main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Entertainment Weekly Star Wars Cover Issue

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by krtmd, Nov 15, 2012.

1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    So was Kamino (exterior). This just shows you how much "research" they do or that most people complaining about CGI often can't distinguish between CGI and the real thing.

Sure, they might have gone a bit too far a few times (those plastered faces for clone troopers look fake - wasn't it easier to build a few real suits and make Morrison wear it?). But it's not "all CGI" as bashers like to claim.

2. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Two to three films a year would be MAJOR overkill...That has to be a mistake.

3. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    2-3 movies a year might cause me to go into some kind of gluttonous Star Wars coma. Where every day would feel like the day after Halloween.

4. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Yeah, the reason I didn't include it was they specifically said "planet" in the article and the planet was water and was not a model. But yes, the exterior of the Kaminoan's base was definitely a model. :)

And I remember when AOTC came out people thought all those clones were people in suits and didn't believe it when it turned out those were all CGI. i.e. they couldn't distinguish CG from actual reality. Of course nowadays a lot of those same people use them to complain about all the CG when they didn't know they were CG in the first place. Lucas just can't win, I suppose.

5. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    It's true about AOTC; I watched it with my boyfriend (future husband), he didn't realize the clones were all CGI until I told him.

Besides, even the OT was accused of being just a vehicle for the special effects. It's just now people feel nostalgic and complain about CGI.

DarthBrian likes this.
  6. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    I get the feeling they mean 2 - 3 movies per year but not necessarily SW movies. More than 1 per year would be overkill (and maybe even that).

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The original news reports said one movie every two to three years, so that's presumably what is meant.

8. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    What it says is that KK wants Lucasfilm to produce 2-3 films per year. Not just Star Wars films.

9. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Truth

DarthBrian likes this.
  10. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    The only thing EW is good for is toilet paper.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I can get behind this. It would be nice to see the other properties getting some much needed attention.

And who knows, maybe they'll even throw us a bone and give us something new.

Hitchhiking-Ghost and krtmd like this.
  12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Yea, they misquoted. The statement was two to three a year, though more than likely it will probably be three years between episodes. This was the way for the PT and the OT.

13. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    One every two to three years* my bad. Won't let me edit.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    AOTC has a vast army of Clones & battles which were CGI - Everyone complains

LOTR has a vast army of Uruk-hai & big battles which were CGI - Everyone thinks it is awesome.

Yes the effects in LOTR were better, but CGI is not the issue.

15. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    HOW SCI-FI MOVIES SHOULD BE MADE!

16. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That's what I was thinking. You won't learn anything important that you can't learn from clicking onto the links on the main page of this site.

17. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    I think there was one time when I had access to this huge pile of Entertainment Weeklys, and every single one had a Star Wars reference.

18. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The "article" was obviously rushed into print. If she's even being quoted accurately, KK could mean 2-3 Lucasfilm movies per year. Obviously they're not planning 2-3 SW movies yearly. The rest of the article repackages stale rumors, stuff they obviously read in this Forum (!), and some tired old warhorses of fandom. They just had a couple of "researchers" trawl the internet for a day grabbing stuff. Blech.

19. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    They say 2-3 a year, but in the next sentence it's "no more than 4 a decade", so it's obviously a misunderstand or mistake.
    Disagree completely about the EU in that wishlist, but other than that it's fine enough.
    Very much agree on the bluescreen thing.

20. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Was going to like this post but then you said the effects in LOTR were better. :p
    Their CG characters/models were great, sure, but their compositing was terrible at times.
    And surprisingly it wasn't much better, and was worse in some scenes, in King Kong.

21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I like FOTR the most, but CGI at times was pretty bad (it did get better with subsequent movies). Spiderman wasn't that great either. For all the flak the CGI in the prequels got, they actually hold up pretty well. I've just watch TPM on bluray, it still looks great (granted, it had more on location shots and models than the other two).

22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Shia was a big mistake? Wow.

I liked that movie. It seemed to fit with the time period -- the UFOs and such.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "As much as we all hate Ewoks, it shouldn't be ignored that they were man-eating headhunters. If we're honest, that's really kind of badass."

Love it. Still don't want them to kill Han, but...love it. That little fact does get ignored in all the complaints about how cute and fuzzy they were. It really should be easier to hate them for worshipping 3PO than for being cute and fuzzy.

Thanks for posting, Echo.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  24. Norminator

Norminator Jedi Master star 2

Nov 2, 2009
    In LotR you cared about the outcome of the battles, because there were characters there that you knew and loved, and even minor characters that died in a way that made you feel something. Clones vs Droids just didn't come anywhere close to that. I don't mind the cgi in the battle scenes, the problem was that they never mixed it up. LotR actually used extras in orc costumes to supplement the long distance shots of the CGI armies.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Vader picture is from the Episode 3 publicity photo sessions, if that counts.