main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania Enterprise

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Feb 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Did anyone watch the premiere of 'Enterprise' - the new prequel Star Trek series last night on Channel 9 @ 10:30pm?

I thought it looked really good - the ensemble cast seemed to click, and the special effects were really, really good - best of any Star Trek series yet!

I really didn't mind the opening song, credits, etc... The song 'Faith of the Heart' has been bashed in Star Trek fandom, however, I thought it was an elegant, uplifting optimistic opening.

Howerver, MORE gripes at Channel 9 (first being the non showing of Survivor 4) - this premiere was meant to be shown as a two hour movie, yet they cut it into two parts... I just cant understand Channel 9 at times...

I wonder if they will do this with AFL football, show one half of the game, and have 'to be continued' and show the other half next week... I think not! :)

For those who saw it, what are your thoughts?

2. Ghost_of_Caesar

Ghost_of_Caesar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    I refuse to watch Channel Nine until they apologise for not airing Band of Brother when they should have. I might relent if they air the new B5 movie, To Live and Die in Starlight sometime soon.

3. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    yeah, i saw it, although it was luck, because i cant remember seeing any ads for it.

it was ok, just standard star trek stuff.

4. opium

opium Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 1999
    Yea, but Quanltum Leap guy was in it! I used to love that when i was little.

Those lizardy guys were pretty cool, but i thought the theme song sucked ass.

5. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    Enterprise is going great guns
    I just hate the fact that america is over ten eps in front of us
    so you can get the first 13 eps and beyond already, although c9 hasn't even showed them

and if c9 doesn't show b5: the legend of the rangers, i'm a going to have a few words to say

6. Silmarillion

Silmarillion Manager Emerita/Ex RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 1999
    I'm not a big Trek fan, so I was a little lost. I only caught bits of it, but could someone tell me when it is set? Before DS9 and after Next Gen or something?

I watched up until those alien guys made the Klingon disappear in the medical bay, so I don't know how it ended. It was a bit boring for my liking. The usual characters doing the usual trek stuff.

7. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Sil, this is supposed to be a prequel to all the others.
    this is the original starship enterprise, as soon as humans started to travel into space.

8. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    *waves at Scream*
    I has more cds for you :p

Enterprise roxxors!
    It's fresh, new and they have emotions and aren't afraid to scream at each other, something we rarely saw on the other 4 shows previous to this series. It just feels and looks a lot more natural and it has one hot babe in the form of Scott Bakula! :D

Which reminds me, time to go get this weeks episode!

9. SWNZ

SWNZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Ick!

10. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Yes Sil - it is a prequel, set 150 years into the future, and a hundred or so years before the time of Kirk.

Humans have had little contact with the outside galaxy, and distrust the Vulcans for holding them back.

Plus there is meant to be a sub-plot running throughout the whole series of a Temporal Cold War.

11. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

I sat, I watched, I taped.

Not a big Trekkie, myself. But it was okay.

I think all the "A teleporter? They'll never work!" and "A Kling-what?" scenes will get tired a bit quick, though.

And that shadowy guy leading an army of genetic mutant lizard guys is a bit Palpy/Sidious/E2-ish. But then, I'd probably say that no matter what.

Still, not bad for Wed night. As long as it doesn't get shuffled off to 1am.

12. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    As a bit of a Trekkie myself I have to say

I was pretty darn bored with it.

I saw a few snipets, like the Klingon on the farmer's property and the Vulcans telling the Humans to kill him.

I certainly didn't like the guy who I assume was the captain. He was in it a lot. He got on my nerves. And unless that was just a really lame first episode, I'll probably stick with good ol' TGN.

Oh, and isn't that line about teleporters a bit, well, wrong - seeing some (Swiss??) scientists managed to teleport something like 3 or 4 years ago?

13. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

If you mean the line I posted, it wasn't a direct quote. In the show they were saying that they haven't got teleports of bio things down yet.

It was just a generic quote.

They said a lot of "Oh, look - a [insert something from ST/ST:TNG/ST:DSN] - that will never work/what the hell is that?"

That sort of thing will get annoying in a short time, IMHO.

14. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    ah, yeah, alright.

but still, that's going to be hard. Since we've already produced anti-matter, been able to teleport something (it was a marble, iirc, and it was teleported about 1 millimetre) and some physicyst has produced blueprints for a full working warp engine, so I don't think we should be hearing any version of that line soon. :)

15. Sith Magician

Sith Magician Jedi Master star 5

Sep 14, 1999
    What I want to know, if it's 100 years before kirk, why is the ship so much cooler looking? that and the fact that that particular Enterprise is never seen on Picards walll or any similar "Enterprise" ship displays,

16. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

What I want to know is - who the hell was the bright spark who decided to ditch the original theme music?????

Now, I'm no Trekkie, and I'm not killing to kill anyone for blasphemy or anything - but for me, the theme music IS Star Trek.

Sure, bravo for trying something different - but did they need to stuff around with the music?

That's just not cricket, chaps.

17. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I only saw part of the show by luck as I also didn't see any of the advertisements. I mean they advertised it all through January and then stopped. Probably about the sme time they worked out they'd show it on a Wednesday night at 1030. Not happy JAN

All in all I wasn't really excited by it, of course I did miss the first 15-20 mintues or so. I want to like it. I'm gonna try harder next time. If I remember, if it's on at the same time, if CHannel 9 hasn't been blown up by a crazed trekkie group!!!

Yeah it will be a shame that this enterprise has never been spoken about by the Kirks, picards and Janeways of the world. But myabe they'll temporally vortex this ship out of there at some point and change the timeline to explain it SM?? sounds like a possiblbilty. LOL DOn't get me wrong, I do love Star Trek, just take it aout as seriously as Star wars. :)

18. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    I don't take any of it seriously Kahlan :)
    But we all know how pedantic the stereotypical Trekkie (Trekker?) is, and they nit-pick everything :)

19. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah, not anything like us Star Wars fans.

"NO! THAT'S AN MC80A, NOT AN MC80! YOU FOOL!"

20. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    :) true

but all us Sci-fi, sci-fantasy fans are a bit odd to start with. ;)

21. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Whats an MC80?

22. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Speak for yourself, Kahlan, chippy!

I'm not strange.

Awobble.

23. Zyphyr

Zyphyr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2001
    The first thing that struck me was the music. And it struck me like projectile vomit from a drunken O-week student. Horrible! Just horrible!

Perhaps this is yet another way to show that humans haven't quite 'evolved' yet. Still violent. Still emotional. Still composing crap soft rock ballads.

I thought it was interesting that they decided to go with the cornish-pastie Klingon heads rather than the original look. Makes shooting down the series continuity much more fun [face_devil]

Aside from that the show seemed to be okay. But I am also upset that we get the series such a long time after the US. I don't even want to think about how long it'll be till we get the B5: Legends of the Rangers telemovie. :(

24. Sith Magician

Sep 14, 1999
    Perhaps this is yet another way to show that humans haven't quite 'evolved' yet. Still violent. Still emotional. Still composing crap soft rock ballads.

[face_laugh]

25. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Perhaps it is not seen on Picard's wall because it is not a Federation Enterprise - neither is it a USS Enterprise, neither is it a 1701. It is simple SS Enterprise NX-01.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.