them.I just like collecting them,they're fun! :D

8. dustinbrewer

dustinbrewer Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 8, 2002
    i collect loose 3 3/4" figures only, pretty much, setting them up together in groups that represent each film and various scenes in those movies. i think the figures, visually, are the best representation of the star wars universe. it has been interesting to see the evolution of figures since kenner's original line to today's saga line.

i agree with the others too, dioramas, from very simple to incredibly detailed are the way to go :)

9. finster_the_hutt

finster_the_hutt Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2003
    I collect SW toys because I grew up with Star Wars. They were my most prized toys as a child (until an older sibling sold them). Then when they started re-doing SW in 95, I got kinda crazy. All my stuff is loose, aside for the odd thing here and there. It's fun, it's semi-constructive and it makes for great decoration.
    .....plus they're great to make big crazy action scenes at 4am when there's nothing to do but toss and turn.

10. LittleGreenMaster

LittleGreenMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 2002
    I collect SW toys because I grew up with Star Wars :D Me too Finster ;) Got my 1st one when I was 4 :D I agree with everything you said ;)

plus they're great to make big crazy action scenes at 4am when there's nothing to do but toss and turn.

[face_laugh] I can relate [face_mischief] Actually I just fixed a couple of scenes :D

11. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I too grew up with Star Wars and was 12 when it came out in 1977. I open most of my figures and buy doubles of the ones that I really like. I also like to setup dioramas and collect a wide variety of other SW related items.

12. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    Well, I'm going to go against the grain.

I was only 1 when ANH came out. Since then I have been nuts about it. Had to watch it anytime it was on. I can't remember when I started getting figures. But I can tell you they dominated our toy box.

Nowadays, I keep most of my stuff in the package, except for deluxe or duplicate figures.

So, go ahead and accuse me of being a heartless warden with all my plastic prisoners. I don't care.

13. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    I collect them because I couldn't afford them as a kid and spent my childhood dreaming of what it would be like to have the entire set. I would love to set them up in permanent dioramas, but the truth is that I don't have room to display them like that. There is a certain amount of childhood wonder that it brings back when I open my door after work and see my place looking like Toys 'R' Us. I see Cinema scenes and beast packs on the tops on my kitchen cabinets, ships stacked on top of my fridge, countless rows of figures in every room except the bathroom and I think, "Yeah...this is just the way I imagined it." :)

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I've been a Boba Fett fan since ESB but I never collected the figures. I did get all the books, though, so that started the Star Wars collection. I saw TPM when it came out but I wasn't crazy about it. Bought the book, and eventually the DVD, but that was about it. I did not start getting excited about AOTC until I read about Jango's appearance, and that started the Fett fever all over again. Worse - the Internet is now around to keep it alive. Around the time I saw AOTC, I saw the 300th Boba Fett figure in a local toy store and a collection was born...
    I collect mostly Fetts (both Jango and Boba, along with Slave I) but I branch out to other figures if I like them. Dengar, Xizor, Shaak Ti, IG-88, Zuckuss, and a Vader Unleashed are also in the collection. Some are on display, others are packaged. If I really like a figure (like 300th Boba) I buy multiples, especially if the local shop puts them on sale. Most of the collection is in my den, but it is slowly branching out. I collect for enjoyment, and if I manage to find something rare,well, all the better.

15. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "So, go ahead and accuse me of being a heartless warden with all my plastic prisoners. I don't care."

You heartless warden. How could you do such a horrible thing?

16. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    Figures and toys out-of-package actually take up less space! :D

17. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I open up almost all of my toys. THe only ones I keep in package are the super-rare ones.

18. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    Collecting SW figs sucks. Im dropping out. Ive had it.

19. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    People collect SW figures for the simple reason that they enjoy the hobby. I know I personally love the hunt for figures the most, going from store to store, trying to find the figures I really want. And when I finally find what I have looked so long and hard for, the feeling is one of immense fulfillment.

Basically, people collect figs for the same reasons people who like basketball play basketball, and people who like reality TV watch Survivor. People do what they enjoy, and for many of us SW fans, we enjoy collecting figures.

20. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Alot of what Darth_Stalker said applies to me as well. He said:

I collect them because I couldn't afford them as a kid and spent my childhood dreaming of what it would be like to have the entire set...There is a certain amount of childhood wonder that it brings back when I open my door ... and see my place looking like Toys 'R' Us...I think, "Yeah...this is just the way I imagined it."

Also... since I was a girl no one ever bought me Star Wars stuff for birthdays or Christmas no matter how much I begged for them. Instead they would buy me barbie dolls *gags.* Anyway... since I never played with those barbie dolls, and because I am a packrat, I saved them all those years unopened. Do you know how much vintage boxed barbies on ebay go for these days? I was shocked. I sold all the barbies, Bryer horses, little golden books, etc, and other toys from my childhood on ebay for thousands of dollars, and turned around and bought what I had always wanted to begin with... Star Wars toys!

Being in my 30s now, I can afford to buy what I always wanted, so I'll buy the vintage stuff on ebay, and buy the newer stuff as well. Nothing puts a smile on my face like walking into my Star Wars room and seeing all my stuff surrounding me... it just makes me feel good... it is the best therapy in the world for me. I don't buy anything because I plan to sell it... I am not a completist, I only buy what I like. I plan to give my collection to my kids when they are older. Two of my kids have started their own collections. :D It is such a great thing to be able to share your hobby/passion for Star Wars with your kids or someone you love... it brings us closer together as a family.

21. Darth_Stalker

Darth_Stalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 14, 2002
    :eek: [face_laugh] That is super MJF! That worked out better for you in the long run....why couldn't my parents have bought me some Barbies? :D

22. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Collecting SW figs sucks. Im dropping out. Ive had it.

bite your tounge!
    @#$ $%^$%^ %&$^^&&(#@@!#!
    grrrr

:p ;) :D

why would u want to, it is against my prgraming to stop collecting

23. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Hey, I personally collect just for the fun of it, I have been doing it for most of my life so its a way of life for me. I tell people that dont understand that I do it becuase they are gonna be worth something, but honestly I probably wont ever sell em. oh well its a ton of fun (a lot of money though)

Forcebewitya!

24. BushiFox

BushiFox Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2002
    I collect because I love toys. Not just star wars, but, most toys. I think they are the coolest thing since sliced bread. So, my collection will continue to grow. Just remember what good old Dr. Seuss says: "Adults are obsolete children".

25. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    I keep just about all of my Star Wars figures in the package...but not so that I can resell them later and make money. I just enjoy seeing them in the package. I think that they're cool to look at that way. I have many hanging on push pins in my wall, and it is the most attractive display in my room...at least that is what guests tell me. I don't buy every single action figure that comes out because I cannot afford it. I only buy what I like. Occasionally, if there is a figure that I think would be cool to open, I buy two of them. I keep one packaged up, and I open the other. Collecting these figures is just something that makes me forget about the hardships of life. It makes me happy. There is no forseeable day in the future that I will stop adding to my collection. As long as Star Wars figures are being made, I will be buying them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.