main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mass Entertainment Weekly posts the most Vile Villains

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by sithkeith1701, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithkeith1701

sithkeith1701 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 11, 2008
    I dont know if Entertainment Weekly was posting the list of VIllains in Order, but Darth Vader was the first one on the list.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20186285_14,00.html

Check it out.

Keith

2. Darth_Beanie

Darth_Beanie Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 20, 2008
    How is Hannibal Lecter at 15 ??!!!

He should be at least number 2.

How do they not have Palpatine either ?!!!

3. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    imho, i dont think vader is the villain, i'd have to put palpatine as one. palp is so much more Machiavellian than vader. vader's more akin to a tragic figure that let circumstances overtake him instead of 'destiny' as it were.

4. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    True, but are they taking all 6 movies into consideration, or just the 'first' one (that being ANH)? In both ANH and ESB, Vader was THE villian. The black suit, the height, the breathing, the force choking and the bad-*ss red lightsaber. It wasn't until the end of ROTJ and then later in the prequels that Vader was revealed as more of a pathetic figure and Palpy was the true villian.

5. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I agree with Wormie. Those of us who know the films know how he rose as the Sith Lord he is. We know the tragic nature of his falling to the dark side and the rescue from its clutches by his son. Expecting some fluff "journalists" to go deeper than their own shallow understanding of the films is just a hopeless effort. Might as well be expecting your dog to understand theoretical physics. That also explains why Palpatine/Sidious isn't on the list.

I've only seen one series of these lists that actually was worth the time and effort they put into it: The American Film Institute's "100 years, 100 ___" series. Anyone remember VH1's problems with ranking Metal? They tried three times: once with commedians doing the worst-of, once with commedians doing the best-of. They finally got it right when they let Metal Heads do the ranking and the presentation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.