main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Entering the Droid Factory

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by gobalicious, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gobalicious

gobalicious Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2010
    This comes from reading the thread comparing Anakin's Tusken slaughter and Luke's killing of stormtroopers on the Death Star.

In AOTC, Padme states her intention to free Obi-Wan through diplomatic means before entering the factory. First of all, she wants to hide the ship in columns of steam. If you have purely diplomatic goals, why did you need to hide your arrival? Secondly, why do they choose to enter through an obscure door? Do they even know where they are going? I can understand not knowing where to go, but trying to hide your entrance only makes your diplomatic intentions seem doubtful.

As they enter Anakin hears the guards and activates his lightsaber as a guard jumps down. The guard then raises his sword-like object and runs at Anakin, who then chops him up. It's hard to tell who exactly initiates the attack. If you want to negotiate, wouldn't the reasonable thing to do be to surrender and let them take you to authorities? Then when questioned you can state your intention to talk to Dooku and perhaps gain an audience with him. This makes Anakin's immediate reaction to slice and dice very questionable. At least he should have put his hands up and given the guard a chance to stop his attack (if the guard even started the attack in the first place). If Anakin hadn't activated his lightsaber, maybe the guard wouldn't have attacked at all. Guards are justified to attack any armed person that enters their facility, especially if it's at close range. Now I realize the guards may have orders to kill anyone who enters the factory, but Anakin doesn't know that and he should at least attempt surrender. (I doubt that they do have these orders, because they don't immediately attack as Anakin and Padme walk by.) I also realize that Anakin's orders are to protect Padme. But that doesn't justify killing any guard who approaches. All he has to do is keep her right behind him as the guards approach.

I just feel the scene was poorly constructed just to get straight to the droid factory and arena. Opposing arguments are welcome.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Yeah I agree. However were they actively attempting to hide their entrance. It seemed to me that Padme likely knows the hostility the Geonosian sovriegnty has to outsiders and is attempting to find an industrial centre rather than a hive...

...regarding why Anakin attacked the Geonosisans I would protest the Geonosians were not seeking to ask them were the were going but to rather blatantly kill them... It might have been a different situation if they weren't in their hive. As such I would argue that when they realized they were in the middle of a nest they knew they weren't going to be able to reason or surrender with them... I don't know...

3. DARTH_DEEZY

DARTH_DEEZY Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2011
    Actually....Anakin and Padme were attacked by geonosians BEFORE they even entered the droid factory

4. gobalicious

Dec 30, 2010
    You've got to elaborate when you say things like that.

5. DARTH_DEEZY

DARTH_DEEZY Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 4, 2011
    elaborate? literally as soon as they leave the ship Geonosians start crawling out of the catacombs and Anakin slices up a few....THEN they go through the door and Padme falls

6. gobalicious

Dec 30, 2010
    That's exactly what I was addressing in my post. Did you read it? I think you're saying that corridor they walked through to get into the factory wasn't technically part of the factory. Possibly, but it doesn't really matter either way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.