Beyond Enter the Foreign (time travel AU - Anakin Sr., Ben, Tahiri, Allana, OCs & more) - author news 6/15

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 30, 2010.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ViariSkywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Edit: Removed the link to FF.N as it is no longer needed. All previous chapters have been restored to their full length!

Well, I'm still here. :p

As I'm sure everyone knows by now, much of this story is missing due to the truncated post issue, and a lot of the punctuation is weird. This is actually not the worst thing for me, since I have yet to finish the next chapter. I know, I know; I had six months, what's wrong with me? As always, I blame DRL and - to some extent - DWB.

Anyway, I saw that we've been given the okay to post links to our stories on other websites, as long as they're still TOS compliant, so that's what I'm going to do for now. Here you go! (And feel free to respond here; I actually prefer the JC over FF.N when it comes to reader replies. Easier for me to read and respond. But if you'd rather reply over there, that's cool, too.)

Also, @Rew - I did not forget about you! Once posts are fully restored and we get unlimited editing back, I will return and answer your awesome review! Or if it takes a while for those things to happen, I'll come back anyway and respond to as much as I can, since it looks like your post got cut off by the word limit as well. Thank you for taking the time to craft such a thoughtful response! It totally made my day back in February, and it made my day again just rereading what's there. :D
    Last edited by ViariSkywalker, Jun 18, 2014
    Rew likes this.
  2. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    Aw, thank you Vi! It's kind of funny, I was just thinking about this fic earlier today and was wondering about it. Glad to see you back around and posting again. :D

Ha! It's funny--I knew that I'd caught up on this fic and responded earlier this year, but I forgot I had responded at such length! I do get carried away sometimes. ;) But yes, I look forward to your thoughts (when the posts are straightened out--it's amazing how short 10,000 really is, eh?), and I especially look forward to more chapter updates! :cool:
  3. jacen200015 Force Ghost

star 4
    You're forgiven for making us wait :) While i wait for the next post for this, i'll work on one of my fics that hasn't been updated in a long time.
  4. Lord-Lelouch Jedi Youngling

Greetings,

I've recently stumbled upon your Star Wars Fanfics and I have to say that I find them very enjoyable.

Anyways, since it has been so long since you last updated or published any of your stories would it be alright for me to ask a few question in regards to how you intended to proceed with those stories.

Questions:

1. In your story "Enter Foreign", will Anakin eventually manage to return to his own timeline and stop himself from falling to the Dark Side. After all, he now knows that all of Palpatines promises are empty and useless and in the end caused him and his descendants more harm than good.

2. I also read your one-shots "The Darkest of Shadow" and "The Boy In The Red Room" and I also know you planned publishing a continuation of those stories called "Starting Over".

Can you please tell me what you had intended for that story.

I really hope that the title means that Anakin has redeemed himself and left behind the persona of Darth Vader and that Padme managed to save him and bring him back to the light side of the force and that now he is no longer Darth Vader, she finally allows herself to be with him and help him as he works on his redemption.

As you can see I am really hoping that Anakin and Padme have a happy ending together (possibly getting married as well with Luke and Leia being born), with her managing to redeem Anakin and Anakin working to right the wrongs he committed as Darth Vader

Of Course I could be wrong but would you be willing to share the plot of this particular storyline with me please.

After all, the idea of the story sounds very promising but you might never actually get around to publishing it or finishing it if you do. So I would like to get some sort of closure as to what you had intended for this particular storyline and how it progressed. So could you perhaps give me a summary of it plot.

I promise that I will not share it with anyone unless I have your explicit permission.

So I hope that I am not asking for too much with my request for the plot summary of the storylibe of "The Darkest of Shadows" and "The Boy in The Red Room"

I apologize if I have offended you in anyway during the course of this message it is just that I always remain in suspense and have an incomplete consuming feeling whenever I read good stories that might never been complete and make no mistake your stories to seem to be very well written.

So if its not too much to ask for could you share with me what you can

Once again I apologize if I have offended you in anyway.

PLEASE REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
  5. ViariSkywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    I guess the truncated posts are still a thing, huh? I suppose I'll be manually editing previous chapters to return them to their full length. Look for that sometime in the near future. (Edit: all previous chapters have been restored to their full length. Enjoy!)

I've been on an unintended hiatus from fanfic for a while, mostly due to real life. Lots of changes over the last two years, some really good, some really stressful. I think I'm in a place where I can start working on this story again and hopefully have more frequent updates. And when I say more frequent, just know that it'll still probably be a few weeks or months between updates, and that's me being very optimistic.

I'm grateful to everyone who has read this over the years, and especially to those who are still following it even after more than two years without an update. Btw, @Rew remember that response I promised? I've had it saved in a word doc for almost two years, waiting for the truncation issue to be resolved. Since it hasn't been fixed, I'm just going to post what I have. Better late than never, right?

RewHi Vi! It's great that you've updated--it's only been slightly over a year. I jest, but I hope everything's going well with the little addition to your family.

--Things have been going great; thanks for asking! Since we last spoke, we’ve actually had another little addition to the family, so things have gotten even more awesome and crazy around here. :D

And great update! I went back and reread your whole story to refresh my memory (there were some parts I just skimmed in 2010 ), plus the new update. Everything's coming together nicely!

--I am definitely guilty of skimming myself, but I’m glad you were able to go back and read the whole thing! Also glad to hear that everything is meshing well. I worry about that sometimes when it takes me months and months (or years and years) to post an update. That’s probably why I reread my stuff so much. :p

I'm trying to put together a timeline in my head of everything that's going on here. Everything in the EU, you say, is canonical up to about Bloodlines or Tempest. (Personally, I would've made it up to Betrayal since that one was awesome, but Bloodlines was rubbish IMO.)

--Lol, I’ve never read any of the LOTF books more than once, so it’s been how many years since those first three were released? Eight? Holy cow, I didn’t realize it had been that long. I remember being intrigued by Betrayal at the time it first came out, and then my enthusiasm just faded with each book. I actually never even got around to reading Invincible because I’d read spoilers and reviews from people I trust, and I didn’t want to shell out $20 for a book I knew I would dislike. I figured I’d wait for the paperback so that at least I’d have the complete series on my bookshelf, but by the time that happened… I sort of forgot about it, to be honest. :p I was in my senior year of college, what can I say?

Anyway! I’m one of those people who will put up with some of the crappy stuff in canon if it comes attached to something I like or find interesting. I seem to recall having that feeling about the early parts of LOTF. I can tell you that the original plot bunny for this story bit me in early 2007, before Exile came out, so that’s where I came up with the Bloodlines/Tempest cut-off. Since I can’t remember all the details from those books, I don’t want to say either “yes, they are canon” or “no, they are not canon”; it’s really more of a situation where I picked out things from those books that I thought would work as backstory for EtF. At least that’s how I remember it. [face_thinking] Point being: just because the events of DN and Bloodlines are canon in this story, that doesn’t mean I particularly liked or agreed with those books. It just means I found some things in them that are useful for the story I want to tell here. Make sense? (I’m not sure I followed all that, honestly. ;))

Side note: I am terrible at doing short author replies. This reply might end up being longer than the actual chapter you replied to. :p

From then on, a conflict ensues from Jacen Solo's transformation into Darth Caedus. He kills the legendary Luke Skywalker (which I would LOVE to see, given that Luke is one of the most powerful Force-users of all time--perhaps he tries to talk things out with Jacen instead of fight, which is why he dies? How exactly does Caedus beat the unbeatable?), buying time for his son Ben and others to evacuate. Caedus continues to wreak more havoc until he and his twin sister Jaina kill each other in battle, ending his menace.

--Obviously I don’t want to give away too much in regards to Luke’s death because I love scattering things like that throughout the story, but I will say that it was there was a lot of chaos surrounding that whole event. I’m not promising that the whole of the situation will be revealed in this story, but there will be more references to it, certainly. And yes, Caedus continues on for about a year after Luke’s death before Jaina is finally able to stop him.

I'm guessing it's sometime after this that Krayt's One Sith come onto the scene. Is there a connection between Caedus and Krayt? Was Krayt just letting Caedus do his dirty work for him, then once he was gone, found the Jedi Order sufficiently weakened to begin his conquest of the galaxy? How did they establish the Sith Empire so quickly?

--There will be more on this in future chapters, but yes, the Jedi Order sustains some very heavy losses during Caedus’s time, making them very weak and ripe for conquest.

Sometime after the death of the Solo twins I'm guessing is when Leia dies taking out those four Sith Lords. (Is she the one who succeeded Luke as Grand Master? When did the Order transition from a Grand Master form of autocracy to the more egalitarian "Round Table" Jedi Council we see in this fic?) When/How does Han die? Mara? Jag?

--Yep, Leia is killed during a battle with Krayt’s One Sith. After Luke’s death – and the death of a few other Council members – the remaining Council begins the shift toward what you see in this story. Basically, the more screwed up things got, the more fly-by-the-seat-of-their-pants the Jedi became. Eventually the Jedi Order goes into hiding, setting up the current system of enclaves that are scattered across the galaxy. The Jedi are ignored for a little while, but then Krayt initiates the Jedi Hunt, and that is when Leia is forced back out into the open and killed. :(

Other background questions: How do Tahiri and Ben get so close? We know in Invincible they form a bond when Ben talks her away from the dark side. But I'm guessing your Tahiri never goes dark or joins Caedus?

--I’d say their relationship grew because of the circumstances. Tahiri never fell to the dark side, and before she died, Jaina asked Tahiri to be the guardian of her children if anything were to happen to Han and Leia. Ben has almost no family left, and Tahiri essentially became a surrogate family member. I see their relationship as being that of siblings. They certainly fight like brother and sister. :p

Also, what of Ben and Jacen's relationship? They're master and apprentice in Betrayal and Bloodlines, and Ben looks up to Jacen immensely. Sometime after that, Jacen's become such a danger to Ben that Luke must sacrifice his life to save his son. I wonder how that relationship deteriorated so? (We know how it does in canon, of course.)

--Even though I forget half the stuff that happened in LOTF, I’d say the deterioration of the relationship in this story probably has a lot of similarities to what happened in canon. It’ll be touched on in later chapters, but Ben definitely carries a lot of baggage from what happened with Jacen.

Lots of questions, but don't feel like you have to answer them all--I'm mostly just thinking out loud here. I know you'll provide some answers as the story goes on.

--No worries, I love that my writing is able to elicit such a response, and I love to answer questions. Even if a lot of my answers are pretty vague… [face_mischief]

And I also know that Ben hasn't told Anakin everything about what's happened since his time.

--[face_whistling]

Anyway, Jacen Solo fan that I am, I'm most keenly interested in what you do with Allana. I have to say, I like her a lot so far! She's snarky, insubordinate but compassionate, cares about Ben but gives him a hard time, has just the right amount of teenage confidence when there's no danger, but sufficient fear during the heat of battle when death becomes a real possibility.

--Good to hear! I was a teeny bit worried that she would come across as your stereotypical whiny teenage brat, but I tried to show that a lot of that comes back to her relationship with Ben and his role as her master/parent figure/older brother figure. And I try to balance that part of her with her more mature, reasonable, compassionate side, which I think you see a little bit more in her interactions with Anakin.

I have to admit, her interaction with Anakin so far has been a surprise. I thought she'd be a lot more leery of him, distrustful, but she's taking right to him. I think I like it. He's become very paternal toward her (which we the reader know exactly why that is, but Allana and most of the others don't), and having never had a *real* father figure before, she's gravitating toward him completely. It helps that he's just saved her life too.

--Yeah, I think she definitely sensed a connection with him, even if she had no way of understanding why she felt that connection. I also think what she’s feeling toward him is very typical of teenage girls, in that she yearns to feel special and valued; even in their short time together, Anakin makes her feel that way. And since Ben hasn’t been around much, it’s easy to see why she naturally gravitates toward this other person who actually seems to pay attention to her. Also, yeah, the whole saving her life thing. That’s a biggie. :p

I loved that Allana pleaded for that Sith twin's life when Anakin was going dark and Force choking him. That sort of compassion is very much in keeping with the canonical Allana too!

--I’m glad that scene worked for you! Like I’ve mentioned before, I don’t really know what Allana is like in canon – other than the few bits and pieces I remember from LOTF – but I wanted this Allana to have the compassion that I remember from young Jacen. I think it would be very important to her – given what happened with her father – to recognize the kinds of actions that lead to the dark side and to try to prevent others from succumbing to it. I think she’d be pretty wise when it comes to stuff like that.

It was also interesting that Allana's only rumination on her father in this fic is surprisingly positive. Given the reign of terror he unleashed on the galaxy, I would expect it to be otherwise. I'm eager to find out more about what she thinks of her father and how their relationship went the further into the dark he fell.

--There will definitely be more about that relationship later on, once our characters get out of the mess that is Vjun. [face_devil]

I'm also curious about these Sith twins. Are they OCs or people we've met in canon before they took on Darth titles?

--They’re OCs. :) The rest of your original post was truncated, so that's all I've got for now!
    Last edited by ViariSkywalker, Jun 18, 2014
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade