main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Enter not into temptation...

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by endangeredsp, Mar 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. endangeredsp

endangeredsp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 7, 2003
    ?This is a dangerous time for you, when you will be tempted by the Dark Side of the Force,? is what Ben told Luke.

I'm wondering... Does EVERY Jedi-in-training have to go through temptation at some point--is this like an inevitable requirement, or is it that Yoda and Ben only forsaw this happening to Luke?

~endangeredsp

2. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I think it's just something that happens. As the padawan begins to open themselves to the Force, the danger of falling to the Dark Side becomes more real.

3. Depa Billaba

Depa Billaba Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 1998
    Anger, fear, hate, and aggression are natural to humans (and, presumably, living beings) and no amount of training can fully rid you off them. Therefore, especially considering their line of work, all Jedi almost certainly, at one point or another, get tempted by the Dark Side. I would go as far as to say they get tempted by the Dark Side several times in their lifetimes, though the extent to which they are tempted varies among individuals according to the situations and their personalities.

Depa Billaba

4. Lord_Makro

Lord_Makro Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 13, 2002
    You speak well, Depa Billaba!

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I think Obi-Wan's warning is that along with power, comes the temptation to use it.

Luke was just beginning to come into his power when he left to rescue his friends at Bespin. Obi-Wan and Yoda knew it was a trap and had to be justly worried about what Luke might try to do to rescue his friends.

To compare the two different aspects of the Force, it seems that the Dark Side is always a temptation for any Force user. It offers itself easily to fulfill the wishes of anyone unwise enough to accept its power.

6. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    That and Luke got a rather condensed version of the training. Like other's have said a padawan is always at risk of being tempted by the Dark Side. I bet in the normal training period this was dealt with by the various Masters but I don't think it would necessarily be as intense a trial as Luke's. Obi Wan and Yoda had to know Luke could resist and not become a Dark Jedi at the wrong moment or thier plans would've been shot in the foot.

7. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    luke has to pass the test, obi wan knows this, but thinks he isnt ready.

the only thing that can turn luke into a jedi, is the ability to look the dark side in the face, and remain commited.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.