main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Enlisted the series

Discussion in 'Community' started by beezel26, Mar 22, 2014.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
  2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I enlisted the series too.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I saw the first episode and enjoyed it. Keep meaning to watch the others.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I've heard that it's pretty good. Too bad I don't have a TV.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  5. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    You live it Sarge.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    I've heard that it's pretty good. Too bad I don't have a TV.

The first couple of episodes were really good. After the pilot called a Bradley a "tank," the producers indicated that they would pay close attention to small details and it shows. Now things like calling "at ease" when the SGM walks into the dining facility add the small touches. The 3 brothers (main characters) are all good. Keith David is excellent as the SGM. The squad members are a bit stereotypical in a caricature kind of way, but no moreso than Stripes or MASH. There was a great episode which focused on old crusty veterans and their last mission to re-capture a challenge coin that the Marines down the street stole from them years ago. Stacy Keach, Alan Ruck, and Barry Bostwick played the veterans. It had a decent episode which focused on PTSD.

However, the episodes are shown out of story order for some reason, so supporting characters who have been introduced fade in and out, and the audience meets some of them before the characters do. Additionally, the most recent episode was HORRIBLE. It dealt with a giant mechanical spider (stupid, but ok I guess), that used a "poo gun" (yes, that's what they called it, and it was really stupid) but the SGM had a scene with him in a milk bath (explained away in the show as trying to be Annie Lebovitz, but it didn't work....at all....)

This show was designed to be Scrubs on a military base. It captures about 75% of that goal, and the parts that don't work are all the fault of the writers. It's already been pulled from the schedule, but interestingly, The Army Times wrote a letter asking Fox to give it another chance....

7. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Not surprising that it's been pulled already. If Fox decides to renew anyway, I'd watch.

8. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    There are 4 episodes that have been filmed that are going to air at some future time. Interestingly, there is kind of an unofficial call to have actual soldiers send in funny stories from where they are stationed and use them on the show. (assuming it gets renewed, which doesn't seem likely) I don't know the logistics/legalities/etc of a tv show doing that, but it would be interesting.

At any rate, real stories couldn't be any worse than a team of television writers coming up with a mechanical spider armed with a poo gun.